TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

American Dad review:

My wife, three-year-old daughter, and I went to the park two days last week. Eve is just over 37", and SDC was perfect for her. It was hot as hell, but we didn't mind. The park has a ton of shade. Emily and I had been to the park multiple times prior to this. Eve came with us last year, but was too small to ride anything outside of the rides for very small children.

She's still too little to tackle those hills and we didn't want to bring our stroller from home. It takes up a shit ton of space in our Forester. We rented one for around $20.00 at the park. It was fine.

Fireman's landing is great. Mostly, because Emily and I could drink Nitro Coffee from the nearby Starbucks while sitting in the shade, while Eve was entertained by the splash pad. She was tall enough for several rides in that area. All of the kids loved the Dalmatian ride and the swings. The ride operators were enthusiastic. We never had a chance to mess around in the firehouse ball play area.

Be prepared, the balloon spinning ride nearby is no joke when riding backwards. I wanted to puke. I'm now being subjected to all of the spinning rides I've been avoiding over the years. It's worth it, but damn. I think I am starting to build up a tolerance again, thank God. Sometimes Emily and I take turns, which helps a lot.

Flooded mine was great. The guns didn't work for shit, but Eve wanted to just look at everything, anyway.

The train was good. She called one of the robbers "Trash," just like I told her to. It was appropriate given the circumstances, so I had to take advantage of it. I also made sure to ask my wife if the people who did a barrel roll had to pay extra. It was not appropriate given the circumstances, but I hope at least a few people heard me.

Pilgrim's Plunge scared the hell out of Eve, but she said she liked it. I don't think she wanted to ride it, but we did it anyway. This might offend people, but it clearly worked with me.

As per usual, "I liked it, but it was scary." She was proud of herself for being brave, but she didn't want to ride it again. Still a win. I told her we'd never have to ride it again if she didn't want to. It's like trying food. You don't have to eat it again, but I want you to at least try it.

However, that did NOT work with the kiddie roller coaster in the Grand Exposition area. She had a bad taste in her mouth from Howler at HW, which was her first roller coaster ever. It was brutally rough, and I was hoping it was isolated to that ride. Now, I officially hate these roller skaters. It beat the shit out of us, and I'm afraid Eve will never want to ride a roller coaster again. Because of this, on day two we let her ride whatever the hell she wanted to with zero pressure to ride anything she didn't want to.

After she got the shit beat out of her on day one by the roller skater, I was surprised on day two when she decided to ride the elephant flying/spinning thing ride and the spinning pirate ships, which hauled ass. Unfortunately, we had to take turns and ride those multiple times. She wouldn't say a word on the pirate ship ride, which was by far the fastest thing she's ever been on, but as soon as we were done she wanted to ride again.

We rode the splash battle and got totally screwed. No one sat behind us, which left our flank completely vulnerable. This park has an almost complete lack of shitty people, so no one sprayed Eve and everyone pretty much concentrated on me. As much as it made the next hour a miserable sopping wet shit show, I really appreciated it. One dad even made sure to tell his two little boys, "Don't spray the girl!" 

We did a lot of re-rides on the spinning crap over our two days. We closed out our time at the park in the Grand Exposition area, while crunched for time due to dinner reservations. We knew we were screwed when she saw the hopping frog ride, or whatever it was. We thought the other rides were closed, until the butterfly/caterpillar ride started going, which CRUSHED my legs. I'm a fit guy, but I have no idea how I got in that thing.

I was staring at my watch and thought we were all done and ready to run for the exit when the God damned lady bug spinning ride started making loud beeps and whistling sounds. There was no escape, and Eve really wanted to ride it.

After that, we had to double-time it while I carried her on our way to the car in order to make our dinner reservation. Both days Eve was passed out before we left the parking lot, leaving me carrying her into the restaurants with her sleeping on my shoulder at first.

I rode Wildfire and Outlaw Run once during our visit. The lines were non-existent, so I went for it. Both were awesome. Outlaw run remains one of my favorite wooden coasters, and my favorite RMC. I didn't care to ride more coasters, as it would have taken time away from my family. Honestly, at this point it isn't about us at all anymore, and it's way more fun just to let Eve experience new things.

