TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

Just to throw it out there. I think most don't know that Fury's current crew was the original crew from Intimidator when Intimidator first came on the scene and was rocking out operations. #FUNFACT

I was at the park recently and there's a lot of survey markers in planet snoopy. I'm hearing "allegedly" they are going to be some ride relocations or rearranging going on over there. Possibly to fit in the breakdance that Carowinds supposedly got and not break the current foot print of Planet Snoopy maybe? One ride looks to be already getting dismantled and rumor has the merry-go-round is being relocated as well. I've been putting my dollar on a planet snoopy expansion for 2018 as that is the only area that hasn't been touched or expanded as of yet. Again this just rumors. The ride in question could just be getting late maintenance done? Take with a grain of salt.

I've been expecting the 2018 project to be a floorless conversion for Vortex. I never gave thought to a Planet Snoopy expansion. Now that you mentioned it, that really does seem more likely.

If the floorless was happening in 2018 it would have been mentioned in the 4 coaster announcement or teased somehow. Nothing in the description of the coasters points to it. I expect 2019 is the conversion of Vortex and then Carowinds gets a ground up coaster in 2020.

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t think you get what I’m saying at all.  As a fan, I’m really glad they opened Carowinds for like a month even though this event was really stupid because I got to ride two coasters and I w

So we went to Taste of Carowinds yesterday since we’re visiting the in-laws who live ten minutes away. Before going I was confused as to why this event was even a thing and after going I’m infini

I really need parks to get their act together by next season. We're clearly still going to be operating in a very covid positive world, but many parks seem to be doing a good job...just copy those!

Posted Images

So I bought the all season drink paper cup plan at Valleyfair thinking it was good at all Cedar Fair parks. The pass was not honored anywhere at Carowinds and when I went to guest relations they told me to call ValleyFair. ValleyFair told me it was only valid at the park you bought it at. I thought the whole point of this paper cup pass was that it was good at all CF parks. Anybody else have this problem?

So I bought the all season drink paper cup plan at Valleyfair thinking it was good at all Cedar Fair parks. The pass was not honored anywhere at Carowinds and when I went to guest relations they told me to call ValleyFair. ValleyFair told me it was only valid at the park you bought it at. I thought the whole point of this paper cup pass was that it was good at all CF parks. Anybody else have this problem?

I did not have any such problem when I used that same plan earlier this season at both Kings Dominion and Carowinds within a day of each other. Something seems off here.

I've used it at 3 parks so far this year. Straight from the official Valleyfair website:

0c616e97cb67cf9f64754d66e7037876.jpg

Edit: Did you already purchase the pass and attach it to the card? You have to BUY it from the park your pass is from. Granted you can do that online and put in your barcode. You wouldn't be able to purchase it from a different park. Does that make sense?

I would contact them again and tell them the hassle you went through. That way both parks can get the proper training. They are usually good at making things right for your time, too.

We had a little snafu the first or second weekend at one park, only one time, they claimed we had the bottle not the pass but went to guest relations and confirmed we didn't have the bottle on file and they messed up. But other than that we've had no issues.

Edited by anonymouscactus

I have the paper cup season pass drink plan and have used it at Kings Dominion, Knott's, Cedar Point, and Kings Island thus far. One thing I can think of is that when you look at the drinks page, there is a all season bottle and all season drink plan add on. Is the bottle plan with the cup option only at your home park and the all season drink add on with cup option good at all parks? The other thought is, do you have a dining plan at all? If so, Is it the home park plan or the all parks plan? I have the all parks dining plan. Maybe the drinks are linked to the dining plan if you have one. Just spit balling.

As long as you have a Platinum pass it should work at all the parks. The drink plan will not work if you have a regular pass and purchased a day ticket. I have heard the meal plan is now requiring you scan your pass to get into the park so if you somehow made it past the gate without the pass being scanned I could see the drink plan not working.

I ran into a similar problem at Knott's last year with the meal plan. The parks connection to the other parks was down. So only passes from Knott's would scan and work. They had to call customer service and lookup my pass every time I used it all day. This is why scanning a pass at a park other than your home park typically takes an extra second or two.

So far this year I have used the drink plan at Kings Island, Cedar Point, and Carowinds.

So I figured out that apparently the drink plan was not put on my Platinum Pass correctly... So I have to call ValleyFair to get everything straightened (even though I already have and they gave me false info) out since Carowinds could do nothing since my PP is for ValleyFair... What a mess!!

Anyway just spent the last two days at the park and had a blast. Love the new County Fair area, they really did a nice job with the expansion.

So in reading Screamscape today. They seem to be hearing a rumor of a 2019 Iron Hurler, which I don't doubt would happen in the future. However, I really expected to see a Rougarou treatment of Vortex next. Anyone think we could see two conversions in two years? Honestly, if there was an RMC next to Fury I would never leave that junction of the park...

So in reading Screamscape today. They seem to be hearing a rumor of a 2019 Iron Hurler, which I don't doubt would happen in the future. However, I really expected to see a Rougarou treatment of Vortex next. Anyone think we could see two conversions in two years? Honestly, if there was an RMC next to Fury I would never leave that junction of the park...

