TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

Bat is one of the few arrow suspended coasters left and it packs a good punch.

This ride, and this type of ride as a whole are criminally underrated. All of them (with the exception of Iron Dragon which is still a good ride but it's more of a family ride) are fantastic.

I agree they are underrated, but I will never wait more than 10 minutes to ride it. The ride cycle is extremely short, IMO.

I know when a park's coaster line-up is really good and when it is just decent.

I really wanted to enjoy Diamondback and Banshee, but they ended up having a pretty bad case of the B&M rattle. Heck, I thought Diamondback was more rattly than SFMM's Scream.

Beast is a nice wooden coaster, but nothing that great.

Bat gave me a headache. Which is odd since SFMM's Ninja never gives me one.

FOF is nice, but nothing that great.

Suspended coasters are good when done right. Arrow made sure to deliver fast speeds and quick transitions with them, but I'm sure any modern company that would pick up the designs would have them gently swinging left and right instead as a family coaster, if not to pull a Six Flags move to reduce maintinence costs. Lets also not forget about Dream Catcher and Vampire, which aren't super fast suspended coasters as well.

Banshee - Been waiting 15 years for KI to get a full Invert and could not be more pleased, shes awesome, non stop action from start to finish, little bit of a rattle in some places but shes still new, give her time to settle in, best set in my opinion is middle of the front row, smooth as butter. She is as much fun to look at as she is to ride as well, truly a modern work of art.

Diamondback - The only Hyper I have personally ever been on but still awesome, one of the best rides in the park, imo, the only ride in the park that I love to put my hands and arms fully up on from start to finish, best seat, imo is any seat that is on the outside pairs of seats, feel so free and alot of good air too.

The Beast - Always gotta ride it at least once, a good Woodie, a pretty impressive one also considering when it was designed and built as well, always prefer the non wheel seats usually towards the back.

The Bat - Pretty good for a Suspended coaster, packs a nice little punch from the drop to the end, wish it was a bit longer though.

Vortex - The coaster that made me into the enthusiast that I am today, best seat is definitely 5-1, keep your head out and centered as much as you can, usually helps a bit.

Flight Of Fear - Good ride, definitely needs some TLC in the off season, hasn't been a good year for this guy unfortunately, bit smoother towards the front or in the front, the closer you get to the back, the closer you become to becoming a human pinball.

Backlot Stunt Coaster - Fairly good ride, usually try to ride this every time I go, a bit better now that the fire effects are working too.

Banshee - Been waiting 15 years for KI to get a full Invert and could not be more pleased, shes awesome, non stop action from start to finish, little bit of a rattle in some places but shes still new, give her time to settle in, best set in my opinion is middle of the front row, smooth as butter. She is as much fun to look at as she is to ride as well, truly a modern work of art.

Diamondback - The only Hyper I have personally ever been on but still awesome, one of the best rides in the park, imo, the only ride in the park that I love to put my hands and arms fully up on from start to finish, best seat, imo is any seat that is on the outside pairs of seats, feel so free and alot of good air too.

The Beast - Always gotta ride it at least once, a good Woodie, a pretty impressive one also considering when it was designed and built as well, always prefer the non wheel seats usually towards the back.

The Bat - Pretty good for a Suspended coaster, packs a nice little punch from the drop to the end, wish it was a bit longer though.

Vortex - The coaster that made me into the enthusiast that I am today, best seat is definitely 5-1, keep your head out and centered as much as you can, usually helps a bit.

Flight Of Fear - Good ride, definitely needs some TLC in the off season, hasn't been a good year for this guy unfortunately, bit smoother towards the front or in the front, the closer you get to the back, the closer you become to becoming a human pinball.

Backlot Stunt Coaster - Fairly good ride, usually try to ride this every time I go, a bit better now that the fire effects are working too.

Also notice how the trains are today.

Before

After

Wtf, I never noticed that before lol what the hell did they do to them lol they look so bland now.

I thought it was because the original trains resembled a real type of car and the company that made the car didn't want the trains to resemble them any longer.

Wtf, I never noticed that before lol what the hell did they do to them lol they look so bland now.

I thought it was because the original trains resembled a real type of car and the company that made the car didn't want the trains to resemble them any longer.

The company who makes those cars is Mini. Also notice how they still have CSX containers. I'm surprised Cedar Fair kept all that.

^ No, the contract with BMW to have the cars resemble Mini Coopers lasted till about 2011/2012 when the contract expired and Cedar Fair chose not to renew the contract, as such most of the features of the cars were removed such as the broken headlights and ,except for Kings Island, the broken speakers (Kings Island's still has the speakers in the car but the mechanism to charge them underneath the car was removed). Also that was when the color combo was changed from 3 trains with blue, red, and white cars to 3 solid color trains, and contrary to what some people think the cars were simple repainted and not moved to match color.

IMO- Vortex is that bad and is in the perfect spot for a new coaster. The last few times I have ridden it I was banged up pretty bad. And I am not buying you have to sit in the right seat for it to be comfortable. One of the roughest rides I have ever been on. Worse than Revolution, Mean Streak, and I think worse than SOB. The transitions throughout the ride are terrible.

IMO- Vortex is that bad and is in the perfect spot for a new coaster. The last few times I have ridden it I was banged up pretty bad. And I am not buying you have to sit in the right seat for it to be comfortable. One of the roughest rides I have ever been on. Worse than Revolution, Mean Streak, and I think worse than SOB. The transitions throughout the ride are terrible.

It's all about Mr. Toomer's coat hanger.....LOL

I agree with this. Vortex was plain hell.

It proudly sits and the bottom of my list...good friends with Mantis, Mean Streak, and Flight of Fear.

The only ride that's worse is for me is Anaconda. To me it seems like these sister parks needs to make a change at some point.

I've had good rides and bad rides on old Vortex, but mostly bad. I forgot how smooth an old Arrow coaster could be until I rode Demon at SFGAm this past summer, which I found pretty enjoyable by comparison.

To me, Vortex is one of Arrow's better designs. It's got a really fun first drop, and the sequence of inversions feels like a good build-up to the end. The problem is it suffers really badly from coat-hanger transitions and gives me a sore neck every time. I wouldn't be opposed to Kings Island removing it.

The ride is a park icon. It's been at the park for over 25 years, so if they do close it soon, it would be a good idea to give it a proper send-off.