TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Okay, based soley on the artwork, is anyone else confused as to how they'd pull off the splashdown without soaking the entire train from the second row on? I'm no physics major, but that just seems impossible from that angle. Sort of like how Sheikra's cones can obviously only be on the rear of the train.

Maybe I'm seeing this wrong, but it just seems abnormal for the splash to be spraying away from the riders like that. And maybe I'm just bored with nothing better to think about right now.

Maybe the splash would be initiated by some kind of water cannon or something similar to the Bellagio water show in Vegas. I cant see the train itself starting the splash without drowning the people in the back rows.

Okay, based soley on the artwork, is anyone else confused as to how they'd pull off the splashdown without soaking the entire train from the second row on? I'm no physics major, but that just seems impossible from that angle.

Yeah, but like you said yourself, its concept art. It may be nothing like the original drawing in the end, and I don't think splashing a whole train of riders through every trip is part of the plan.

I love when stuff like this leaks on the internetz and us nerds get to look at it first. I also think it's awesome that Seaworld is getting a flyer, and it looks like it'll be different from every other B&M flyer that exists. Can't wait to see this thing come together.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 am

I think it would be awesome to have a B&M Flyer in the environment that Atlantis Adventure has. (yes, the aqua trax) Seeing something partially inclosed, and a few parts outside that give a tase of what you're about to experiance. But on the inside, there's alot of high tech stuff as far as the effects go. There could be some close calls with going over the water, and wouldn't it be awesome to have a splash down where the coaster flips riders over onto their backs and goes into a Sheikra-type splash? Think Air + splash down. I think that would be awesome if it could work out, just a thought.

Eh, I was close enough.

I imagine it would be something similar to Maverick, where as when the train goes by, a series of water cannons go off. Only the would spray out at an angle instead of straight up. I don't see how it would even be possible for a flyer train to have an actual splash down.

Looks like a great ride though. I do love me some B&M flyer action.

My guess is that it is just a sharp turn around the water and water cannons shoot up simultaneously giving the illusion of actually splashing through the water. My guess is it will be like SheiKra and get the passerbys soaked and the riders dry. I'm pretty sure it is not actually going through the water.

I was just thinking that exact same thing. I also think the water would slow the train down substantially.

^Tame B&M Flyer?

If anything, this Flyer looks like something that may give Tatsu a run for its money. From what I can see, intensely banked turns and great interaction with the water/theming will make Manta one of the better B&M Flyers out there.

As for the argument about water, I'd likely say it's a timed fountain or track placed close enough to the water to cause waves; but not soak the train.

I'm psyched for Manta, and going to SWO has been on my to do list for a while.

I'm SUPER excited for Manta to open up. The rumors for such a concept have been floating around for a while. I'm glad to hear that it's all true . I wonder if Sea World is going to bring actual manta rays for the exhibit portion, or just put bat rays or more sting rays??? I'll definitely find out!

If screamscape is right this sounds pretty cool. I especially like the different kinds of ray for a car and a well themed ray exhibit near it. Maybe I can someday return to Orlando and finally go to seaworld becuase last time I went to Orlando they were working on Kracken and so we passed seaworld because we have one hear in So Cal. In fact wheres the B&M love for So Cal?

The following article was taken from screamscape

(10/22/07) A Screamscape source says that they were asked to take part in a guest focus group at SeaWorld Florida where they were showing off various different ideas for a new Flying Coaster in development for the park. One possible idea was to use shorter trains, only 3 or 4 rows long, but each would be themed as a different species of Ray: Manta Ray, Sting Ray, Bat Ray, etc. While no specific layout was given, the ideas being tossed around seemed a involve quite a bit of ground hugging which may imply a layout more like AIR and less like the Six Flags’ Superman versions. They did discuss with a bit of detail a very special element they want to feature hower, which would be a kind of water splashdown effect similar to what we’ve seen on SheiKra and Griffon, but in this case they want the coaster trains to swoop down over rolling waves, skimming the surface of the water. In fact, the tips of the Ray’s wings sticking out to the sides would dip into the water itself, tossing up big rooster-tails of water. I’ve got to say that I like this idea myself… especially if they had a nice prolonged skim over the water, allowing riders time to really reach out to try and touch it. I’m not sure about the short train design, but I suppose they could use a double loading station to fix the capacity issues.