TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

I'll be going on the first day of Fright Fest, September 24th. I'll also be getting my 2017 season pass when I go. However it looks like Fright Fest is not going to be as good as last year. No new haunted houses have been announced and it looks like we lost two houses from last year.

I just saw on Twitter that East River Crawler will be renamed The Lobster, it's original name.

Demon could be revamped into a Chance Hyper GT-X like Lightning Run. They could keep the station, lift hill + high turnaround, corkscrews, and helix finale, then the rest of the ride is all new track. The drop would be steeper, the loops ironically replaced by Turn of the Century style airtime hills, and then the rest of the space would be Lightning Run style banked turns and smaller ejector airtime hills. The corkscrews and helix could of course be replaced by small ejector air bunny hops, but I'd prefer the corkscrews be retained and retracked.

Demon could be revamped into a Chance Hyper GT-X like Lightning Run. They could keep the station, lift hill + high turnaround, corkscrews, and helix finale, then the rest of the ride is all new track. The drop would be steeper, the loops ironically replaced by Turn of the Century style airtime hills, and then the rest of the space would be Lightning Run style banked turns and smaller ejector airtime hills. The corkscrews and helix could of course be replaced by small ejector air bunny hops, but I'd prefer the corkscrews be retained and retracked.

How about just give it Soft Straps instead

The goal would be for it to be the steel airtime machine that the park needs, and for it to have only a lap bar like Lightning Run. Thus they would replace the loops with the airtime hills on the original Turn of the Century, and not go too much faster through the corkscrews or just replace the corkscrews with airtime hills or the ski-slalom turns on LR at KK. Alternatively, the Demon could be removed entirely and a Chance GT-X built ground up in its place for only 7 or 8 million $.

Honestly Demon isn't even that bad of a ride, especially for an Arrow built 40 years ago.

Honestly Demon isn't even that bad of a ride, especially for an Arrow built 40 years ago.

I just rode it last month and it's still great. It's way smoother than I expected.

I do love how the Demon has become progressively smoother in recent years, and I think that is a good reason to update the ride using half of the existing track. Either for of before the Park's and Demon's 45th anniversary in 2021, they could do the Chance GT-X remodel, or at the very least remove the unnecessary OSTRs and replace them with lap bars and possibly bring back the Turn of the Century airtime hills.

Yeah, Demon isn't bad at all. The corkscrews were the only part that really batted me around, but that's to be expected from Arrow, and it wasn't really that bad for Arrow.

I would love to see better restraints, but it's really not necessary, because it's not too rough yet.

Just remove the VR and give it to some other coaster. Trust me, I rode it less than a month ago with and without the VR (I had a flash pass)

The Demon without the VR is okay at the least, fun coaster as usual.

Demon with the VR is bad. This thing gives you no room to move your head around unless you're tall enough that your head isn't stuck between the restraints (I'm a shortie), and it's (censored)-ing basic (The VR I mean)

But yes, I'd say give it the restraints that are on Blue Hawk.

They probably won't remove it for a while though...

Go to 55 seconds in to see what I mean

Wait you guys want to eliminate Demon? SFSL home park here - I'd kill to have our Arrow feel like yours. Ninja makes you feel like you went a couple rounds with Bruce Lee.

It may be an Arrow, but it is a really well done Arrow. I felt pretty good about Raging Bull's airtime. Then again this is coming from someone that has a park with basically zero steel airtime.

^ My wish for 2017 was Ninja getting replaced with a Zamperla Giant Discovery

I also love that airtime moment, so I only ride Demon in the back. I say just replace the OSTRs with lapbars, as the corkscrews are taken slowly enough that OSTRs or vests are both completely unnecessary.

I've heard the reason why it has OTSR's is cause people (Let's assume stupid teens) threw rocks at lights in the tunnels. Course they also say Batman has to be yellow is because DC decides colors.

Just remove the VR and give it to some other coaster. Trust me, I rode it less than a month ago with and without the VR (I had a flash pass)

The Demon without the VR is okay at the least, fun coaster as usual.

Demon with the VR is bad. This thing gives you no room to move your head around unless you're tall enough that your head isn't stuck between the restraints (I'm a shortie), and it's (censored)-ing basic (The VR I mean)

But yes, I'd say give it the restraints that are on Blue Hawk.

They probably won't remove it for a while though...

Go to 55 seconds in to see what I mean

Or just remove the VR all together. I have yet to expirence VR at any park I've visited, but I heard I'm not missing much, plus the dispatch/wait times are horrendous all around it seems.

