TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 829: Adventure Port themed area announced for 2023!

the same park put in a 7000 foot 200 tall wooden coaster with a loop. The same park also put in the world's biggest invert and a universal-quality themed flat ride. So this ride is just a meh from me.

And how are two out of three of those rides holding up?

I don't get it, and its probably a good thing, Why cant the park add a coaster like this? I guess im just optimistic and welcomes all new coaster additions. I feel this coaster will be unique to the park as there are no twister wooden coasters in their line up. Hershey park has virtually 3 of the same wooden twister coasters and no one bats an eye. Holiday has virtually all wooden coasters and they get praises out the cahoots . So why is kings islands bashed for adding what appears to be a solid wooden coaster to their line up? I think we need to stop thinking the parks are in some coaster war and are always looking to break or set records. We gotta start looking at things with a more realistic view and realize those days are no longer here and parks realized that having a solid line up to the park (be it rides, shows, attractions) is what FAMILIES want.

Went to the big reveal event yesterday, along with like 1,000 other of my closest friends, and the crowd was pretty electric. I'm not a fan of the name, however, this is going to be a bomb-ass coaster. Kentucky Rumbler is seemingly small and compact, but that ride has some fantastic airtime. GCI knows airtime. I have a feeling the topography/landscape of the site will make the ride all the more exciting. Cannot wait for spring!

What it took 6 years to accomplish?

Open Prowler

Right click

Copy

Paste

Scale up 10%

Done

Spot on.

Not complaining though. GCI's, while not the best wooden coasters they still are a solid ride and fun. The ability to run three trains will be nice though.

Obviously am thinking a bit far ahead, but was wondering when the best time to purchase season passes for 2017 would be?

We're not local to any of the Cedar Fair parks, but are within driving distance of KI, CP, and WoF, and are considering getting a season pass for next yer and doing a few road trips. Six Flags is our "home" park, and Labor Day weekend is by far the best time to buy season passes for the following year...do the Cedar Fair parks run a similar promotion or do better deals come up later?

Thanks in advance for any advice/insights!

Nowadays it seems like I always have something to complain about new-ride wise. But this coaster? OMG!

This ride looks phenomenal. I really can't find a single complaint about it. Ride, logo, name, etc. are all on point with this ride in my opinion.

Looks to be a fantastic night ride too. I'd be shocked if this isn't a better night ride than the Beast. Especially going over the water in the dark. Looks incredible!

Prowler has always been my favorite GCI. It's fast, intense nature and it's terrain interaction make it one of a kind. I'm glad KI payed attention in 2009, cause it looks like they're building a winner. I haven't been this excited for a new ride since Fury was announced in 2014.

What it took 6 years to accomplish?

Open Prowler

Right click

Copy

Paste

Scale up 10%

Done

Is it really scaled up 10%? It's only 8 ft. taller, 1.8 mph faster, and 194 feet longer. If I had to guess, I bet both rides feel so similar that you really won't be able to tell a difference in scale.

I love the look of the layout, the manufacturer and the name. I am in the minority, it sounds like.

I am extremely excited for this, but only wish it was coming to CP instead...

I am not a big fan of the name, but I think it will play well with families and children. Mystic Timbers is a name that does not sound intimidating. Additionally parents can easily explain to kids that it is not that tall, and does not go that fast; which are common things I hear in lines when parents are trying to assuage their kids fears.

Finally I love that is has a story. I've noticed lately with Cedar Fair rides that they work hard to give it a story line, even if the theming leaves something to be desired. Also we still do not know what is in the shed! lol

I guess I'm only disappointed because I have never ridden a GCI that I liked. I have always been beat to death on them.

(Looking at you Wildcat)

Ride Thunderhead at Dollywood. You'll change your mind.

And if you end up not liking Thunderhead then, well, there's just no helping you.

The GP's voice matters a lot more to parks than the voice of enthusiasts, so one has to wonder with the response this (and other new traditional wooden) coasters have been getting if major parks are going to stop investing in coasters like these.

It can't be fun making an announcement like this and seeing the responses we're seeing on Facebook and other social media.

I guess I'm only disappointed because I have never ridden a GCI that I liked. I have always been beat to death on them.

