TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 792 - Camp Cedar campground to open in 2021!

Why does GCI get such a bad rap for having "average" wooden coasters. I feel like enthusiasts let quantity of a coaster type diminish quality even though they don't correlate.

If Gold Striker was the only GCI in existence, people would say "OMG it's one of the best wooden roller coasters ever GCI should build more of these!!!!" but since we already have many GCIs, they seem to have lost their flavor in the enthusiast world for not being innovative and one of a kind.

After riding more recent GCIs like Gold Striker, American Thunder, and White Lightning.. I think it's safe to say this coaster will pack a punch even if it doesn't have an impressive stat, and it will most certainly fill a void at Kings Island. What's not to love about fast pace, low to the ground, quick directional changes, and ample airtime, all while snaking through the woods?

• Replies 19.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get over it man.  You've made your point and we get it; it's silly that this park did not do a Winterfest-lite.  Make the 8 hour drive to KD if you want to experience that, just like all of us with KD

My visit this past weekend was great, even with Saturday being very busy and me missing out on FL until Sunday.    I went into Orion not having followed its construction or watched a POV or even

At the risk of veering off topic, people are just incredibly selective in what causes of death they choose to care about. People only care if it's high-profile, tragic accident, something new and scar

Posted Images

As others have said, Kings Island just has so many of these mediocre coasters. There are so many "medium thrill rides" and a true lack of really exciting coasters for a park of this size

Everybody's different I guess but I don't know that I agree with this.

When the sun's out they don't have any top tier, world beating top 10 rides like a Maverick / Millennium Force but they do have some outstanding coasters. Their lineup feels very complete to me. The second part of this will probably make a lot of people shake their heads but Diamondback and Bat are probably the stars for me and Banshee and Flight of Fear are only a small step down (I'd actually put Flight of Fear on that top level but this one is a lot bumpier than the KD version). The rest of the lineup is fun but not amazing (with the exception of Vortex which is awful), they have a nice flat collection... I really don't feel like the park is missing anything like I do with a park like Dorney for example.

...And then when the sun goes down they have the best coaster in America. Period.

I'll chime in here and say that I thought their collection was above average and there definitely aren't any glaring holes in their lineup, but until nighttime there's really nothing that would make me want to travel specifically for Kings Island. I can actually really appreciate that their best ride (Diamondback, probably) isn't miles and miles ahead of the rest of their lineup and there's no massive gap in quality going from say the number two to number three (ahem... Carowinds).

That said, I don't think I could say the same before Diamondback and Banshee. Those two are really good for the park that round out a top three but dont make the rest of the lineup seem like complete crap.

Edited by Password121
Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

The first one...besides Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, and American Thunder.

Ah, I don't really consider Kentucky or Tennessee Midwest. Most people probably wouldn't either. I guess you got me with Evil Knievil, so okay, 2nd GCI in the Midwest.

Pretty happy with the announcement, basically what I expected after seeing the drawings and knowing the location of the ride. Plus, it will be my first GCI, and the first one in the Midwest as well (unless you count Worlds of Fun as Midwest).

Ah, I don't really consider Kentucky or Tennessee Midwest. Most people probably wouldn't either. I guess you got me with Evil Knievil, so okay, 2nd GCI in the Midwest.

I would not consider Tennessee of Kentucky Midwest either. Renegade was the second behind Evil Kneivil.

I would not consider Tennessee of Kentucky Midwest either. Renegade was the second behind Evil Kneivil.

Kansas City is DEFINITELY midwest. Also, Ozark Wildcat was in the Midwest too.

Kansas City is DEFINITELY midwest. Also, Ozark Wildcat was in the Midwest too.

Guess I should have specified EASTERN Midwest, oh well...

Hopefully inside the shed is some Disney-quality special effect where the overgrowth comes alive and tries to devour the train Well anyhow it would be nice for the first and only season that It actually was functional lol.

It's nice they are keeping this "in the woods" after they massacred to many trees to create the open space around Diamondback. The only thing they could have done better is to have a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonger tunnel, Beast-style. But maybe that will come in the future! In the beginning Beast's 2nd tunnel was 2 short tunnels and the helix finale was not enclosed.

I have NEVER ridden a GCI that I didn't like except for Gwazi. And that was only because of horrible maintenance and neglect, not because of bad layout or design. CGI's twisters are especially fantastic to look at and have such create turns, banks and crossovers.

To me, this looks like a fantastic addition to this park. I am curious on whether people who don't think t his ride is "enough," have ridden a GCI like Prowler at all, and if so, have they ridden it at night? Prowler is a really solid coaster and night rides on it are amazing. There is nothing "junior," "small," or "great for the kids," there. Same with Rumbler, Thunderhead, Lightning Racers, etc... Even if it were a little less "intense" than Prowler, have you ridden White Lightning at Fun Spot. For a family sized woody, it is really quite fun and is also thrilling.

Anywho....kudos to Kings Island.

