TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

This wasn't my experience at all both times I visited Cedar Point this year. The Gatekeeper crew was always hustling like nuts to get trains dispatched and prevent stacking as much as possible. Did you just visit recently? It's possible operations may have dropped in quality due to it being the end of the season, but in both May and September, this simply wasn't an issue, and especially not with FLP.

Same. On Labor Day weekend I snapped this picture, the train in the station is already moving (you can see the op giving the all clear), and you can see the other train in the background. When we were there we never stopped in the brake run even with 3 train operations. This wasn't even the fastest dispatch. They were usually dispatching as soon as the lift block was clear and the train dropped off.

As far as which park you prefer though that's totally subjective. I love Kings Island but there are a few parks in the chain I prefer. It's a great park though and Mystic Timbers will only make it better.

I did love CP, don't get me wrong, but I was a bit underwhelmed. Even with FL+, my wait for Millennium force was about an hour, and the ride ops seemed uninterested for the most part. This was also totally out of the park's control, but even with FL+ the lines took about an hour or longer & the paths were so crowded it was hard to breathe. Definitely not something I'm used to. Maybe my visit was like this since it was so close to the end of the season, but I'll figure that out when I go back next year.

This year I visited a bunch of Cedar Fair parks for the first time (somebody bought a Platinum Pass!), including Kings Island and Cedar Point. I'd say Kings Island has a better atmosphere and much better food, but Cedar Point has the superior ride collection. It's the old theme park v. amusement park argument.

Oh no! It's list time! Here's my totally nerdy ranking of Cedar Fair parks I've been to (all of these visited in 2016):

1. Knott's Berry Farm

2. Cedar Point

3. Kings Island

4. Worlds of Fun

5. Valleyfair!

6. Michigan's Adventure

So the lift is going towards Diamondback's second hill. With the new path for White Water Canyon right next to the lift that's going to be a great photo spot. I don't know why I thought the lift was going to be closer to the Race For Your Life Charlie Brown log flume and then head back over and through D-back towards Beast. It does look great but sad to see so many trees gone.

This year I visited a bunch of Cedar Fair parks for the first time (somebody bought a Platinum Pass!), including Kings Island and Cedar Point. I'd say Kings Island has a better atmosphere and much better food, but Cedar Point has the superior ride collection. It's the old theme park v. amusement park argument.

Oh no! It's list time! Here's my totally nerdy ranking of Cedar Fair parks I've been to (all of these visited in 2016):

1. Knott's Berry Farm

2. Cedar Point

3. Kings Island

4. Worlds of Fun

5. Valleyfair!

6. Michigan's Adventure

Time for a trip to Carowinds.

1. Knott's Berry Farm

2. Cedar Point

3. Kings Island

4. Worlds of Fun

5. Valleyfair!

6. Michigan's Adventure

Time for a trip to Carowinds.

I'd love to go to the East Coast CF parks. I don't think it'll happen next year (Dollywood and Knoebels are the goals for 2017), but one day I do want to ride Fury and I305.

So the lift is going towards Diamondback's second hill. With the new path for White Water Canyon right next to the lift that's going to be a great photo spot. I don't know why I thought the lift was going to be closer to the Race For Your Life Charlie Brown log flume and then head back over and through D-back towards Beast. It does look great but sad to see so many trees gone.

The White Water Canyon path might not be that great of a photo spot thanks to the cover the park is putting over it. The view from one end of the train station (which I was standing outside of) would probably be the better spot. And the future path leading to Mystic Timbers where they have a big fence up is actually right beside the haystack dryers for Race For Your Life Charlie Brown, so you're not too far off.

Woo what a great picture!

Nobody's brought this up yet, so here we go:

How the donkey are we going to see what's going on past the big lift-crossing left turn with this camera angle? Doesn't seem like there's much else to mount it on to get a good angle, especially with this being more of a terrain coaster in it's back half.

They will probably turn the camera

Still probably gonna be hard to actually see the progress easily. Much of the layout will be lower to the ground, undoubtedly below the treeline in more than a few places.

Not that I want to ride the flume in 50 degree weather

... amateur. Also yes, the Log Flume will be open for the fun people in your group.

You are a filthy liar, log flume was closed and my children were devastated. Well the one that was large enough to ride was at least. The one year old was equally as upset but was distracted by the petting zoo and stray leaves on the ground, so dodged a bullet there.

Had a pretty good visit all things considered, it was slammed but I made a quick solo lap in the morning and got on mostly everything I wanted to ride.

-Banshee was great, not like Montu or Raptor good but a really solid invert. Never been a fan of B&M invert first drops but wow that drop was crazy.

-We got stuck on on our backs in the station one Firehawk, on the first train of the morning. Seriously they opened the ride, loaded a train, dispatched....and then it broke down. Whatever, that things stinks anyways and the ops fastlaned us into Flight of Fear so that was worth laying on my back for 20 minutes.