(Looking at you Wildcat)

Ride Thunderhead at Dollywood. You'll change your mind.

And if you end up not liking Thunderhead then, well, there's just no helping you.

It's a bit rough for me. It was really good when it first opened, but like other GCIs, it's age is apparent.

^You know what, you're right. It's scaled up 8.9%. Huge mistake. Jakizle, go back to school. Jesus, people.

That wasn't my point. The point is that it really won't feel much different size wise, like everyone's saying.

It probably won't feel much different unless you ride both of them hundreds of times in back to back days. In answering your question though, it depends what measure you're using for "scale" but based on height it's a little under 10%, but the drop is more than 10% longer (which actually makes me question the accuracy of Prowler's speed if you're saying its 51.2mph, kinda like how Colossus somehow lost 5mph in its conversion to Twisted Colossus).

I was answering sarcastically but it actually probably is somewhere around 10% larger in every aspect, even if it's hardly noticeable.

Mystic Timbers should be very fun right out of the box, and hopefully it's maintained well over the long run. I still can't figure out why Lightning Racer is glass smooth year after year, while sister coasters like Roar and even Wildcat just across the midway can jack hammer like nobody's business.

I'm all for parks getting modern "depth" coasters like this, which should still be very fun and thrilling. Someone referred to the lopsided division in coaster modernity at Carowinds & Wonderland a few pages back, and I agree. By today's standards, family thrills shouldn't just mean clunky rides from 1989. I'm also impressed that KI is willing to stand by and reinforce its legacy of wooden coasters. Even if we all know the feel of a GCI coaster, this will still be unique. I'd much rather have another way to scamper through the trees at night at KI over an off-the-shelf wing coaster in the parking lot.

I also don't mind the name! It's probably been mentioned (I haven't caught up to all comments yet), but this looks inspired by Th13teen/Verbolten -- a fine theme for heading off into the woods. I'm not going to specifically reroute 2017 plans to KI for this, but I'll undoubtedly look forward to riding it when I can.

I love the look of the layout, the manufacturer and the name. I am in the minority, it sounds like.

I am extremely excited for this, but only wish it was coming to CP instead...

I'm with you Steve

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size. As KI posted on Twitter, this combines the best aspects (debatable) of The Beast and Racer...but we've already ridden The Beast and Racer, so why not bring us something completely different? Sure, Carowinds, Canada's Wonderland, Hersheypark, etc. built new coasters similar to their existing attractions, but those additions were taller, faster, and longer...KI is building something smaller, slower, and shorter--with the same height restriction. It would be like Holiday World building The Voyage first, and then a few decades later announcing Raven. I can hear the marketing team receiving the original plans now: "Well shit. What are we supposed to do with this?" "Uh...put a box at the end and tell them there's something cool in there. We'll come up with the rest later."

Also, why does GCI continually butcher the best element a coaster can offer? These wide, turning first drops are such a waste.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

I can understand the disappointment its not a B&M Giga, but I think we already knew it wasn't going to be that. Honestly what did people expect from this?

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size

Everybody's different I guess but I don't know that I agree with this.

When the sun's out they don't have any top tier, world beating top 10 rides like a Maverick / Millennium Force but they do have some outstanding coasters. Their lineup feels very complete to me. The second part of this will probably make a lot of people shake their heads but Diamondback and Bat are probably the stars for me and Banshee and Flight of Fear are only a small step down (I'd actually put Flight of Fear on that top level but this one is a lot bumpier than the KD version). The rest of the lineup is fun but not amazing (with the exception of Vortex which is awful), they have a nice flat collection... I really don't feel like the park is missing anything like I do with a park like Dorney for example.

...And then when the sun goes down they have the best coaster in America. Period.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

The first one...besides Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, and American Thunder.

...but we've already ridden The Beast and Racer, so why not bring us something completely different?

Given Cedar Fair's recent history of tapping big B&Ms and GCI, I'm curious what you thought it might have had up its sleeve. Big thrills would have likely meant a B&M giga or wing coaster, and both could happen down the road, but neither would be so different in experience from Diamondback or Banshee. I just don't see Cedar Fair calling for something like a custom Blue Fire, Karnan, or iSpeed anytime soon.