We still try to eat healthy(er) during the day at parks. You can't find anything that great for you, but you can at least do better than chicken strips/burgers/pizza/etc. We had wraps at Buckshots day one. (wraps love pretending to be health food) Day two we ate at the BBQ place, which was decent. (meat/vegetables)

We were in the area five days, so we also did the Dixie Stampede. I was bored out of my mind, but the kid was mesmerized, which is all that matters. We got the VIP seats in the front and my lap was numb by the time we left. Try eating food with your fingers with a kid propped up on your lap. At least we were able to eat 'kind of' healthy.

We also did a Top of the Rock attraction where you could ride golf carts on a path through the woods. It went through several caves and down steep kills. There were also a few points near the waterfalls, where a few inches of water flowed over the path. Of course we went full throttle through it. The carts had a large mounted tablet on the dashboard. It had integrated GPS which told you where you were on the path and what was coming next.

F*** the guy who decided having bear sounds in the first tunnel would be a good idea. We were frightfully asked the remainder of the time, "Is there a bear here?" I had to repeat countless time, "Eve, there's no bear here."

The best part was when a bar menu popped up on the screen. Along the path you pulled up a bar in a cave and could buy a drink for the rest of the ride. After that, I let Eve control the accelerator.

10/10 would recommend the golf cart tour. It lasted about an hour.

We stayed at a Hyatt resort in the past. This time they decided summer would be a good time to renovate their splash pad and pool area, so we stayed at Stormy Point. It's about ten minutes from SDC. It consists of mostly two bedroom cottages, and everything is themed to Nantucket. Ours was two-stories with an open living room area, full kitchen, shaded porch, etc. It had a massive pool/splash pad area with a pretty big water slide. It was too big for Eve, but luckily she only made me go down it twice. As a result, I also made her ask Emily to go down it, as well. The place also had a full bar and restaurant pool-side, with wait staff. We spent two days by the pool.

We took Eve to the strip to ride in the go-karts on the last night. You can tell the shitty crowd rolls in at night, so I wish we'd gone during the day. It was fun for her.

Emily did some research on local places to eat, instead of tourist traps. Here's what we ended up with:

Downing Street Pour House, 20 minutes away in Hollister. It had some traditional English (I think) food, and other common bar foods.  I got a pastrami platter, with cabbage and potatoes. I wanted to try something different, and it paid off huge.

Little Hacienda: This was kind of a gourmet Mexican restaurant. The atmosphere was nice and the food was as good as I can remember it being in the southwest. I got a margarita flight. The guacamole was fresh and outstanding. The place wasn't your typical copy/paste quick serve Mexican restaurant that every town has. We did this place twice. Don't go in sweaty park clothes. We made that mistake the first night. It's not an upscale restaurant, but it is on the nicer side compared to a typical place on the strip.

Mr. Gilberti's Place: I had no idea what this place is doing in the middle of the sticks in Hollister, Missouri. It's traditional Italian food with true authentic Chicago style pizza being the main focus. The Chicago style pan pizza was incredible. It's out of the way, but a must visit. We did it last year, and it was just as good. Call ahead, because it's a small place and it gets packed. It has the old style red/white striped table cloth dive atmosphere.

We ended up leaving with several stuffed animals, because Dad buys her way too much crap.

Next year we're doing Dollywood, as long as she's 39" for the family coasters. A quick trip to Great America is coming up in a couple weeks. I'm hoping Whizzer and Little Dipper will build some faith in roller coasters for Eve, if she will even get on them after the f***ing trash roller skaters.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Silver Dollar City has announced a brand-new version of Fire in the Hole to open in 2024!

image.thumb.png.c693ce52be686d3f2912244fe03b4c9a.png

Silver Dollar City today announces the new groundbreaking $30 million FIRE IN THE HOLE indoor family roller coaster, the largest in the Midwest. Opening in spring of 2024, the highly-anticipated attraction joins the park’s lineup of revolutionary rides. Located in the newly incorporated Fire District, FIRE IN THE HOLE doubles the size of one of The City’s most popular areas, already home to Station No. 3 firehouse and a collection of family-friendly attractions. Just ten months ago, the 1880s theme park, Silver Dollar City revealed an additional $30 million investment in new guest experiences and improvements, hinting at further development in the next five years. Tripadvisor, the world’s largest travel guidance platform, recently announced Silver Dollar City, located in the picturesque Ozark Mountains, as the number one amusement park in the United States based on traveler reviews and ratings.

