TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best Drop Ride!!!

I still think all those other drop rides are so little and cute

I'm sure Slick agrees with me...

Would you like to tell us how tall it is again? I think I've forgotten in the last 5 seconds...

Anyway, I've ridden on a lot, but my favorite is Acrophobia. I like how the seats are so skimpy and how it tilts at the top. Onetime, I didn't have my restraint down as far as it could go...It felt like I was gonna slide out at the top.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favourite drop ride is Drayton Manor's Apocalypse, it's nice that there are different 'sides'. I think the standup-side was most intense, even more intense, is Thorpe Park's Detonator, which really packs a punch for its height, in my opinion.

I'm still quite annoyed that I didn't ride Scream, about two years ago (I were still quite a 'chicken' back then) and that I haven't ridden Gröna Lund's Fritt fall tilt, the 262 feet (80 m) high Intamin tower's standup floorless tilting side yet, even though we've driven past it many times.

I'll second that...never has a trim brake been used so amazingly!!!

And that smell when you hit it, that awesome metal and grease, it's truly terrifying.

Mmmmm Blue Fall...is it time for the TPR Japan trip yet!??!?!

Call me crazy, My personal favorite drop ride is Wildcatter at SFOT. I love 1st gen Intamin freefalls, and out of the 4 Ive been on, I think Wildcatter is the best one.

Second in my book would have to be the Superman Tower of Power (SFOT) and Scream (SFFT) for their programming alone.

^^A few of the sides has brakes that stops the cars after falling only a few meters. Then they are realesed again and drop all the way to the bottom. Apparently it makes the ride REALLY scary!

Although the cars 'feel' like they are coming to a complete stop, if you watch the ride from the ground, they only slow a little bit.

But what a difference that little bit makes!

You go from to to to to all in about 3.5 seconds! It's quite an interesting experience, to say the least. Plus at 107 meters, it's no shrimpy tower!

The scariest drop tower I've ever been on was for sure the Giant Drop at Dreamworld, Australia.

Not that the fact that this thing is 120 meters high is not intimidating enough, what made me almost wet my pants was that you were held at the top of the tower for about a minute. (without a doubt the longest minute of my life)

Well, that's not enough: While you hang there it can happen that the train of the Tower of Terror ride climbs the very same tower as well. It's one of these Intamin Reverse Freefall Coasters and the tower is literally shaking. Totally awesome.

Theming-wise, I'd have to go for Mystery Castle at Phantasialand, Germany. In fact, it's the only enclosed drop ride I know of, the ToTs excluded. The ride itself may be not that jaw-dropping, but the queue makes up for it. It's often scarier than the ride itself with so many figures trying to scare young blonde girls to death.

Giant Drop....Dreamworld, Australia....ditto....

Thinking about the longest-one-minute-of-your-life wait at the top and the absolutely INSANE airtime the drop delivers makes me shiver right now. And as Machtin said earlier, the fact that the Intamin Reverse Freefall coaster, Tower of Terror, shares the Dreamworld Tower with Giant Drop, it makes it even scarier! (Think about it...you're climbing the tower almost painfully and you hear a rumbling crescendo as a screaming carload of lunatics race up the tower next to you. And you can FEEL the vibrations!!!)

And I don't know much about other Intamin drop rides but may I ask, do other Intamin drop towers ascend at a relatively medium speed but at a few metres from the top it just CRAAAAAAAAWWWWLLLLLSSS at about one inch per second? Because Giant Drop does that and it really freaks me out to think that you cannot feel whether you have reached the top or not. Also, for those of you gawking at Blue Fall's top trim brakes, apparently at one stage, one side of the Giant Drop had this feature but I think it was removed (Anyone who goes to Dreamworld regularly can clear me for this?)

I've been to MGM at Disney World when I was very very young and I chickened out at Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. Now, I wished I could have experienced it looking at all the great reviews.

^ Have not seen the trim brakes on the west side of the tower used for quite some time. If I had to guess it was about three years ago that I last noticed the trim on the other side of the Giant Drop.

At least I get to ride a different type of tower ride after September here in Australia....and only time will tell how tall that will be.

The Trim Brakes are Still there, but they have been pushed back, so that there is No contact with the gondola, they did it cause it is Cheaper.

The reason Giant Drop goes so slow at the top is, because of the Sheer Height, and the different Gondolas, There are ALOT of sensors up the top, to tell the PC's how slow to go ect. Hope that answers your question.

My only big drop tower is Hurukan Condor at 330 ft, I don’t know about other towers but the seating options are great, offering 'seatless' as you just have a G-string style of seat with legs dangling bellow, and then your draged up 330ft really quickly as each of the 5 carts are only 4 seaters, when you come out of the kool voodoo temple decoration your all ready rather high but then it goes alot faster and you can see for miles to the beach and to my apartment and by then the dragon khan looks small, but still it drags you higher and higher then it slows down abit and the last 30ft goes so slowly and your getting more and more worried about the drop! Then you pass the camera dangling out in front of you on a little stick that makes you wonder what’s holding you on and you look and its this tiny little shoulder restraint going into the G-sting and you dont dare push against them but then the cart tips over pushing you on your tiny restraint and you have to put all you faith into it then you assume the position by put legs and arms straight out in front of you for maximum fun. You then stare down wondering if you can see any friends that chickened out but at that height you cant see anything. Of course now its the waiting game, some of the carts drop straight away some take much longer, I guess the park wasn’t busy and as it was too intense for most people they could have kept people up there all day if they wanted to, CLUNK FLASH serious airtime! Flying out of my G-string for ages getting faster and faster up to 70MPH and then in the voodoo temple then maximum G brakes slamming me into the Gstring making my hole body stop dead on top of my family jewels making me scream! Then you get to struggle out of your Gstring and used to a nice refreshing 1G. After that you have a photo of you drop with a nice fisheye view showing the hole ride. Therefore I believe this drop tower to be the best one ever, unless of corse all the others are like that in which case it’s the best because it has great themeing!

Hello everyone I´m new in this forum and here it is my littel contribuition.

My favourite one is also Hurakan Condor, I´ve tried the Riddle´s revenge at Warner Bros Park Madrid and the one in Terra Mitica Park and I think this is the best, specially the way you are seated and when it tilts at the top of the tower making you face all the way down.....there are two different ways to be seated but the riding-horse-seat is the best...

prehc12.jpg.2647a651770919dadf4719403e4f0566.jpg

This is the horse-riding seat....he, he....Watch your nuts....!!!