Cedar Fair's pattern has been to do the floorless conversion and then a new coaster the next year. Happened at Cedar Point and CGA. Vortex Conversion 2019 and 2020 ground up coaster. Couple of things working against RMC Hurler at Carowinds are they are doing Hurler at KD. Second, the park needs to add to their coaster count. I could actually see them getting a launch coaster or a B&M wing coaster, maybe a GCI, but less likely.

Cedar Fair's pattern has been to do the floorless conversion and then a new coaster the next year. Happened at Cedar Point and CGA. Vortex Conversion 2019 and 2020 ground up coaster.

That's considered a "pattern"? Seems just a coincidence to me. But ok . . .

Cedar Fair's pattern has been to do the floorless conversion and then a new coaster the next year. Happened at Cedar Point and CGA. Vortex Conversion 2019 and 2020 ground up coaster.

That's considered a "pattern"? Seems just a coincidence to me. But ok . . .

Cedar Point getting a Rougarou and then Valravyn was expected. Floorless conversions are pretty cheap and CP is the flagship park. CGA getting Patriot and then whatever in 2018 to me means whatever coaster order for parks CF has, a floorless conversion doesn't change your place in it. It's treated like getting a flat. The only park that got back to back coasters before was CP before CGA (the 7th or 8th best park in the chain) in 2017, 2018. One would expect the same for Carowinds 2019, 2020.

I don't know if I think Hurler will get the RMC treatment. It's their only major wood coaster now. Dominion has two others with Hurler being the worst of the three (in my opinion). I COULD see a GCI wood twistie in Crossroads since Thunder Road is gone.

Looking at Carowinds' drop tower, it seems a bit small--especially with Fury 500 feet away. I would love to see it replaced with an Intamin Sky Jump (Falcon's Fury).

That tower is small but intense.

got to spend 3-4 hours at Carowinds today for the first time in somewhere around 18-20 years. i'm sure i'm not saying anything new, but Fury sure does ride with power. first couple rides were in the 3rd row. i wasn't prepared for the pop out of your seat you get near the front of the train. later in the day, or at least for a bit, there was no grouper, so got to ride the front and back at will. anyway, plan to get back soon for more riding!

For Carowinds regulars, I'm curious because I plan on visiting soon, have they starting running the new flat rides with decent programs yet? When they opened the swings were barely spinning vs. the old ones they had removed, the Top Scan was crawling, and the Music Express wasn't going backwards. Did they fix things or is that just how it's going to be?

I'm planning to make my first ever Carowinds visit today.

I'm on a last minute work trip in Columbia, SC. I didn't even put two and two together until I drove right past the park yesterday and saw Fury 325 towering over highway 77.

My plan is to get off work at 5 PM, purchase a discounted afternoon ticket, drive the 1.5 hours to Charlotte, and sneak in as many rides as possible between 7-10 PM tonight. I don't know much about Carowinds, so I'll probably just lap Fury 325 and Intimidator, unless I'm missing something. Hopefully crowds won't be too bad on a cloudy Tuesday.

Wish me luck!

so I'll probably just lap Fury 325 and Intimidator, unless I'm missing something

You're missing Afterburn, the second best coaster in the park by a mile. If you ride Intimidator but not Afterburn, you're doing it wrong. Ride it once in the front and once in the back for the insane batwing / pretzel thing.

If I were you I'd start out with Intimidator (it'll feel like a kiddy ride if you ride it after Fury), then loop around to Afterburn and follow the loop to Fury where you can just spend the rest of the night. I guess you could also just go right to Fury to make sure you get a ride in and then loop around to the other rides.

PS: Some a**hole is about to show up and tell you to waste your time riding their overrated flyers, ignore them. If you have a full day then sure, but if you only have a few hours then don't waste your time.

so I'll probably just lap Fury 325 and Intimidator, unless I'm missing something

You're missing Afterburn, the second best coaster in the park by a mile. If you ride Intimidator but not Afterburn, you're doing it wrong. Ride it once in the front and once in the back for the insane batwing / pretzel thing.

If I were you I'd start out with Intimidator (it'll feel like a kiddy ride if you ride it after Fury), then loop around to Afterburn and follow the loop to Fury where you can just spend the rest of the night. I guess you could also just go right to Fury to make sure you get a ride in and then loop around to the other rides.

PS: Some a**hole is about to show up and tell you to waste your time riding their overrated flyers, ignore them. If you have a full day then sure, but if you only have a few hours then don't waste your time.

Great info, thanks for sharing.

Good call on Afterburn. I’d assumed it was just another batman-clone-style B&M inverter, but it sounds like I totally overlooked it. I’ll prioritize it.

Your progression sounds ideal. If Fury somehow closes early during my rides on Intimidator and Afterburn, I’ll be kicking myself forever. But logistically that progression makes too much sense, and probably ensures the most overall rides in such a short time frame.

I agree about the flying coasters. I know my coaster preferences enough to know that I typically find them overrated. Would much rather spend my time on the ABSOLUTELY INSANE looking ride that is Fury!

Hopefully all goes according to plan, and I’ll have a great mini trip report to share later tonight!