TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 829: Adventure Port themed area announced for 2023!

This ride is awful. Good riddance.

The timing is very weird though, I almost wonder if it was a last minute decision to remove it this offseason based on maintenance needs or something. I personally don’t expect them to replace it for awhile so I doubt that it’s being removed because they need the spot for immediate expansion.

for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.

Anaconda? Viper? Rolling down hill in a shopping cart and getting hit by an Escalade?

for the past decade Vortex has filled the void in my heart. I thought losing volcano this past year was hard, but this downright tears me apart, there will never be another like it.

Anaconda? Viper? Rolling down hill in a shopping cart and getting hit by an Escalade?

Yeah, that's pretty much the Vortex experience in a nutshell, right there!

Damn. I would trade Carowinds' Vortex for KI's any day. I love Arrow loopers and Corkscrew at CP is probably the only one I've ridden that I'd never ride again. Glad I got to ride Vortex a few times. I wish there was an easier process for rehabbing old steel coasters. Can't all be Schwarzkopf, I guess. :shrugs:

I'll miss it because I grew up with it. Of course this is one of two seasons in my life that I didn't go to KI

I'll get over it because to be honest I have skipped it on a handful of visits because yeah it's a jerky old Arrow.

The park will definitely experience some love/hate from Cincinnati but in the end people will realize it's 30 some years old and they will do justice when they replace it. Obviously it will take some time due to Orion (easy way to make you forget about an old Arrow!).

RIP to that very decent first drop, which for a long time was the only good source of airtime on a coaster at Kings Island until Diamondback showed up

Why is it though that the Loch Ness Monster is still doing so well? if a steel coaster has an average service life of 20 years and it's been open 41 years, it's interesting.

Loch Ness Monster is good.

People act like coasters have finite service lives but 99% of the time removing a coaster because it’s “at the end of it’s service life” is just code for the park not wanting to spend a ton of money on maintenance for a ride that’s not popular enough to make doing so a sensible financial decision.

just woke up to the news and im still like WTF. I honestly dont think its that bad of a ride but i understand why its being removed. I remember working the ride in '16 and checking restraints gave me some good blisters on my hands haha. Im sure gonna miss it. Crazy to think in 3 years the skyline has changed with two coasters gone and one replacement. Wonder if with the removal we will see a new coaster in 2021 or 2022.

Vortex and other mega loopers put more stress on track and trains then Loch Ness monster and a few of the smaller ones if I had to guess. Probably future plans come into play here as well.

I’m just bummed they waited until the end of the season. I’m a huge arrow megalooper fan and I’ve never been to kings island. If they announced in the spring that this would be the last season I would have put together an Ohio trip. It’s too late for me to get there now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cedar Fair has the money to build something there, and a chain like Six Flags would probably be more willing to simply rehab like they did to Viper at this point. Having said that, I hope the long term solution isn't Grave Digger rides.

I believe they did some foundation work on Vortex a few years ago. I am sure this thing has been welded glued and tapped back together so many times that all the kings horses and all the kings men cant put bumpy back together again.

I am going to try to fly out for a ride on it before its removed though all joking aside

I was definitely not expecting this at all. I never particularly liked the ride, but I know it has a place in history and many coaster fans enjoyed it. RIP.

Cedar Fair is really dishing out these ride removals pretty easily. Stinger, Boomerang, Volcano, Firehawk, and Vortex all in the last 3 years.

Definitely seems like it was a late-season decision. I get that nostalgia is a thing, but if us SFGAdv can admit that Rolling Thunder and GASM were hot garbage, then you can do the same for Vortex, too.

Which it is.

Hot garbage.

F

Those who know me know that this is very upsetting for me. I'll admit, though, I'm not really too surprised. It wasn't until recently that I started hearing about people who actually liked Vortex, and that was about when I started appreciating it as well. I certainly don't know any GP who say they even like the ride.

I'm super glad I got my last rides on it this August. DILinator was calling me crazy for riding it three times in a row but I definitely have no regrets now. The first drop, the floating corkscrews, the snappy transitions, the overall quirkiness...like people have said, they just don't make them like that anymore.

You will be missed, Vortex.

Decent ride but nothing to get hurt over since it is probably leaving for something better down the road. Since they are removing a 1987 Arrow could CP possibly take it a step further and start removing Corkscrew's from CP parks soon? (CP-1976, MiA-1979 and VF-1980).

Hopefully Racer just so I can watch the comments.

... but in all seriousness I wouldn't be shocked if they don't remove another ride for a decade. There's no telling.

They need whomever fixed Racer 75 to work their magic on every older wooden coaster in America!

Kings Island has a lot of tired old coasters, I'm happy to see the park finally making moves.