TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Sure, Americans (specifically Californians) are doing what they always do and inventing things to be offended about so Cedar Fair caved (again) because apparently Halloween is a time where we need to focus on sensitivity and making sure we don't upset anyone while jumping out at people from behind depictions of bloodied, mutilated bodies and trying to scare the sh*t out of them.

I'll post the story here in it's entirety to save you the click to the OC Register's clickbait minefield of a website.

Knott’s Berry Farm and its parent company, Cedar Fair, announced Tuesday that they are shutting down the Halloween attraction Fear VR after the feature caused concern among mental health advocates, including Saddleback pastor Rick Warren and his wife, Kay, who sent an email to the park Tuesday.

Mental health advocates nationwide emailed Knott’s and Cedar Fair administrators expressing their concern over the last week, that the portrayal of a possessed girl in a hospital as part of a virtual-reality horror show stigmatizes and denigrates individuals with mental illnesses.

In a statement, the amusement park, which is renowned for its popular Halloween event, Knott’s Scary Farm, said its evening attractions during Halloween are “designed to be edgy, and are aimed at an adult-only audience.”

“Over the past week, we have heard from a number of people expressing concern that one of our temporary, Halloween attractions – Fear VR – is hurtful to those who suffer from mental illnesses,” the statement said. “Contrary to some traditional and social media accounts, the attraction’s story and presentation were never intended to portray mental illness.”

Since it would be impossible for them to address those concerns with Halloween just around the corner, theme park officials said, they have decided to shut down the attraction in Buena Park and at two other Cedar Fair parks – California’s Great America in Santa Clara and Canada’s Wonderland near Toronto.

The immersive attraction, which opened Thursday, was built around a girl named Katie who shows up at a medical facility. It was originally titled and marketed as "FearVR: 5150." That number refers to a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code, which authorizes a peace officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected of having a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves or others.

Knott’s and Cedar Fair dropped “5150” on opening day last week after it created an uproar in the mental health community nationwide.

Kay Warren and her husband have become vocal mental health advocates after their youngest son, Matthew, committed suicide at age 27 on April 5, 2013. They have spoken out about his long struggle with chronic depression.

Kay Warren said the ride’s original name struck a nerve because her late son was “held on a 5150” several times when he posed a danger to himself.

When she heard about the ride Monday, she took to Facebook and Twitter urging Knott’s to shut down the attraction, Warren said. On Tuesday, she added, they sent “a respectful email to (Knott’s) and received a respectful response.”

“I’m so grateful (Knott’s and Cedar Fair) listened to the voices of the mental health community,” she said.

Warren said she understands that many park-goers or community members may wonder “what the fuss is all about" or even think it’s absurd to shut down the attraction over the issue of mental health stigma.

“But, I get that someone wouldn’t know what that’s like unless they have a family member or themselves going through this pain,” Warren said. “We wouldn’t use a person suffering from cancer or heart attack and leverage it to create a thrill ride. It glorifies stigma and exacerbates people’s pain.”

Other mental health advocates who tried to get the park’s attention with letters and emails said they are pleased with the outcome.

“I feel good about what happened here,” said John Leyerle, president of the National Alliance on Mental Illness Orange County. “Thankfully, this attraction will no longer further mental health stigma.”

He added that his organization would like to continue a dialogue with Knott’s.

“By closing this ride down, they’ve moved things away from a negative place,” Leyerle said. “We see this as an opportunity to talk about this if they are open to that.”

If you're this much of a p*ssy, don't go to a Halloween event.

Sure, Americans (specifically Californians) are doing what they always do and inventing things to be offended about so Cedar Fair caved (again) because apparently Halloween is a time where we need to focus on sensitivity and making sure we don't upset anyone while jumping out at people from behind depictions of bloodied, mutilated bodies and trying to scare the sh*t out of them.

I'll post the story here in it's entirety to save you the click to the OC Register's clickbait minefield of a website.

Knott’s Berry Farm and its parent company, Cedar Fair, announced Tuesday that they are shutting down the Halloween attraction Fear VR after the feature caused concern among mental health advocates, including Saddleback pastor Rick Warren and his wife, Kay, who sent an email to the park Tuesday.

Mental health advocates nationwide emailed Knott’s and Cedar Fair administrators expressing their concern over the last week, that the portrayal of a possessed girl in a hospital as part of a virtual-reality horror show stigmatizes and denigrates individuals with mental illnesses.

In a statement, the amusement park, which is renowned for its popular Halloween event, Knott’s Scary Farm, said its evening attractions during Halloween are “designed to be edgy, and are aimed at an adult-only audience.”

“Over the past week, we have heard from a number of people expressing concern that one of our temporary, Halloween attractions – Fear VR – is hurtful to those who suffer from mental illnesses,” the statement said. “Contrary to some traditional and social media accounts, the attraction’s story and presentation were never intended to portray mental illness.”

Since it would be impossible for them to address those concerns with Halloween just around the corner, theme park officials said, they have decided to shut down the attraction in Buena Park and at two other Cedar Fair parks – California’s Great America in Santa Clara and Canada’s Wonderland near Toronto.

The immersive attraction, which opened Thursday, was built around a girl named Katie who shows up at a medical facility. It was originally titled and marketed as "FearVR: 5150." That number refers to a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code, which authorizes a peace officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected of having a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves or others.

Knott’s and Cedar Fair dropped “5150” on opening day last week after it created an uproar in the mental health community nationwide.

Kay Warren and her husband have become vocal mental health advocates after their youngest son, Matthew, committed suicide at age 27 on April 5, 2013. They have spoken out about his long struggle with chronic depression.

Kay Warren said the ride’s original name struck a nerve because her late son was “held on a 5150” several times when he posed a danger to himself.

