TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

3 hours ago, Garet said:

Why is this suddenly a thing for rides that have been around a while? I've seen more news articles on this issue this week than in my whole life. Is it because these rides originated in Asia? (Mario Kart from Japan and Tron from Shanghai). I know Asia can have pretty low limits, I've seen water slides here in Korea with a 90kg weight limit per rider.

Originated in Asia?!?  Stop listening to distwitter.  Vekoma had been making motorbike coasters long before one ended up in Asia.  No, the ride was not made for Chinese or any asian country.  And simply put, it's a thing now because we have gotten much fatter as a nation.  Coaster designs that we weren't getting in America are now here.  It's like how people blamed intamin because they couldn't fit the seats like they could on a beemer.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I would take all of this with a grain of salt. One person can post about it being restrictive on Twitter and there are endless horrible clickbait Disney blogs and YouTube sites that will cite that one tweet and make it a huge news story.

I would agree.  There were similar stories after FOP opened and I've heard little about it since.  I worried about my own ability to fit there and I do about Tron, but I have had little trouble with FOP.  I saw a YouTube video today from a guy making it on Tron on his second attempt.  His biggest issue was the size of his calves and the leg bar and he figured it out at the test seat with a helpful cast member.  For reference, his build (5'8", he said 42 inch waist and I would assume he was around 280 lbs) is similar to mine and I would have a similar worry about my calves.

• Like 1

Yeah, it just takes some practice to get on it if you have big legs or a big build.  Most people have not ridden a real motorbike coaster like this before.  That's the problem. They think they have! They think Hagrid's is a motorbike but it's not at all.  This Vekoma version is the real deal and you lay down like on a sport bike. I saw people yesterday refusing to get in the proper riding position and then getting angry that they couldn't fit.  If you can't get in the position or you have VERY large legs, just go ride in the back modified seats, no big deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

^Oh! Great question which I can answer!

The lockers were great! Better than VelociCoaster in a few ways...

- Bigger locker

- Bigger locker area (not as cramped)

- More lockers (so you're not waiting for a locker instead of waiting for the ride which I've seen a few times on VelociCoaster)

They use your magic band/ticket and it was a fast process. If you don't have a band/ticket (phone bluetooth app doesn't work as of now) they give you an RFID card.

There's also a little lighted cubby ON the bike itself where I would put my phone and keys. No metal detectors or anything so you can bring stuff with you as long as it's small. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I found interesting video from ReviewTyme. 
Apparently, he is frustrated that Disney is making same ride in different place, like Runaway Railway, and Tron LightCycle Run. 

Some people say parks should have different, unique rides to make themselves special, but for Tron LightCycle Run, I disagree, since due to China's disastrous Zero-Covid policy, I became uncomfortable with visiting China anytime soon, so I hoped Disney could bring the Tron light cycle to the USA, and with that happening, I'm delighted to see it in Magic Kingdom, and I can't wait to go on it.

What are your opinion? 

Should Disney have different unique rides that could be experienced at only one park, or multiple parks so guests can ride it in their town without leaving to another country? 

Yeah I could care less, but I do think it's kind of cool when they build slightly different versions of the same attraction. Like Tower of Terror what are there like 4 different versions using that same ride system across the planet? Space Mountains are all slightly different, there are more examples I can't think of but I always did appreciate those little changes.

• Like 1

I mean, I kinda get it.  It would be nice to have unique and solitary rides and attractions at each park as the world has gotten smaller and more accessible.  However, my argument is more so towards disneyland CA and disney world.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We have news out of Destination D23 for all sorts of new stuff coming to Magic Kingdom!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/09/new-country-bear-disney-songs-pirates-lounge-hatbox-ghost-coming-to-magic-kingdom/

image.thumb.png.48b2354dd24652166951a6d8253983d9.png

Country Bear Jamboree will be getting new songs and the bears will be performing a new act!

Disney Imagineer Chris Beatty told the Destination D23 audience that when the show debuts, the bears will be reinterpreting favorite Disney songs in different genres of country music – like rockabilly, bluegrass, pop-country and other styles. 

Imagineers are envisioning the new take as a homage to the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville and they’re working with Nashville musicians to get the authentic country sound.  The popular attraction will continue to have the fun and friendly tone and same characters.

image.png.a7e255696487e5f1472ccc2a34ceb966.png

In late November, the legendary Hatbox Ghost will be materializing in the Haunted Mansion attraction in Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

The iconic grim grinning ghost will appear in the Haunted Mansion attraction as you pass the Endless Hallway, welcoming himself inside from the swinging wake in the cemetery and grinning at passing Doom Buggies.

Imagineer Daniel Joseph joined Josh on the Destination D23 stage over the weekend for the announcement and shared details about the arrival of Hatbox Ghost. 

image.thumb.png.7be0b8bd40e5aa86f062b2229226150a.png

Also, a new Pirates of the Caribbean-themed lounge is coming to Adventureland at Magic Kingdom Park in Florida. 

This first-of-its-kind experience will extend the story of Pirates of the Caribbean attraction.  Imagineers are currently in the design process and more details will be coming.

