TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Phobias and Fear

I am completely terrified of anything...deadly. Poisonous snakes and spiders scare the crap out of me...

Drowning is also another big fear of mine. I love the lake, and water-sports are awesome, but if I get pushed/held under, I completely freak out. (And yes, I can swim...I'm a lifeguard. LOL)

Now, give me a horror movie any day...I'll probably just laugh at it.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Needles....I can't stand them if I see them. I had to get stitches last night after I cut open my finger on a can lid at work. I shut my eyes and didn't have any issues. Maybe I am over that fear. Also, heights..yes heights. If I am on a ladder above 8 feet or near the top of the ladder, it scares the crap out of me. I have some friends who laugh that I can ride coasters, but I am secure in a belt and/or bar so that doesn't bother me,

Waves. I can't stand waves. It's been years since I last went in the ocean it's that bad. I can't stand that feeling of of being blindly tossed around while being unable to breathe. I can't even go in the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon.

This is a weird one, but... large ships. Cruise liners, cargo ships, anything like that. I can't stand them. I don't have a problem with the smaller ones, I've even been on a few of them. But if they're bigger than a ferry boat, no way.

My other fear is deep water. Like, I love the beach, but I refuse to go out further than about twenty feet from the shore. Plus, I've never been into a pool deeper than nine feet, and even in that pool, I never went to the bottom of the deep end.

Obviously, I won't be going on any cruises or joining the Navy any time soon.

Ooh, I just thought of another one: I have this fear that every time I'm in a crowd of people, somebody is going to come up and kidnap me. Also, when people follow me for more than two or three minutes while I'm driving, I think they're trying to follow me home so they can kill me.

I don't know what you would call that last one.

EDIT: I also suffer from astraphobia, the fear of thunderstorms. Whenever a storm rolls through town, I can't help but to start panicking and I make a B-line for my basement. Even if it's just a ten-minute rainshower, if there's lightning and thunder, I freak out. I've gotten a lot better about it since I was a kid (five or six years ago, I wouldn't leave the house if there was a storm in my town's general area), but it's a still-recurring ordeal.

Edited by no_brain_er

While it might not be cave crickets, but I am afraid of the snow. No joke, will not go out in it, hate it, freaks the shit out of me. I nearly dies in a fairly bad car crash 22 years ago and haven't let the fear go. I live in Oregon for gods sake, we get ... SNOW! oh, well, I deal with it the best I can.

I am absolutely terrified of snakes. They are evil. They are a head and a neck with no body and poisoned teeth. I can't look at them in books, I can't watch if they are on telly and have to get my feet off the floor in case there's one under the chair. I also get the fear when I go into the cellar that there will be one waiting under the stairs. And I always check the toilet bowl in case there's one in there too!

I know it's irrational and I'm a loser but I get goosebumps and everything. I hate them.

Not to sound really general, but I'm scared of the "unknown." Certain alien stuff can creep me out. Or other ghosty type things. I also have a fear of some sort of a breakout of a global virus.

And reading through some others reminded me. I HATE driving next to water. Especially "mean" looking water. Most bridges I'm fine going over, but some can get to me. I hate living in NY in the winter, and driving right level to any of the many lakes around here when they're frozen or gray and snowy. That's bothersome.

What I'm about to say will probably top any thing and everything said so far in this thread. I'm not scared of snakes, spiders, insects, vommit, heights, I used to be claustrophobic but I'm not anymore, and I'm not scared of needles or sharp objects. What I am afraid of is most vegetables. Cabage and lettuce are the worst in my opinion really. now my fear isn't of touching them or smelling them or seeing them, my fear is just eating them. I've done it in the past and I will never again. Same goes for tomatoes, strawberries, cherries, and peaches. There are some vegetables I'm fine with though, mostly just the starches.

Other than that, my only other fear is of the things that aren't there that can actually cause harm to me. Demons are the primary concern in this. That's why the first time I watched Paranormal Activity the footprints scene actually startled me.

Over all though I have no, debilitating fears. Nothing that will put me on the ground in a fetal position, but there are things that cause me to be like, "No way man, I'm not going there or doing that."

Bugs - Had a bout of bedbugs in the summer, and found some crawling on my pillow before going to sleep. Needless to say, I didn't sleep a lot that summer. Also hate most other bugs, especially when they're in my room.

Drowning - 'nuf said.

Death - 'nuf said.

Failure - Specifically the fear that after all this time and money spent in university I won't find a job I like or one that suits me.

Dentist - They always seem to find something or lecture me for not having braces....sorry for not being able to afford it, jerk.

Snakes- had a couple of very unnerving encounters with them when I was really little, and it's scarred me for life.

Clowns- They're way too happy. Plus the opening of the James Bond movie Octopussy has someone dressed as a clown getting murdered, and the image of clown corpses freaks me out.

Rejection- I'm terrified that people aren't going to accept me for who I am

Failure- I'm really nervous that I'm not going to get anything out of my life, beacuse I fear that no matter how ahrd I try, it's never good enough.

Staircases- If I try walking down a staircase that's more than five feet long, I always stumble and freeze. I literally have to force myslef to move. Probably the worst incident of this phobia happened when I was in Israel two years ago, at Masada, which is a city built on top of a cliff. There's a staircase leading down the cliffside that is fairly steep, has lots of switchbacks, and in several places, no railings. I had to be almost carried down because I was so scared, I was crying my eyes out and I could not move my legs.