^ "Eastern Mid West" ?? Just repeat that grouping of words to yourself for a minute. So basically, it's the first GCI in a really small geographical location? Wow, such a feat!

Basically, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa. Not really a small geographical location IMO, I mean there's what... 70-90 Coasters in those states but no GCI.

^ "Eastern Mid West" ?? Just repeat that grouping of words to yourself for a minute. So basically, it's the first GCI in a really small geographical location? Wow, such a feat!

I guess we can at least call it unique to the vast majority of the Kings Island market. I'm surprised they didn't go with a coaster that holds an impressive stat for marketing purposes (since people eat that stuff up) but I think the ride experience will impress most visitors. GCIs put on a wild yet comfortable ride.

Basically, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa. Not really a small geographical location IMO, I mean there's what... 70-90 Coasters in those states but no GCI.

Indiana technically has, what, 15% of a GCI on Legend at Holiday World now?

To me, this looks like a fantastic addition to this park. I am curious on whether people who don't think t his ride is "enough," have ridden a GCI like Prowler at all, and if so, have they ridden it at night? Prowler is a really solid coaster and night rides on it are amazing. There is nothing "junior," "small," or "great for the kids," there. Same with Rumbler, Thunderhead, Lightning Racers, etc... Even if it were a little less "intense" than Prowler, have you ridden White Lightning at Fun Spot. For a family sized woody, it is really quite fun and is also thrilling.

Anywho....kudos to Kings Island.

I agree completely. No impressive stats but it will likely produce a wild ride. Hopefully that translates to the KI audience. I've been on most GCIs in the U.S. and if this rides anything like Gold Striker it will be incredibly out of control, full of airtime, and rather intense.

West TN is midsouth, East TN is southeast... there ya go.
I don't know - it's a NoLimits sim, but the hills look much more drawn-out than those of Prowler.

Probably has to do with the awkward FOV present in No Limits, give off that fish-eye effect a bit which distorts the real picture.

Just my 2 cents.

So many people complaining, and I'm just sitting here counting the days until next season so I can go ride this thing at night. seriously though, I for one am very happy with this announcement. It looks to be a wonderful addition to the park. Even without the shed, and whatever happens therein, I'd still be stoked to ride. Congrats to KI!

I'd say it looks like a pretty solid addition. It's nothing mind blowing, but that obviously wasn't the intention here. They were going for something for the entire family. But either way, if it ends up even remotely like Lightning Run (my only GCI), it will definitely be a great addition.

Also, in GP eyes, Banshee, Diamondback, heck even Firehawk are all incredibly intense coasters. This of course makes it look like a massive gap in the lineup, as it doesn't look intense because it doesn't go very high or invert or anything. I think they think that wooden coasters aren't intense whatsoever. This all, I think, would explain those horrible reactions on Facebook, etc.

As for the contents of the Mystic Shed, has anyone considered the possibility of a Wonder Mountain Guardian type Triotech shoot-em-up dark ride? This shed could easily be bigger than the renderings show cause it's just a rendering. I'd pay good money for airtime and the ability to defeat some cg tree spirits in the same ride.

As for the contents of the Mystic Shed, has anyone considered the possibility of a Wonder Mountain Guardian type Triotech shoot-em-up dark ride? This shed could easily be bigger than the renderings show cause it's just a rendering. I'd pay good money for airtime and the ability to defeat some cg tree spirits in the same ride.

How would this realistically work? Are they going to attach some laser guns in the trains? Seriously I want to know where you're coming from or if this is just some imaginary fantasy because this makes no sense and they're not going to add 60+ seconds to the cycle time spent in a shed.

I'm so happy that GCI and Gravity Group woodies are still an option. The best wood coasters (traditional feeling) out there. I enjoyed Thunderhead as much as Lightning Rod at Dollywood as both are completely different ride experiences. Sometimes you just want a wood coaster to feel like one and this one definitely will along with feeling out of control like all of their coasters. I'm sure it'll have a lot more air than Beast or Racer, while being more ejector than Diamondback. Definitely a great addition.

As for the shed, either it goes backwards under the track or a drop track.

How would this realistically work? Are they going to attach some laser guns in the trains? Seriously I want to know where you're coming from or if this is just some imaginary fantasy because this makes no sense and they're not going to add 60+ seconds to the cycle time spent in a shed.

While I don't think there will be a laser attachment, I do think the "shed' section will be a decent amount of time. Maybe up to a minute. If they're using the shed as a block to get 3 trains, there are a couple ways the ride could be blocked but this would be the main idea: train in station, train on lift, train over lift, and in shed (shorter shed time). There are a couple other ways of blocking, but they would be a bit unbalanced.

Basing the time on prowler as an estimate, you would be looking at around 1:30 for each block. Again this is an approximate tim and I would guess the time would be around 1 minute. The main purpose of the shed is to allow for 3 train operation. In order to accommodate for the long wait time on the brake run, they add a themed section with projection mapping and some practical effects and voila, what would be a necessary evil, becomes a selling point of the ride.