TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

Well, I know that the opening won't be all fun...From what I heard, Superman won't be open because of lift hill chain complications again.

If true, that is horrid. They've had several months to get SROS fixed. I was going to go to SFNE this weekend, but the airline I had tickets on went under. It sounds like they may have done me a favor.

They should've gotten the proper permits before they started building and all.. but still! This seems like its just some local politicians trying to make a name for themselves. I can't even imagine the amount of money that SFNE pumps in to the local economy.. hotels.. restaurants.. taxes.. you name it!

You would think.. especially how regional parks *could* see a decent rise in attendence this year because people cant afford the big multi day vacations.. that they wouldn't have gone as far as to shut down/stall the construction on a ride that will ultimately help local business.

I will be in the park this weekend, If I see anything worth taking pics of I will. I do plan to look over the site real well and will pass on what I see.

It would have to be a fast project to be done in the time frame but who knows.

It seems a classical case of bureaucrats almost killing the goose that lays the golden egg because of their own bitchy little agendas.

If the Agawam local govt doesn't want SFNE, Six Flags are more than welcome to relocate it to me hometown - well I'd settle for just Superman.

lol

Six Flags is not the victim here, they didn't apply for the proper permits and decided to build anyway. The town should be giving them a hard time.

They did apply for them, they just got a head start with construction before getting the final issue of the permits. And I do agree how it is SFNE's own fault for starting too early and having to go through the red tape. They're being treated like any other business that doesn't follow the rules.

Screamscape.com has a little update

In the aftermath of our story about the death of The Dark Knight Coaster, it seems Six Flags did a little quick revamping of their website once again and returned The Dark Knight to the SFNE website. The front of the main national SF website now also says “Coming To 3 Parks” once again, but if you click on the “Learn More” button they still have left (for now…) the edited version of the site that clearly says that the ride will only open at two parks in 2008… Six Flags Great America and Six Flags Great Adventure. From what I’ve heard… nothing has changed and The Dark Knight is still dead. They simply were not ready to make an announcement about it yet and the removal of the ride from the site yesterday was causing a bit of an uproar. At this point all I can say is to just wait and see how this all unfolds.

Now even I got confused when I read this because it sounds like the entire coaster is on the chopping block...but not exactly..

Lance said this to me in an e-mail reply..

It hasn't been pulled because of the New for 2008 bit... it's been pulled because the coaster, as "The Dark Knight Coaster" at least... will no longer be coming to SFNE. It will end up being the same "coaster" of course just minus the themeing... music... special effects... walls... etc...

From what I've been reading on how the fire suppression system and emergency exits for the ride are being finalized, i believe everything will be saved when they get the building permits.

I don't see anywhere official that indicates it is opening any differently than intended (except for the date of opening). I honestly don't know what all the speculation is about.

The (temporary) removal from the website was probably a last-minute marketing move because it will be opening late in the season so they're going to try to "save the hype" so to speak. The decision to put it back was probably a result of further marketing talks. It's all about the opening date; nothing to do with whether or not the coaster is still going to be built. The most recent statements from the park support this.

And the whole situation in general is just weird. From what I understand (based on my following it closely and general knowledge of this sort of thing), the original stop order was issued because it was clear they began building the "tall" building before receiving the height variance. All of the subsequent problems have been a result of the town "looking more closely" at the project because of this supposed violation.

As far as the most recent fire suppression systems, etc., the permits don't even need to be in their hands until just before the building is occupied (again, from my understanding). I don't know why the town is preventing them from continuing with construction. The GM has noted that they knew they'd need to get these permits but, due to their experience, they took the gamble that the permits would be granted prior to occupying the building. If officials didn't like the system they had, it would have not been good, but, again, it was a gamble they wanted to take to speed things up.

In conclusion, this whole thing has been sensationalized way too much, both by the town and by everyone speculating as to what's going on. It was a small problem that the town seemed to make bigger than it needs to be.

Someone please correct me if I'm missing something.

I just got a phone call from Six Flags New England in response to an email I wrote asking about The Dark Knight (wow, they actually called me!).

The gist of it is that The Dark Knight will not be opening in 2008, and the person on the phone would not comment on whether or not they would open it for 2009. Instead, SFNE will be getting a copy of the Glow in the Park parade that is opening at Great Adventure. I'm not aware of any other major parades being held in SFNE, so the logistics of this will be interesting.

EDIT: Lance over at ScreamScape beat me to it apparently. See his blurb here. Six Flags has an official announcement on their web site here.

They must have used the same project manager that tried to pass V2 @ SFMW off as 180ft (or whatever the issue was)...

For all the good new management is doing, this is a huge setback. This is a multi-million dollar screw up for a company that needs every dollar it can get...They now have to eat the cost of the ride AND deal with lost attendance.

>_O last I checked they still had that huge crane in the skyline every time i drive to and from work/school.

I dont think construction is haluted.

The coaster is officially cancelled for 08. They are taking apart what was put together. Aside from that, who knows if it will make a appearence in 09.

Yup, according to Six Flags, Dark Knight is officially not opening in 2008:

http://www.sixflags.com/newEngland/info/news_glowinthepark.aspx

Six Flags New England announced today that due to a series of unforeseen delays, The Dark Knight Coaster will not open in 2008 and an all-new attraction, The Glow in the Park Parade, will make its debut in early summer.

"Given what we always knew was a challenging construction schedule, we have been proceeding along a parallel track with a contingency plan for the 2008 season and we're very excited to announce Glow in the Park — a phenomenal nighttime extravaganza that will blow our guests away," said Six Flags New England President Larry Litton.

Glow in the Park is the brainchild of world renowned creative director Gary Goddard, the mastermind behind a long list of major attractions including the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman, Star Trek: The Experience and the Jurassic Park River Adventure at the Universal theme parks. Goddard, who also designed The Georgia Aquarium as well as numerous attractions in Las Vegas and Hollywood, has enlisted one of Cirque Du Soleil's premiere composers, Benoit Jutras, to create the music for the parade. For float designs, the internationally acclaimed conceptual parade designer Raul Rodriguez was commissioned. Michael La Fleur, whose resume includes artistic coordinator for Celine Dion's "A New Day" in Las Vegas and Imagineer for Disney, will create fluid choreographed numbers for the Glow in the Park performers.

That makes sense, I went to SFNE on Sat for their opening day & all that was there was the shell of the building. No track or activity inside & out. Given the progress I've seen of the other 2 coasters it seemed strange that this one was so far behind. Well, that's alright we'll have it to look forward to next year. I definately plan to ride the one at SFGA this summer, so that works.

^Are you sure?

It doesn't say anywhere in there that they'll build it for next year!

Then what would happen to the building that it was going to be built in? it would be a total waste to demolish it.