I always ride Demon in the middle to avoid roughness, such as cars 3-4 or the last row of car 2. Every other car is a bit rough, mostly in the corkscrews. Personally I do enjoy Demon, the VR is really cool, but I don't really feel it should be permanent because it is a little gimmicky. I don't see VR as a bad thing but I don't think it's everything, and I personally like a roller coaster where you're sitting and looking at the track and the world around you as opposed to viewing through a screen.

^ My wish for 2017 was Ninja getting replaced with a Zamperla Giant Discovery

I also love that airtime moment, so I only ride Demon in the back. I say just replace the OSTRs with lapbars, as the corkscrews are taken slowly enough that OSTRs or vests are both completely unnecessary.

I've heard the reason why it has OTSR's is cause people (Let's assume stupid teens) threw rocks at lights in the tunnels. Course they also say Batman has to be yellow is because DC decides colors.

I'm not sure it is a DC thing. St. Louis is still black.

I hope beyond hope that SFGAm management realizes that on top of missing a complete circuit launch coaster, we are missing one or more coasters that accomplish 3 things:

1. Another coaster longer than 5,000 ft long and longer than 1 minute from top of lift hill to brakes.

2. A 90+ mph coaster

3. A steel airtime machine with loads of floater air and/or several pops of ejector air in every seat.

All 3 of these holes in the park's offering can be fixed by one coaster, an out and back giga coaster that starts from either along Yukon and Orleans to front of park and back, or potentially replacing American Eagle for their 2020/2021 coaster addition.

Katy Enrique has talked about the lack of a 2nd launched coaster before, so it seems they will likely go with a Premier, Mack, etc launched coaster, but with the Park's increased revenues and popularity, they should have built up enough profit to build a $30 million giga for 2021 or 2022.

Wow, there's just so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to begin. I think this sums up my thoughts pretty well:

I mean, I want my home park to have a $30 million budget for rides too...

But yea, it ain't happening. Just once I want some of the few remaining SFGAm fans around here to have realistic expectations and insightful speculation. Enough with the Coaster Nerd wet dreams.

Wow, there's just so much wrong with that post that I don't know where to begin. I think this sums up my thoughts pretty well:

But yea, it ain't happening. Just once I want some of the few remaining SFGAm fans around here to have realistic expectations and insightful speculation. Enough with the Coaster Nerd wet dreams.

OK, How about these:

- New Show in Grand Music Hall (Hoping for Lip Sync Battle)

- Holiday In the Park in 2017

- DC Superfriends Land replacing the beyond dated Camp Cartoon

- Wings and Smoothies added/re-added to the Dining Pass

- 3rd Coke Freestyle in County Fair/Hurricane Harbor

- Funtime 230ft Star Flyer where Dare Devil Dive is

- Zamperla Giant Discovery replacing Revolution

- Demon getting Soft Vests

- Rocket Blast Water Coaster added above/around Viper

- Zamperla Endeavor replacing Sky Trail

Events;

- 2am to 2am 24 Hour Day

- Bugs Bunny's Not So Sober Oktoberfest in September

- For One Day, Play only Weird Al songs

- For One Day, Rickroll the park from open to close

And the Ultimate Wish: Someone else to do announcement videos.

Some of things the park needs:

1)Flat ride package is a desperate need: some possible great additions to choose from

-Zamperla Giant Discovery

-Zamperla Hawk

-Zamperla Endeavour

-Huss Enterprise 2GH/2GH Plus

-Huss Fly Away

-Gmbh Sky Roller

-Gmbh Sky Fly

-Mondial Inferno

-Mondial Top Scan

-Sky Screamer (prefer windseekers but SF uses skyscreamers unlike CF)

-S&S screaming swing

2)Launch Coaster-many good options that are in SF current price range of 10M and under for coasters

-Sky Rocket III (Throttle @ SFMM)

-Sky Rocket II(Superman @ SFDK)

-S&S El Loco (Galeforce @ Ocean City)

-Infinity Coaster (Karacho @ Erlebnispark Tripsdrill)

-Zierer Tower launch (Impulse @ Knoebels)

3)Non-Launch Coasters

-Chance Hyper GT-X (Lightning Run @ Kentucky Kingdom)

-Euro Fighter 3 models to choose from or custom

-Zamperla - (Thunderbolt @ Luna Park)

Edited by schoup