TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Krachenwagen, Klockwerks, Wilde Knight Mares, and Vikings Rage are the only 'adult' rides that will be open for Winterfest at Canada's Wonderland. No coasters as mentioned earlier. This is a 'family' event like Camp Spooky. Planet Snoopy will be open for kids. Here is a list of things to do while you and the kids are freezing, going on rides at Wonderland. Freezing cold days will be empty as cold days are during the regular season as well. I hope this works out but, I had egg nog and candy cane funnel cakes during Haunt and I can skate indoors anytime. I see why Season Pass holders get in 'free' now. You will need to fork out money to get on the skating rink. Yep, Snow Flake Lake is an upcharge and skating times are limited to 45 minutes. Free or not, I will not be there unless it is way above freezing.

https://www.canadaswonderland.com/play/winterfest/attractions

Yeah it's a family event, which is why the low amount of adult rides. From what I have heard, the first weekend has been crazy busy. BTW skating is free. Winterfest is not aimed at enthusiasts, its a family friendly version of the. Christmas market in the distillery district.

Is it $10 to reserve an ice time, or is it always free?

I got the $10 information from Amusement Insiders, which is no surprise as they generally give out incorrect information. At first, I thought Winterfest was just an easy money grab, but it really does look nice. My family might go a couple of times just to look around, but I think we are going to try to hold onto our wallets, just like at the Toronto Christmas Market where you can pay $15 for a grilled cheese.

The skating is only $10 if you want to reserve ahead of time. I was there last weekend and thought it was well worth it, especially if you have a gold pass.

• 1 month later...

Hoping to take a trip up to Canada's Wonderland sometime this summer if circumstances allow. Need some trip planning advice in case it's able to happen.

1) Looking for recommendations for a moderately cheap hotel - I'm okay with something simple like a Super 8 or Motel 6 as long as it's in a safe area.

2) Would prefer not to rent a car due to my age. Is there any way to take public transportation to or near the park, or would I mainly be stuck with taxi/Uber/Lyft?

3) I've heard that the park is usually busy every day during summer, much like Cedar Point. If I plan on spending two days at the park, is that enough time to ride all coasters and interesting flats without Fast Lane Plus, or should I plan on getting one anyway?

4) Any other interesting things to see/do and in or around Toronto?

Hoping to take a trip up to Canada's Wonderland sometime this summer if circumstances allow. Need some trip planning advice in case it's able to happen.

1) Looking for recommendations for a moderately cheap hotel - I'm okay with something simple like a Super 8 or Motel 6 as long as it's in a safe area.

2) Would prefer not to rent a car due to my age. Is there any way to take public transportation to or near the park, or would I mainly be stuck with taxi/Uber/Lyft?

3) I've heard that the park is usually busy every day during summer, much like Cedar Point. If I plan on spending two days at the park, is that enough time to ride all coasters and interesting flats without Fast Lane Plus, or should I plan on getting one anyway?

4) Any other interesting things to see/do and in or around Toronto?

1. There are a bunch around the park, but can't say how expensive it is compared to cheap rates.

2. There are public transit options, particularly in the summer. YRT (York Regional Transit), TTC (Toronto Transit Commission), and the GO (Government of Ontario) all serve a make=shift transit loop at the park.

3. Use this searchable calendar to see how busy the park is on any given date. Of course it can't predict the future but it gives you a good idea of how busy the park has been in the past on whatever days you're considering. (https://queue-times.com/parks/58/calendar/2019/12) If you're there on a day it's open 10-10 and you arrive before 10am so you can start working the busy rides right away before lines build you can fit everything in a day. Definitely takes some strategizing, though.

4. Lots. Blue Jays, Ripley's Aquarium, CN Tower, Hockey Hall of Fame, Legoland (right across from Wonderland), and more.

^^ I got there by transit years ago, and with a bit of planning, and knowing where you're going - easy!

Don't forget, it will probably be Exact Change Only if you do use the transit there.

EDIT to add: Does any major bus transit system in North America "give back change" any more? Just curious.

EDIT to add: Does any major bus transit system in North America "give back change" any more? Just curious.

The Jitneys in Atlantic City do, at least the last time I rode one sometime in 2019. I don't know if you'd call that a "major bus transit system" though.

^^ I got there by transit years ago, and with a bit of planning, and knowing where you're going - easy!