“Signifying our biggest investment in a single attraction, FIRE IN THE HOLE continues Silver Dollar City’s strategic, multi-phased growth plan offering families opportunities to play and stay together in the heart of the Ozarks,” said Brad Thomas, President of the Silver Dollar City Company. “Spurring the creation of The Fire District, the custom-designed FIRE IN THE HOLE makes history as the Heartland’s largest indoor coaster. As the District’s anchor attraction, it will be a favorite rite of passage for families where one generation introduces the next generation to this adventure and where the heroes of today spark the heroes of tomorrow.”

The coaster experience, with a powered incline and gravity descent, including three drops and a quick splash-landing, promises a thrilling ride. In addition, a custom soundtrack with high-resolution onboard audio, show lighting effects and enhanced special effects, like using fiber optics to create a fast-burning fuse, heightens the ride experience and brings the FIRE IN THE HOLE story to life. Nearly a third-of-a-mile long, the new ride is housed in a five-story, temperature-controlled building to ensure ridership regardless of weather.

True to Silver Dollar City’s roots, the new ride's storyline is steeped in authentic regional heritage as the story is a fictional account of a real night in Ozark Mountain history when the mining town of Marmaros was burned to the ground by notorious vigilantes called the Baldknobbers. Created for multiple generations, FIRE IN THE HOLE depicts the day when Silver Dollar City citizens of all ages are pressed into service to save their town. The makers of the finest fire wagons in America’s Heartland, the Silver Dollar City Pumper Factory, invite the townspeople to the unveiling of their newest model.

Instead, the visitors find the town in flames due to the reckless Baldknobbers. Ignited into action, everyone bands together to battle the fire.

Known for pioneering innovation in the theme park industry, and a decade since they first teamed together on the history-making, award-winning Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City once again partners with Idaho-based Rocky Mountain Construction (RMC) to custom engineer and manufacture the new FIRE IN THE HOLE.

“Like Silver Dollar City, Rocky Mountain Construction is committed to creating custom-built ride experiences that haven’t been done before,” said Darren Torr, President of RMC. “We loved the challenge of engineering, fabricating, and installing the one-of-a-kind FIRE IN THE HOLE, creating a new ride experience while honoring a legendary coaster. It feels fondly familiar, yet it will be daringly different.”

The new attraction is inspired by the original FIRE IN THE HOLE attraction, first imagined, engineered and custom built at Silver Dollar City in 1972. Now celebrating its final season at the Ozarks park, the first FIRE IN THE HOLE made history when it opened, being lauded as one of the world’s first indoor roller coasters. To date, more than 25 million guests have experienced the original Ozark adventure and final rides continue through the end of the 2023 season.

image.thumb.png.c9a80bc62bb7469bf67b4a9aae3b4f50.png

• Like 3

Ya know with as many classic attractions that have been removed or renovated over the past couple of years it's pretty cool to see a park just completely upgrade and re-build an older classic ride. 

As far as the ride itself it sound like it's..... just going to be a newer better version of the old ride? I know RMC is involved but it seems like it'll be a pretty similar experience to the original ride just with better/newer/upgraded/refreshed show scenes etc. etc. I think I saw a $30 million dollar investment listed somewhere which is a lot of money, but also considering it's an entirely new coaster and a new dark ride inside of a new building $30 million maybe isn't that much money?

Should interesting to see the finished product with this one but pretty cool to see a park invest in keeping a classic historical attraction alive.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Hilltopper39 said:

Ya know with as many classic attractions that have been removed or renovated over the past couple of years it's pretty cool to see a park just completely upgrade and re-build an older classic ride. 

As far as the ride itself it sound like it's..... just going to be a newer better version of the old ride? I know RMC is involved but it seems like it'll be a pretty similar experience to the original ride just with better/newer/upgraded/refreshed show scenes etc. etc. I think I saw a $30 million dollar investment listed somewhere which is a lot of money, but also considering it's an entirely new coaster and a new dark ride inside of a new building $30 million maybe isn't that much money?

Should interesting to see the finished product with this one but pretty cool to see a park invest in keeping a classic historical attraction alive.

It looks like it'll be in Fireman's Landing, across the park from the original.  So more of a reboot than a re-build. 

Some of that $30 million could be for whatever they put in the old location.  Which if I remember right, is right next to the area that's been fenced off the last couple years, so it could be pretty big.

