TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Vekoma's new train designs

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^Completely redesigning your track style, restraints, and wheel system is NOT "dressing up an old dog"...

The biggest single factor effecting the old vekoma models is track geometry,for instance take a look at the Togo stand ups.They used outside guide wheels that DO contact the rail & yet the ride is still rough as h*ll mainly due to the poor geometry of the curves & transitions in the track.

Another example of this would be the PremiereLIM bowl coasters(pre lap bar conversion) although the problem with their rides seemed to stem more from high lateral G's rather than wheel hunting along the track.

Vekoma seems to be on the "right track" here with the change in track geometry they've made lately,although we'll have to wait for the official verdict to come down from those who's ridden their next gen coasters just as soon as they've been built & ridden by the GP.Now if only they can just work out the engineering complexities that have been keeping their more ambitious rides plauged with such frequent downtime.

kinda looks like they are copying B&M lets see if they can make them smooth as well lol

Well, Arrow's not around anymore so they need to copy someone...

Revolution was designed by Schwarzkopf/Stengel for sure, but I've read it was built by Intamin. This would contradict RCDB, though. The track looks a lot like Intamin.

From what I have read about Shwarzkopf,

Intamin AG was their American "connection" of sorts.

So many rides were credited to Intamin.

These new Vekoma trains look promising!

I really don't care if they look like B&M,

as long as they get rid of that Hang 'n' Bang.

I think this is a great step for Vekoma! I am looking forward to seeing Vekoma finally ranked at the same level as Intamin and B&M coasters.

Also, for those of you who have not ridden the Great Nor easter at Morey's Piers with the new seating, I'd just like to let you know, the ride is 100% re ridable and is like day and night to how it used to be. After riding 17 times in a row in the back row, I was actually considering putting it in my top 10 just because it is such a fun ride.

-Jon

• 1 year later...

http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/1554/New_coaster_concepts_from_Vekoma.html

Vekoma has unveiled a new coaster concept called Dragon Fly. Riders are tilted forward in a kneeling position on this family swinging flying coaster, pictured here.

Vekoma Rides Manufacturing is also now offering four-abreast sit-down and suspended coaster trains for traditional mega coasters and launch coasters. The launch rides are available both with a horizontal launch or a lifthill.

The first four-abreast Vekoma coaster appears to be Battlestar Gallactica, a set of duelling coasters at Universal Studios Singapore/Resorts World Sentosa. One track will feature a four-abreast 32-seat train, the second will be with suspended seating. Both trains will be launched on the lift. Each coaster is 1.2km long.

Riders are tilted forward in a kneeling position on this family swinging flying coaster, pictured here.

I'm all for innovations with technology and trains and whatnot, but I really have to wonder what Vekoma was thinking with this one. I mean....why?

Why not?

Only so many things you can do with a coaster.

This makes me think Vekoma is trying to bring back the swinging suspended coaster, but with this design. An interesting thought. I just hope it is comfortable.

^ I think the swinging aspect could relieve some of the discomfort of a typical SLC. The "kneeling" riding position may well be interesting.

I've always liked Arrow's swinging suspended coaster idea; sadly, the only one I've ridden is Ninja at SFMM. If Vekoma could pull this off, good for them. It looks like they're beginning to overcome their "painful coaster builder" reputation.

Eric

I personally never had a problem with vekoma's roughness. Perhaps because I'm used to them. About half the coasters I have ridden where vekoma's and even the slc prototype 'el condor' does not hurt me, even when this one does not have the banking the others have to even the forces a bit out.

And I think it is great that Vekoma comes up with so many new idea's and tries to improve themselfs.

it may be a bold statement but what if vekoma never made the lie-down (flying dutchman) concept. Would B&M made their flying concept?

I am glad there are companies that try new things. it only is a plus for all coaster enthusiasts.

Maybe it's along the lines of SLCs 'slightly' swinging design and B&M's fixed design, it might be a patent thing where Vekoma does 'laying' flyers and B&M does 'hanging' flyers. It's like they're copying a patent for the 'hanging' flier but changing it ever so slightly so that it's technically different to make their coasters better.

Long story short, Vekoma's trying to copy B&M but they can't because of a patent...I think.

it may be a bold statement but what if vekoma never made the lie-down (flying dutchman) concept. Would B&M made their flying concept?

I completely agree! Vekoma had a great idea and B&M took it and made it even better. Props to both but it seems Vekoma had the idea 1st. The whole kneeling innovation looks pretty unique too.

I'm starting to think had Intamin came up with the 'kneeling' concept, alot of you would be claiming it gold. Not cool.

I've always liked Vekoma, and other than the old trains on Head Spin (when GL was still around) I've never had an issue with the roughness--in fact, I don't think they're as rough as most claim. I quite the SLC's, but I love their mine trains...oh yeah!

I do like the four across as well. Oh, and whoever said the copying bit (I'm sorry to ressurect that crap again) Mauher Solne also had a four across X-Car train at the IAAPA show.

• 4 weeks later...