TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

What has this world come to when a B&M is being described as rough...

People being giant pansies. I kinda want Togo to have a resurgence in America so these people would properly understand what "rough" means.

Having been on a few Togo's, that is a whole different type of rough.

People like to get pissy when you talk about B&M's being rough, but those people also need to realize we are not talking Son of Beast or Togo rough here... A vibration is a very obnoxious and disruptive sensation on these rides. It’s not about slamming your head around and making your ears bleed. No, in that sense, Banshee is butter smooth. But when at the bottom of every drop the train vibrates severely it makes the ride far less enjoyable.

I will admit I am the last one to ever say anything about a "rattle", and most of the rides people complain most about I shrug off or don’t care. But Banshee was a whole different story the two nights this past weekend we rode it (Row 2 middle, Row 7 Right and Row 4 right). It just doesn’t feel like any other B&M I have been on and wasn’t isolated spots of a vibration, it was at the bottom of every drop and very intense at that.

For those who have not been on it this year, don’t try to pass this off like we are all exaggerating… Wait until you ride it (if they don’t do some type of maintenance up until that point on the chassis) and then offer your opinion. It’s bad. Not like any other B&M “rattle” I have experienced.

I'll say this about Banshee. While I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a "B&M Rattle" as I've never once experienced this I don't understand why they re-designed the invert train.

I'm sure they had a reason, and I'm not an engineer so I'm not questioning them but it seems strange from the outside looking in. In my opinion, other than Schwarzkopf loopers, B&M inverts have proven to deliver butter smooth rides and maintain that smoothness for decades better than any other steel coaster type. A ride like Batman at Great Adventure which is 20 years old delivers the same amazing, glass smooth ride today as it did the day it opened 2 decades ago. Rides like Montu and Afterburn perform some of the most aggressive and violent transitions of any coasters anywhere as they enter the pretzel loops and despite their age they execute those elements flawlessly and smoothly despite pulling obscene G forces (elements that are on an entirely different level than anything Banshee does).

This is true of most B&M's but the inverts seem to hold up even better than the rest, all of them run like they did the day they opened. It's really remarkable. For that reason I'm curious as to why they decided to update the train. It seems to me like they struck gold on their first try.

PS: Please god don't let someone show up and talk about rattle on an invert or say something stupid regarding Alpengeist's cobra roll, Raptor's snap or something like that. At least wait for me to get home from work so I can have a drink before I read through that type of idiocy. lol

I do think the Inverts are the most forceful (non Giga) model of B&M coaster, but the only ones that I would genuinely say are a little rough are some of the Stand-Up models, and now Rougarou's second half as well. And by rough, I'm referring to the head-banging. I try to ride it defensively, but unfortunately, I have a short-ish neck, so I can only do so much...

I'll say this about Banshee. While I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a "B&M Rattle" as I've never once experienced this...

PS: Please god don't let someone show up and talk about rattle on an invert or say something stupid regarding Alpengeist's cobra roll, Raptor's snap or something like that. At least wait for me to get home from work so I can have a drink before I read through that type of idiocy. lol

Agreed on the first part wholeheartedly!

On the small print, however, get your adult beverage of choice ready, because there is a bona-fide, noticeable,gets the people I'm riding with who don't know it's coming every single time, SNAP coming into Raptor's break run! Sorry, my man, but it's as real as any experience I've ever had on a coaster, in all my many years of riding!

To the point of them redesigning the train, to me Banshee didn't "feel" like a B&M invert. From the weird trains, no pre drop, a strange awkward slow inline twist..... I just had no desire to ride it a second time; whereas raptor, montu and alpengeist are some of my favorite coasters on planet earth.

I enjoyed Banshee but I agree that it feels very different than the other inverts.

And in regards to the snaps on Raptor and Alpengeist I don't deny that those exist, I just don't care. Being tossed around one time a little bit in a non-painful way doesn't bother me. Actually the Raptor snap is one of my favorite parts of the ride.

I've been super delaying on writing up my big ass trip report, but I'll just pop in to say that I hit KI a couple weekends ago, got six rides in on Banshee including three in the last row and once up front, and didn't notice a single bit of "rattle" whatsoever. And this is from someone that notices the vibration on Wicked Cyclone but doesn't care because he's having too much fun being thrown from the car.

And in regards to the snaps on Raptor and Alpengeist I don't deny that those exist, I just don't care.

Well, that's a horse of a different color!!!

Being tossed around one time a little bit in a non-painful way doesn't bother me. Actually the Raptor snap is one of my favorite parts of the ride.

Here's the thing about this part though... It's great that it's non-painful to you, but it has caused me, and others I've ridden with, temporary pain before. Now that I expect it, and adjust accordingly it doesn't. But a couple of rides in the back, where I forgot to prepare... Don't get me wrong though... I still greatly enjoy the coaster, even if it isn't one of my favorite Inverts!

I wish B&M would address the issue. I mean, it's not a huge issue, but for the price a B&M goes for nowadays, I would at least expect an effort to be made. It's been happening for 20+ years now, and it's kinda annoying. Personally, the rattling is actually very painful for me (and this is from the guy that marathoned Timberwolf a couple of years ago and was just fine. In fact, Timberwolf was my first "big" coaster). Like I've said before, on inverts, when the rattling is closer to my head, I can get a headache if there is too much rattling. But I know I'm in the minority.

I wish B&M would address the issue. I mean, it's not a huge issue, but for the price a B&M goes for nowadays, I would at least expect an effort to be made. It's been happening for 20+ years now, and it's kinda annoying. Personally, the rattling is actually very painful for me (and this is from the guy that marathoned Timberwolf a couple of years ago and was just fine. In fact, Timberwolf was my first "big" coaster). Like I've said before, on inverts, when the rattling is closer to my head, I can get a headache if there is too much rattling. But I know I'm in the minority.

Do you hear yourself?

Edited by coasterbill

Solution to thinking Banshee is rough:

Step 1: Ride Banshee

Step 2: Ride Vortex

Step 3: Slap ones self against the forehead for thinking Banshee is in any way rough.

Step 4: eat Nachos

I've literally said twice in this thread that rattling is uncomfortable to me because I have a low tolerance to headaches and I develop migraines faster than the average person.

I've also admitted it is a personal problem and it doesn't effect the majority of people. Plus I even said Banshee doesn't even have a rattle.

But since it seems half of the B&M fanboys in this thread can't read, I'd like to sincerely apologize for hurting your precious feelings with my dangerous words.

Solution to thinking Banshee is rough:

Step 1: Ride Banshee

Step 2: Ride Vortex

Step 3: Slap ones self against the forehead for thinking Banshee is in any way rough.

Step 4: eat Nachos

Step 4 was a nice touch.