Looks great.  Can't wait to see it next year!

They have created a new section in the park called The Fire District.  I'd imagine the budget includes creation and theming of the whole area and the 2 new stores they mentioned (souvenirs and a pretzel hotdog place).

1 hour ago, tndank said:

Looks great.  Can't wait to see it next year!

They have created a new section in the park called The Fire District.  I'd imagine the budget includes creation and theming of the whole area and the 2 new stores they mentioned (souvenirs and a pretzel hotdog place).

It's not a new area. They are renaming the Fireman's Landing area to be The Fire District and extending its boundaries a bit.

3 hours ago, coreyb said:

It looks like it'll be in Fireman's Landing, across the park from the original.  So more of a reboot than a re-build. 

Some of that $30 million could be for whatever they put in the old location.  Which if I remember right, is right next to the area that's been fenced off the last couple years, so it could be pretty big.

The current ride building is boarded by the train on one side, the Saloon on another, the midway/Opera House theatre on another and opens up to back of house on another.

Screenshot 2023-08-14 at 2.42.49 PM.png

Tearing out the OG Fire In The Hole will make it a LOT easier to get to Outlaw Run.  The path to get there is practically hidden.

We were at SDC a year ago and the building in Fireman's Landing for this ride was massive.  I know it won't be high-thrill or anything but it will DEFINITELY be a fun ride and a nice way to escape the heat.

So i'm heading to SDC for the first time in less than two weeks (Sunday of labor day weekend). Any advice on what order i should hit the rides and everyone's recommendations for food? I'm NOT a pizza or taco guy.  Also, do they have paper park maps?

Also, I once thought I heard there was an option to going in to the park the night before and have the next day. (sorta like Hershey does it... where you get two hours before and the whole next day... not sure even if THEY do that anymore)

4 hours ago, John Peck said:

So i'm heading to SDC for the first time in less than two weeks (Sunday of labor day weekend). Any advice on what order i should hit the rides and everyone's recommendations for food? I'm NOT a pizza or taco guy.  Also, do they have paper park maps?

Also, I once thought I heard there was an option to going in to the park the night before and have the next day. (sorta like Hershey does it... where you get two hours before and the whole next day... not sure even if THEY do that anymore)

I usually start with Time Traveler and Thunderation since they are right by each other and can both have long lines because of Time Traveler’s popularity and Thunderation only having one train available. I would then go to Powder Keg if it is open since that is the other coaster that has the longest lines. Wildfire, Outlaw Run, and Fire in the Hole usually don’t get very long lines (usually less than 20-25 minutes). The water rides (especially Mystic River Falls) will have long lines on warm days, so doing them early can be helpful.

I would also make sure to try to ride the Flooded Mine at some point. It doesn’t get very long lines usually and is kind of hidden unless you look for it. It is a great way to relax/get out of the heat. 

There should be a map and show schedules in the Pathfinder (their “newspaper”). They often have someone handing these out right when you exit the Hospitality House or there is probably a stack of them around that area somewhere. I haven’t taken one in a while since I don’t use a map anymore, so I’m not entirely sure where they are if they don’t have someone handing them out.

As far as I know, they do not do any ticket that allows you to come late and get the next day. However, a two day ticket is only $20 more than a one day ticket if you would arrive early enough to make it worth it. 

19 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Tearing out the OG Fire In The Hole will make it a LOT easier to get to Outlaw Run.  The path to get there is practically hidden.

I like that, though. I feel like it contributes to the line never being more than a couple train wait every time I go.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, John Peck said:

In addition to the good advice already given; do NOT miss the cave. It is included in your ticket, you line up for the entrance just like a ride in the hospitality house that you will walk through to enter the park. It is incredible and the whole reason the park exists in the first place. As far as food, there are decent bbq options at Rivertown Smokehouse by the raft ride, a buffet of mostly home cooking type food near the entrance called Molly's Mill and a skillet stand (or maybe two) that is unique to the park.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 4:57 PM, John Peck said:

recommendations for food? 

The BBQ place if you want to have the option of eating a little less than total shit. I think we got BBQ salads with dressings full of sugar and preservatives. There's another place that sells wraps and sandwiches, for even more pretend.