• Like 5

• 4 months later...

I got on Tron last week, ended up in one of the very last boarding groups for the night so was thinking we might not make it on but ended up getting lucky and getting assigned to the front row. The launch is awesome and hitting the outside part at night was visually really cool. 

I liked the theme of racing against the orange team but was definitely hard to notice all of it on only 1 ride since you go by it all pretty quick. I do wish the ride was a bit longer and would definitely have liked to ride it some more but that aspect is what it is. 

Looked like a lot of work was done on the Splash to Tianas conversion on the outside portion but it's definitely weird going to the park and not seeing the ride. There's a lot of green around what you can see from the walkways by it. I'm just hoping the new ride is fun. 

I know Genie+ is a big topic of annoyance on a lot of Disney boards but I wouldn't ever visit the parks without it. We saved 4 hours alone just from Pan, Mansion and Winnie the Pooh ride and meeting Mickey. With how little we actually go to the parks any lines we can skip waiting on is a real bonus for us. 

• Like 1

Going to be in Orlando next week and ended up buying tickets to After Hours on Monday. The price point is, on one hand, kind of insane. On the other hand, when you factor how much a day ticket plus Genie+ costs, it's not that far off and the idea of being at an empty Magic Kingdom for a few hours plus free snacks and drinks was too good to pass up.

Has anyone else been to one of these yet?

12 hours ago, Zand said:

Going to be in Orlando next week and ended up buying tickets to After Hours on Monday. The price point is, on one hand, kind of insane. On the other hand, when you factor how much a day ticket plus Genie+ costs, it's not that far off and the idea of being at an empty Magic Kingdom for a few hours plus free snacks and drinks was too good to pass up.

Has anyone else been to one of these yet?

We did the 2021 post covid Halloween party that was essentially an after hours event. Everything was a walk on except SDMT I believe (due to overflow from day guests)

• Like 1

We did After Hours on Monday and it was a really great event, but somehow even 6 hours, 3 of which were in a totally dead park, didn't feel like enough! Part of that was our fault, the wife insisted on dinner at Be Our Guest which was at 9:00 and kind of ran over into the After Hours portion of the night. Also we watched the second fireworks show, then rode Astro Orbiter before heading to Tron. I feel like everyone watching the fireworks all marched right over to Tron afterwards which resulted in us probably hitting the line when it was at its longest (40 mins). 

Missed Big Thunder which is a bummer as it was down when I circled that end of the park. Also missed Pirates for some reason. Like I said, those 6 hours go very quickly. But walk on Jungle Cruise, Mansion, Space Mountain, Seven Dwarfs, etc was really fun and it was a cool atmosphere in the park late at night. It was borderline bizarre on the Adventureland side of the park which was totally deserted. I would definitely do this again for Magic Kingdom and, as someone who very rarely gets to Disney, I also feel like it would be totally worth it to do this at Hollywood Studios. 

Just a heads up, and everyone else might already know this, but be aware that the Monorail stops running before the park closes and you have to take the ferry which had a line and it was almost 2 am when we got to the car.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've heard 5-years-old is about the perfect age for Disney. This year, we've planned Pensacola and back to Holiday World. She doesn't ride roller coasters. I only want to go once to check it off the list. I'm pretty sure children's services gets involved if you have a middle class salary and don't visit once.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, prozach626 said:

I've heard 5-years-old is about the perfect age for Disney. This year, we've planned Pensacola and back to Holiday World. She doesn't ride roller coasters. I only want to go once to check it off the list. I'm pretty sure children's services gets involved if you have a middle class salary and don't visit once.

Thoughts?

Any age. We did a day at MK with my daughter when she was a year and 9 months old and i'll never forget the look on her face and her reactions when she met Mickey the first time. Plenty of rides she could do too. 40 inches is the first major benchmark for the majority of rides. Only a few are higher - RNRC (48), Space Mtn (44), FOP (44) and Everest (44)

• Like 1

She'll be 42 by next year for sure. She's tall and lean. But, she's in the "afraid of everything" stage when it comes to roller coasters and log flumes. She even went through a phase where she was afraid of tunnels.

The two roller skaters we went on made her terrified of roller coasters. Those things are epic pieces of shit, so she thinks all of them are "too bumpy" now.

She's riding Rookie Racer this year. She may not want to, but she is. My dad made me ride the Ninja and look where we are now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think any age works, but we waited until my daughter turned 5 and did a huge, no-expense-spared trip for her birthday week.  If there is a perfect age, I would say it's that and I say that knowing that 5 people could respond to that question with 5 completely different answers.  She was in awe of everything even without a wide knowledge of all things Disney, loved the characters, had the stamina for the marathon days, and didn't get real antsy waiting in lines (she's probably worse with that as a 13 year old).  She's a competitive cheerleader so we've gone every spring since 2021 and we leave for her 6th trip in 9 days.  Getting in a couple of trips early on has made these more recent trips a lot more fun.  We pick and choose what we like to do and we don't have the nagging feeling that we have to do all the things.  At the end of the day it's Disney.  Even if you screw it up, it's still better than a good day at work.