When she heard about the ride Monday, she took to Facebook and Twitter urging Knott’s to shut down the attraction, Warren said. On Tuesday, she added, they sent “a respectful email to (Knott’s) and received a respectful response.”

“I’m so grateful (Knott’s and Cedar Fair) listened to the voices of the mental health community,” she said.

Warren said she understands that many park-goers or community members may wonder “what the fuss is all about" or even think it’s absurd to shut down the attraction over the issue of mental health stigma.

“But, I get that someone wouldn’t know what that’s like unless they have a family member or themselves going through this pain,” Warren said. “We wouldn’t use a person suffering from cancer or heart attack and leverage it to create a thrill ride. It glorifies stigma and exacerbates people’s pain.”

Other mental health advocates who tried to get the park’s attention with letters and emails said they are pleased with the outcome.

“I feel good about what happened here,” said John Leyerle, president of the National Alliance on Mental Illness Orange County. “Thankfully, this attraction will no longer further mental health stigma.”

“By closing this ride down, they’ve moved things away from a negative place,” Leyerle said. “We see this as an opportunity to talk about this if they are open to that.”

Halloween events have taken such a soft turn since the early 2010's.

"Oh, you don't want to be scared? Buy this No-Boo necklace."

"Oh, you only want to ride rides? Okay, we'll tuck the scarezones into small, discrete areas of the park."

Oh, the shows are too racy for you? We'll cover up the dancers and lighten up the jokes."

The biggest problem is the parks catering to whiny, sensitive people. It's an adult atmosphere. I don't care if you're 6 or 36. If you can't handle a Halloween event, save us all the hassle and don't f*cking go!

Halloween events have taken such a soft turn since the early 2010's.

"Oh, you don't want to be scared? Buy this No-Boo necklace."

"Oh, you only want to ride rides? Okay, we'll tuck the scarezones into small, discrete areas of the park."

Oh, the shows are too racy for you? We'll cover up the dancers and lighten up the jokes."

The biggest problem is the parks catering to whiny, sensitive people. It's an adult atmosphere. I don't care if you're 6 or 36. If you can't handle a Halloween event, save us all the hassle and don't f*cking go!

The No-Boo necklaces are probably a way for parks to capitalize on people that don't like being scared, but I agree with the rest.

While I do think avoiding adding to stigma (for any stigmatized groups, whether it be mental health, race, gender, sexuality, or disability) is important, and I could agree with changing the name (although most people probably wouldn't even know what a 5150 is), I don't really see how this VR qualifies as adding to mental health stigma. Maybe someone who rode it could weigh in?

I'm kinda pissed about this, because this could end up being a dangerous precedent. They should shut down Insanitarium because it makes fun of insane people. They should shut down Toy Factory because not all Toy factories are murder dens. Sorority Slaughter should be shut down because there is no fraternity slaughter. Killer Clown Town should be shut down because many clowns do not murder people

While I do think avoiding adding to stigma (for any stigmatized groups, whether it be mental health, race, gender, sexuality, or disability) is important, and I could agree with changing the name (although most people probably wouldn't even know what a 5150 is), I don't really see how this VR qualifies as adding to mental health stigma. Maybe someone who rode it could weigh in?

I rode it on the media preview, and you're right. The only thing is that you are a mental patient and go in for a test. That is literally the only time it mentions mental illness

I'm kinda pissed about this, because this could end up being a dangerous precedent. They should shut down Insanitarium because it makes fun of insane people. They should shut down Toy Factory because not all Toy factories are murder dens. Sorority Slaughter should be shut down because there is no fraternity slaughter. Killer Clown Town should be shut down because many clowns do not murder people

Maybe Vortex was changed to a floorless because not everyone can stand up.

Now that I think of it, Patriot is racist because not everyone lives in America.

I'm kinda pissed about this, because this could end up being a dangerous precedent.

Absolutely. They caved at Kings Dominion because they thought one of the mazes would be offensive to coal miners too. You can't cave to people like this because if you give an inch, they'll take a mile. Expect this to continue indefinitely and get progressively more and more ridiculous.

I'm kinda pissed about this, because this could end up being a dangerous precedent.

Absolutely. They caved at Kings Dominion because they thought one of the mazes would be offensive to coal miners too. You can't cave to people like this because if you give an inch, they'll take a mile. Expect this to continue indefinitely and get progressively more and more ridiculous.

They caved at Kings Dominion because they thought one of the mazes would be offensive to coal miners too

offensive to coal miners

Did they fear offending people or did actual coal miners speak out about it? Either way, the few coal miners that still exist wouldn't be seen as easily offended

They caved...to coal miners?

Hi guys. Long time coal miner and lurker here. I felt compelled to make my first post after more than six years of just reading to say coal miners are nearly impossible to offend. We are aware of the jokes and stereo types. Hell, we make them ourselves. Anyway, I'll be at Kings Island Saturday with my 9 year old son, enjoying the crap out of the offensive haunts. Now back to my hole in the ground.

Hi guys. Long time coal miner and lurker here. I felt compelled to make my first post after more than six years of just reading to say coal miners are nearly impossible to offend. We are aware of the jokes and stereo types. Hell, we make them ourselves. Anyway, I'll be at Kings Island Saturday with my 9 year old son, enjoying the crap out of the offensive haunts. Now back to my hole in the ground.

I have no idea if this is facetious or not because I'm really tired but regardless, this is my favorite post on here in quite awhile. Post more, I like you.

Best. First post. Ever!

I have no idea if this is facetious or not because I'm really tired but regardless, this is my favorite post on here in quite awhile. Post more, I like you.

Not facetious at all. In fact I don't even know what that means. See stupid coal miners stereotype confirmed. I've derailed this thread enough so back on track. Patriot looks great and after riding both versions of the Cedar Point conversion I think it will be a great addition.