The CFA-esque chicken sandwiches over by Time Traveler have been a go-to for me for a few years now.... also they have self-service Coke machines if you desire "free" refills.

Their skillets are what they are most famous for - some of them hit or miss for me, but they have a potato/pepper/sausage one that is pretty good.

I am not a huge fan of the new BBQ place - it's just fine to me, and it's fairly pricy.

Thank you for the advice so far.

I found a one day ticket online for $49, so that's  pretty good price I think. As for the Cave... I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I'm not sure I want to go down there. Is it a long journey? I'm there to experience the rides mostly, but I don't want to miss out on the unique attractions.

Why is Thunderation only running one train?

How wet do riders get on the log flume? the website says you'll get soaked.

Are there any single rider lines or other tips that you can suggest?

The skillets sound pretty good. Not sure if the wife will want those if they are heavily seasoned. How is the buffet, is it all you can eat or just one time to the buffet? Normally I don't eat in the parks unless I have a dining plan, but I don't want to leave this park during the day.

Any other helpful advice or don't miss attractions that a first-time visitor should be aware of?

The cave's first chamber is gigantic but there are some very tight spots further in.   At the staging area, there's a simulation of the tightest point, so you could evaluate beforehand if you think you can manage it.   It's about an hour tour.  

A lot of their coasters have been on one train operation for a long time now.  The past few times I've been, ALL of them were on one train but I haven't been this year.  This hurts Time Traveler really badly IMO, you'll get in line and it won't look too bad but then realize how sloooooowwly that line moves.

Yes you will get soaked on the log flume.

No single rider lines. You can buy a Trailblazer pass that does make a big difference for some rides but I never felt it was worth the cost.  However, I believe you can purchase a single use pass for $15 and I can't deny I'd be tempted for Time Traveler, especially if I hadn't ridden it before.  But I genuinely love the queue music  so IDK

The cave is awesome and I’m not claustrophobic but I can’t imagine it being too bad for someone who is.

not gonna lie, the day you’re going I could see being busy. Usually that’s not a major issue but you’re gonna want to hit Powderkeg first, second and third because that ride sucks with capacity. TT would be next but that’s on the opposite side of the park and usually a quicker line anyway. Mystic River is broken down half the time so get on that when you can

Tom and Huck is an incredible water ride.

Outlaw Run never really has a line.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chiselphane said:

A lot of their coasters have been on one train operation for a long time now.  The past few times I've been, ALL of them were on one train but I haven't been this year. 

I have seen every ride except Thunderation run two trains on my three visits this year. Powder Keg and Time Traveler have always ran two trains on those visits (as far as I know). Outlaw Run and Wildfire occasionally run two trains, but I think I’ve only seen it on Saturdays. They might be more likely to do it on a holiday weekend though. As of earlier this month, the second Thunderation train is taken apart with only half of it in the storage area.

I would actually say to not prioritize the cave if you care more about the rides. I’ve had to wait an hour just to get in the cave for the hour tour, so doing the tour can take 2+ hours. I also know some people in my family who don’t like it because they get claustrophobic. I enjoy the cave, but you would likely have to sacrifice doing other things to do it.

Grandfather’s Mansion is another unique attraction that can be missed if you’re not looking for it. You just walk through it and it won’t take more than 5-10 minutes.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 5:36 AM, John Peck said:

How wet do riders get on the log flume? the website says you'll get soaked.

You won't get half as soaked as you will on their splash battle............. So yeah. You'll get soaked.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:00 PM, prozach626 said:

You won't get half as soaked as you will on their splash battle............. So yeah. You'll get soaked.

Yup, it's a sneaky one.  You'll be dry until halfway through the splashdown when suddenly you get a wave in your face, chest, lap, etc.  Keep your shoes as well-hidden on the sides of the log as possible to avoid squishy socks.

Thank you for the help so far... just a  couple more questions to get the most out of my trip and stay ahead of the crowds:

- the park has a posted 9:30 opening time. do the rides start at 9:30 as well? Do people get in earlier than the 9:30 time and is there a rope drop or can we make our way into the park and line up for something. And... do you feel people tend to get there early.

- Do you get wet on the flooded mine?

- are there any other hidden treasures besides grandpas house and the cave that I need to make note of? I'm not sure when I will be able to come back here, so I want to see the most I can this trip. It's  lonnnnnngggg way from Ohio. :)

Thanks!