Don't forget, it will probably be Exact Change Only if you do use the transit there.

In England, that's the norm.

Yukon striker has a split at the bottom of the stairs where you choose "row 1" or "rows 2 & 3" (which goes twice as fast). If row 1 starts to flow into where the split is they will force you to the other rows, even if you request, because it would prevent people from getting up the stairs.

Leviathan doesn't have a separate queue but the station rails are a little longer to accommodate a request for the front row to the grouper. They usually won't assign you front row because it's usually longer than a train wait so you have to ask. They don't force only one trainload to wait in the front like some rides, so you can ask and most likely they will let you unless it's the end of the night.

Hopefully that makes sense.

The transit systems that serve Canada's Wonderland do not accept any change. You have to buy a card called PRESTO. They are available at most stops and stations. You must load the card and then swipe as you enter and exit the transit vehicle. I hope this helps. A warning though. Don't try to avoid buying or swiping your card. If you don't use your card correctly, then Transit inspectors will ding you with a $500.00 fine.

• 2 weeks later...

The transit systems that serve Canada's Wonderland do not accept any change. You have to buy a card called PRESTO. They are available at most stops and stations. You must load the card and then swipe as you enter and exit the transit vehicle. I hope this helps. A warning though. Don't try to avoid buying or swiping your card. If you don't use your card correctly, then Transit inspectors will ding you with a $500.00 fine.

That isn't true. Both the subway system and most busses accept cash still. Wonderland is also in process of building a bus terminal in the parking lot.

That isn't true. Both the subway system and most busses accept cash still. Wonderland is also in process of building a bus terminal in the parking lot.

Accepting change and providing change. Buy a PRESTO card and you won't have a problem.

[fbvideonew][/fbvideonew]

For those unfamiliar with transit in the area, if you're travelling with a group, you each need your own PRESTO card, you can't just load a single card with enough money and have everyone use it...

ALso just a friendly tip to get and load the Presto card at least a few days in advance. These things have so many glitches you want to make sure they're working before being in a situation where the reader thinks the card is empty and you've got no change to board the bus.

"[fbvideonew][/fbvideonew]"

What the heck was supposed to go in here? Just being curious of me.

I believe a link to a Facebook video would go there.

In other news, Season Pass Sneak Preview Night has just been announced for Friday, April 24th, 2020 from 6pm to 10pm! More details regarding the event can be found here.

If the weather is good, is season pass preview night usually an overcrowded shitshow???

I have been attending Season Pass Sneak Preview Night annually since 2013 and the crowd levels really depends on the weather as you have stated, along with what is new that season, and if there are any other large events occurring within the GTA that same night. Also, if all the rides are open and operating that night, that helps with spreading out the crowds. Unfortunately for the past couple of years, a few of the major rides were closed, which caused some of the lines to be longer than usual. But I still had a great time despite the fact!

But generally if the weather is nice, it does tend to bring out more people, but since the event is only for four hours, it tends to deter people from going and making it completely packed. Just keep an eye on the weather as the date gets closer to help decide if you want to make a visit that night!

I have been to the last several years passholder night.

It is a fun atmosphere and everyone seems happy to be back at wonderland for another season. People are understanding that rides which have not run for 6 months have a bit of downtime. Many of the staff are new and not on their midseason form.

Foodservice which is pretty bad on a good day is even slower with lots of things running out.

On paper it is a textbook shitshow but people are thrilled to be back so it winds up being a nice night out.

• 1 month later...

I hope everyone has been staying safe and healthy lately during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) outbreak we have been experiencing! Since being temporarily laid off of work for a couple of weeks as of Friday, I decided to try my hand at being creative in order to pass some of the time. Below is a photo of a clock I customized today, displaying photos of various rides at Canada's Wonderland that I had taken over the past few years. I used Photoshop to compile the photos together within a clock face template. I think it turned out quite nicely!

20200321_161649_HDR_1.thumb.jpg.fe03711707728f1f66d3c382aa956cfd.jpg

^ Very cool! You should post this entire post, with the photo of what you've done, in That C Thread, heh.

People need to get back into their "craft zone," lol.

^ Very cool! You should post this entire post, with the photo of what you've done, in That C Thread, heh.

People need to get back into their "craft zone," lol.

Thank you for the suggestion! I most definitely will!