-Flight of Fear is still all kinds of awesome. 2nd or 3rd best coaster in the park for me.

-I take back what I said about Diamondback, had a lot more fun than I remembered on that thing.

-Vortex was running well, and was a lot of fun, maybe it's just personal nostalgia but I still love that ride.

-Beast and Racer were both running really great.

-The Snoopys Pumpkin patch Halloween event was a lot of fun for the kids, but that park could seriously use something for kids under 48". And how about a playground or something somewhere else in the park other than Planet Snoopy.There is seriously nothing for kids outside of Planet Snoopy (Dino trail was closed for haunt).

-Mystic Timbers looks great in person, much more excited about that ride after seeing it than I was after the announcement.

-The park was slammed after like 4 oclock. Spent $20 on the fast lane spinner wheel and won passes for Diamondback, Backlot Stunt Coaster, The Bat, and Vortex, but even the fastlane ques were backed up quite a bit.

Not that I want to ride the flume in 50 degree weather

... amateur. Also yes, the Log Flume will be open for the fun people in your group.

You are a filthy liar, log flume was closed and my children were devastated. Well the one that was large enough to ride was at least. The one year old was equally as upset but was distracted by the petting zoo and stray leaves on the ground, so dodged a bullet there.

Sorry I actually noticed that on the webcam. It operated the weekend before so I assumed they would run it throughout the event. I was surprised to see it closed suddenly but sometimes I know they have issues with leaves clogging them up so maybe it just became a massive pain in the a**.

Woo what a great picture!

Nobody's brought this up yet, so here we go:

How the donkey are we going to see what's going on past the big lift-crossing left turn with this camera angle? Doesn't seem like there's much else to mount it on to get a good angle, especially with this being more of a terrain coaster in it's back half.

They will probably turn the camera

Still probably gonna be hard to actually see the progress easily. Much of the layout will be lower to the ground, undoubtedly below the treeline in more than a few places.

Ah, true. I didn't really think about that.

As an aside, construction is really moving along quite quickly. I really enjoy the construction of wooden coasters. It just seems so much more impressive to watch than steel coasters.

Probably just due to temp change. Wasn't it cold on Saturday and much nicer on Sunday? Also Sunday planet Snoopy is open all day compared to Fri/Sat..

Yeah, it was a bit chilly on Saturday, and I'm just joking about it being closed not a big deal.

I'll be at Kings Island Saturday. Amazed it's been since Halloween 2014 since I last visited. I love this park. Can't wait to ride Beast again and see the Mystic Timbers construction. I did Carowinds last year for Halloween and wasn't very happy I had to leave the park before the change over...It's just an inconvenience. Going back to Kings Island this year so I don't have to stop having fun for them to start the scares.

I was at CW this weekend. We usually leave the park around 4 for chicken wings and beer, while getting back to the park at 6:30ish, so the changeover wasn't a thing for us. That's kind of our thing on every park we visit. However, I wouldn't want to wait in the insane closing time exit traffic of CW twice in one day. Took us an hour to get out of the park on both nights we went, so I could imagine that if you left the park right at 530 to return for rope drop, you'd have to turn right around and enter the park again. We pulled the chord an hour early on Saturday night and it still took us 30 minutes just to get on the main road. We didn't have that experience at KI last October.

Yeah it does suck. Carowinds is an awesome park, and I love Fury 325...But I prefer Kings Island. The Haunt is better and the park itself is just ran better than Scarowinds. And we didn't leave the park totally, we just sat out in our car for an hour until it was time to get back in the park. Also, Kings Island is one price for all day. Carowinds makes you pay two fees for both halves of the day. We got passes so it's not a big deal, but if we bring friends, it's a hassle. Kings Island is just easier.

I agree that Kings Island is probably a better overall park, which is why it always comes to mind when I think about my favorites. There are just so many more rides that we actually want to ride at Kings Island, coasters and non coasters. That Fury though... I'm not even really sure how much I am obsessed with Carowinds right now, or if I am just obsessed with Fury.

I don't know who does their haunt better. For some reason it feels like Carowinds had more, but that is probably just because the park is more compact. There weren't many areas which didn't have haunt related themeing. Even despite it seemingly having more haunt related stuff, I think we liked the overall experience of Kings Island's haunt better. That's even including the fact that the entire park ran out of beer around 1030! It was a little windy at Carowinds, so that could be a factor, but Kings Island seemed like it had a ton more fog. That, and the guy talking sh*t to all of the guests at the front entrance of Kings Island is a full night's entertainment in itself. I had a half chub from when he told some completely obnoxious teenager that she was fat and ugly. It was well deserved from her behavior... The things you can get away with when you're in character.