TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

TPR's China/Japan 2009 Trip!

robbalvey

It`s absolutely great that we get those pictures and even an onride of fireball so soon...Robb, I love this forum...I really do.

It makes me happy...and fireballs layout is maybe the best woodie-layout I`ve ever seen. I think this could be my number one...

GeorgeT

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fireball looks fun! I am still a Gravity Group virgin and if next year I go to China, this will be it!

As for that crazy shopping mall, pretty much all Asian malls are like that. And why do all the Megalites have to be built in overseas parks...

By the way, I don't think those fish are goldfish, they look more like Koi.

That park looks SO awesome! I loved Ravine Flyer II, so that woodie must haul some serious a$$!

Robb, if you don't mind my asking...how do the mega lites compare with the likes of the other Intamin megas/hypers/giga? Are they even better than Expedition GeForce, Goliath, and Bizarro? The layout on those coasters just looks completely insane.

^Continuing on the "Robb's favorites" topic, how do the GG woodies rank in your top ten wooden coasters?

Anyway, Fireball really does look like a great ride, many of the drops seem much steeper and larger than I would guess. Any ride that is the highlight of a park with a dive machine and megalite MUST be good!

Omg, Fireball looks soooo good!

and also longer than i thought!

do you have more pictures of that dive coaster?

i also really like that East Sheikra.

These posts from Robb are just a quick recap of the time at the park and nearby activities. Others, including Robb, will surely post more photos in the future. Having been on a couple of trips with TPR I can tell you that Robb is very busy right now and probably can't handle individual request for more photos of specific rides. You will just have to be patient.

So, do we have a new dethroning of Balder? Is it that good?

As Elissa said it's good, really REALLY good but it doesn't beat out Balder or T Express for me.

I'd say it's a solid Top Ten ride and I'm sure you'll see some people even put it in their top five depending on tastes.

For the record I prefer this over Voyage. It has all of the elements I like about Voyage but without the over-the-top brutal agressiveness so you can just throw your hands in the air and have fun!

The pacing reminded me a bit of some of the best CCI woodies like Rampage, Mega Zeph and Tonerre De Zeus in that it felt out of control from start to finish and you still hit the brakes with a good amount of power.

If a park in the US ever asked for a clone or a similar layout I'm sure it would be a huge hit with both the public and coaster geeks!

--Robb

Wow. I have barely been paying attention to the Chinese parks, but I must say this new Happy Valley park is off to an amazing start. Opening with a Mega-Lite and a high-end woodie AND a B&M. I wonder if Freestyle-Hard-Rock-Music-Go-Denmark-Cafe-Park would have had better luck in its early days if it opened with this amazing of a coaster line up.

Seriously, this park opened up with a better coaster collection than the vast majority of established parks.

Anyway, I need to get to China! Actually, Asia in general.

^ Do you think a clone or similar ride would be allowed to run flat out like that one? Or would it be "tamed" like so many good rides are?

Eric

Probably ruined with trims and all that. I just don't get why it's necessary to do that to so many of the North American coasters...

But either way, I still think a Fireball clone would be awesome.

^ Do you think a clone or similar ride would be allowed to run flat out like that one? Or would it be "tamed" like so many good rides are?

Eric

It really depends on where in the US the ride is placed. Look how insane rides like Voyage and Boulder Dash run. Pretty much anywhere outside of California would give the ride a better chance at running up to full potential. Any safety inspector from California who has been to Pennsylvania would sh!t themselves upon seeing almost anything at Knoebels as well as the seatbelt free and lap-bar only Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey. Same for anything at Lakeside here in Colorado.

Although trims seem like they are installed for the sole purpose as to tame down the ride for sue-happy GP, quite often they are added to rides with poor structure design (Twister II for example) to keep the ride from tearing itself apart and to reduce maintenance costs.

Robb and Elissa, how does this mega-lite compare with the others?

It really depends on where in the US the ride is placed. Look how insane rides like Voyage and Boulder Dash run. Pretty much anywhere outside of California would give the ride a better chance at running up to full potential. Any safety inspector from California who has been to Pennsylvania would sh!t themselves upon seeing almost anything at Knoebels as well as the seatbelt free and lap-bar only Sooperdooperlooper at Hershey. Same for anything at Lakeside here in Colorado.

Or if they came to Vancouver where a crazy 50 year old woodie runs with the same old school safety systems as Phoenix at Knoebels. And not to mention where line jumping is not enforced (but not encouraged) and nobody checks bags upon entrance and you're allowed to bring your own food in.

Anyways back on topic now. Looking foreward to see the rest of the trip pictures! Especially the Suzhou Giant Wheel park with that Vekoma prototype.

robbalvey wrote:

We didn't go here. That ride never opened.

Is the park planning on opening the ride? I looked on RCDB and the ride is completely done and was testing. Seems like a waste if they're never going to open it.

No clue. I just know it won't be open during our trip so there was no point in wasting time to go view a closed roller coaster.

We have a thread about the stingray coaster if you want to discuss it there. Otherwise this thread us about out current China trip and the parks and rides we visited during it.

--Robb "Stay on topic!" Alvey

That park really does seem like one of those dream parks with a world class collection.

Is there any idea of when the Intamin mine train will open (or if it already is)? I saw one picture of it in a PTR a couple weeks ago and was immediately intrigued by it.