I have some strange fears....

- Heights - Yeah, my fear of heights is still there despite being a coaster enthusiast; however, on a coaster, the feeling of being in a high place doesn't last long. I can also sit in an airplane or on a skyscraper and still feel safe, but when walking down a steep staircase or standing over a huge cliff with no barriers between, I get antsy. However there's a weird connection that goes with this...

- I hate platforming levels in video games that involve going over enormous gaps and standing on small platforms. It gets worse with autoscroll levels.

- Getting hurt - For some reason I'm afraid of pain. I guess it's an uncomfortable feeling I don't like to deal with. I also don't like getting my feelings hurt either. My fear of needles also falls under this, although the shots I received last week got me over that quick.. This goes with another weird video game-related fear.

- Levels that force me to go over huge lava pools/spikes.

- Surgery - Ugh... I hate surgery. Not only do I get cut up, but I also feel miserable afterward. On top of that, I'm confined to a bed until the effects wear off. I often find myself feeling very nervous before, during, and after surgeries.

- Exams - Especially for classes that I'm not doing well in or that I'm forced to pass in order to move on. Even if I'm well-prepared, I still find myself very nervous before an exam or a major test.

- Public speaking - Same as the exams...

So you could say I'm just a giant chicken.

I have a very unusaul one. I am terrified of standing on ladders. I am in no way afraid of heights if there is some kind of harness, but there are just some things I cant do. I once did a tightwalk thing with a restraint and was terrified, but it wobbled and it freaked me out. I can fly, go on rollercoasters and huge water slides. I even went on a vertical waterslider at raging waters a few years ago, but if something is at all wobbly count me out. Also, when I snowboard I am semo terrified of falling, but every time I fall its no big deal, but before I fall I have a mini panic attack.

Some people are scared of clowns, I'm scared of transgendered people.

I'd never discriminate against someone who is a tranny, I'm just really uncomfortable around them.

Female to male, not so bad. I'm royally creeped out by the male to females that "lose" their manhood.

Other fears include heights, elevators, frogs, bats (the animal variety not baseball bats), fish with buggy eyes, hardcore Republicans and long escalators.

There was a very serious escalator accident at Oriole Park a couple of years after the ballpark opened that killed a couple of people when it suddenly stopped.

I can't ride the escalator for the Dupont Circle (DC) Metro stop. Between the length of the escalator and the pattern in the concrete going down (or up) into the station, I get motion sickness. Usually feel like I'm going to pass out or throw up if I ride it and don't close my eyes.

My friends laugh cause I'll ride any coaster or flat ride out there but can't handle an escalator ride.

• 2 weeks later...

My sensei (in Aikido) totally scares me. I hate it when he calls me up to demonstrate a technique. Since I'm getting close to black belt, he throws me around hard and gives me sh!t in front of everyone when I don't take the falls as gracefully as he'd like. Just knowing how easily that 6th degree black belt could put me in a hospital or grave makes me shudder. I both admire and fear him.

-Doug

Oh man I'm so glad to hear so many people have the same thing with vomit as I do, I don't think I'm nearly as bad though as it's just seeing someone else do it that gets to me. I had to clean it up way more then enough times working at Cedar Point so I think that might of helped (as it was gross but it was already out so no harm done). And it's weird cause if it's a quick one time small amount thing I'm really grossed out, but generally ok; it's when comedy movies have the extended hose-attached-to-the-side-of-the-head bits that make me want to turn it off or leave! And it seems to be a go-to bit in like every movie now so I actually usually don't watch a movie without reading the parental review (not artistic review, I couldn't care less what they thought of the movie) of it on Screenit cause they list the vomit under the blood/gore section.

I also hate insects. If it's not a cat, dog or reptile get it the hell away from me!

Fears, & things that 'disturb' or horrify me

Pool drains & some other drains

Cold water & drowning

Dangerous fires & dying in a fire

Graphic and/or disturbing photos, especially of humans

Death & Hell

The otter exhibit at the zoo (drains), the penguin exhibit at the zoo (water & possibility of drains)

Severe pain, severe illness, severe injury, debilitation

My future

Dead insects; insects, especially large ones; touching pictures of insects

Sewer rats; animals in unwanted/inappropriate places (i.e. infestations)

Steep drop-offs; narrow balconies/lookouts

Negative feelings, extreme stress

Metal pipes; turbines & large propellers; medium & large fans

Small, run-down or old-fashioned motel showers (i.e. Motel 6)

Anything unpredictable in a motel bathroom (water temperature or pressure, fan sounds, reliability of shower components)

Nightmares

Swiss cheese; groups of asymmetrical/non-alike holes, i.e. in cupcakes or in mud on the ground

Some burned objects, especially toys, and images thereof; some otherwise ruined objects (i.e. in a shipwreck)

Creepy museum exhibits (worn-out, disturbing, involves water or air in an upredictable way)

Entrapment in a confined space

Objects moving on their own (i.e. rocking chairs)

Eerie images; hauntings & images, stories or experiences thereof

Watching injections, incisions or surgical procedures