TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Does anyone on here like Goliath at Magic Mountain?

I was wondering from all the people on here that I've talked to it makes me think that nobody here likes Goliath at Magic Mountain or prefer other ones at different parks. When I went onto it last May I thought it was one of the best non-looping coasters I've ever been on in my entire life and the G's near the end were totally amazing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Overall, I would say that I do like it. The first drop is pretty good, and I like tunnels. After the second drop, it doesn't do much, in my opinion, other than the intense helix. A few more hills would have been better, IMO. Despite being a Stengel design, I think B&M or Intamin could have done better than Giovanola. That company isn't around anymore, which goes to show.

I think this question has come up before. But, yes, I like it very much. It's in my top ten. Of course, I have a pretty weird top ten (let's just say there's a wild mouse in it). The Big Ass Bunny Hill is one of my favorite elements anywhere, and I actually really like the whole "swooping around" second half (complete with WTF-random head-choppers).

Electerik

Wizard of Weird

I don't dislike the ride, but I find nothing remarkable or good about it either.

I rode it opening weekend in February of 2000 and am just as underwhelmed by it now as I was then. I've ridden Goliath more times than I can count, but everytime is just the same. It's just...bleh.

To me, the ride is terribly ill-balanced in terms of ride dynamics to be a great ride. It's one big opening drop, a turn-around, a camelback hill and then it's already half over. Sure, it's relatively tall and it's very fast and very intense, but for a ride of that height to be so short in length, and seemingly shoe-horned into that footprint leaves a little something to be desired.

Don't get me wrong, it can be a fun coaster, but I was never ever even slightly impressed with the ride. And it really doesn't take that much to impress me with coasters.

Just as a comparison, riding Magnum XL-2000 for the first time in 2002 was a completely different story. I had some high expectations from the ride considering how well-known it is and got off very impressed with it. On the flipside, Desperado is one of my most hated coasters...go figure.

So many people I ride Goliath with can't say enough great things about the ride, but to me, the ride is not so well designed and could have made a couple minor changes to add to the rides overall "greatness."

However, the ride has changed since it opened, simply because the Goliath trains move way faster than they were designed to. Two things to mention are the slow down "creep" over the top of the lift, and the MCBR which didn't used to slow down the train nearly as much.

These two things alone create an imbalance of the ride, no consistency or pace, which I feel are pretty important when it comes to a coaster. Its a constant bad timing/bad design nag I feel when I'm riding and it ruins it for me. Yeah I'll ride it for the drop and a couple pops of air, but honestly, there's much better non looping coasters out there.

It's my favorite coaster in California with Goliath in the name that adults can ride. Other than that, I think it's my least favorite hyper I've been on. It just lacks so much compared to the other hypercoasters out there. The first drop and turn above Colossus is ok, but after the speed hill, I can't even remembering the ride, and I've been on it several times on different trips. It just bores me, though the trains are pretty comfy.

I enjoy Goliath very much. The first drop is great (though I really don't like the slow down at the top of the lift hill), and it is smooth and intense. However, there really isn't much airtime to speak of. I do enjoy positive G's (and Goliath has them in spades...especially the infamous "Helix of Death". However, I think that high positive G's are better on other styles of coasters. When it comes to hyper coasters, I expect lots of airtime. In that sense, Goliath falls rather short.

The reason I like this coaster so much is because of that incident they had on it where that lady died on this ride I'm not saying I'm glad somebody died on it it's just that it makes me feel "hey that could be me that happens to." for some reason coasters that have actually killed someone seem more scarier than any other coaster you go onto I went onto every single coaster at MM last year and I didn't feel nervous on any of them except for Goliath and I got onto everyone excluding Flashback as it's been SBNO for a number of years now.

I've always liked Goliath. As has been mentioned, it could have (and should have) been a longer ride with more to it---an additional bunny hop, spiral (a la Titan), whatever.

But to me it's just as smooth as when it opened, and I'm still intrigued by the loud clanking when the train climbs the lift, then...silence...as it heads down the drop.

Not the greatest ride in the world, but a good one nonetheless.

Eric

I've never been on the ride. I've always questioned how good it would be though; it appears to be missing something.

Looking at the layout, there really only appears to be one spot where there would be any air-time. (two if you count the first drop).

That would pretty much kill it for me. People like to complain about MF not having enough air-time, and that has it on three hills (again, four if you count the first drop). Seems like the original Goliath would just be a worse case of that. (I do love MF though, so maybe id love Goliath too)

I've been on Titan at SFOT which is no different from Goliath at SFMM. Ehh its ok... I think the only thing I like about it is the first drop under the tunnel and then some of the helix...It wasn't that exciting. They should of stick with a B&M hyper or intamin