TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

• 3 months later...

Looks like I'm finally going to make it to SDC this year, and I am REALLY looking forward to it. I enjoyed Dollywood, and at the very least it looks like Dollywood but better, so can't wait. Been doing some research but was wondering if I could get some advice from here!

I have a couple specific questions:

Does the front area with Marvel Cave really open an hour before the rest of the park? My thought was to hit the cave tour early during that initial hour and then go into the park when it opens.

Once the park opens, I was planning on going to Time Traveler and Thunderation first, and then working counter-clockwise from there, is that an ok plan of attack?

Most importanly...where do I find the cinnamon bread? Everyone talks about the Grist Mill at DW, but never heard where to get it at SDC...

Any additional advice that could be given would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

2 hours ago, swfan1988 said:

Looks like I'm finally going to make it to SDC this year, and I am REALLY looking forward to it. I enjoyed Dollywood, and at the very least it looks like Dollywood but better, so can't wait. Been doing some research but was wondering if I could get some advice from here!

Does the front area with Marvel Cave really open an hour before the rest of the park? My thought was to hit the cave tour early during that initial hour and then go into the park when it opens.

Once the park opens, I was planning on going to Time Traveler and Thunderation first, and then working counter-clockwise from there, is that an ok plan of attack?

Most importanly...where do I find the cinnamon bread? Everyone talks about the Grist Mill at DW, but never heard where to get it at SDC...

Any additional advice that could be given would be really appreciated! Thanks in advance everyone!

1 - I believe that's still the case, but if you're interested in the cave tour, consider doing the lanternlight tour they offer at night.  It's an extra ticket, but not expensive; I think it was $15.  It's much more fun to see the cave that way, and you get to go into places the normal tour doesn't as well.  I absolutely loved it.

2- That's what I did last summer, and it worked  out just fine!

3- It's near the entrance to Mystic River Falls, sort of diagonally across the main path there.  Very hard to miss.  (Which is good, you should never ever miss the cinnamon bread...)

ef224876b7f1cb8eed2c902e65c2be30.png.01f2d535044aabf3056e4ea0c8187a2f.png

Other advice...I'm sure you're already planning on it but do NOT miss Outlaw Run at night.  It's okay during the day.  At night, though, /wow/.

• Thanks 1

Warning: if you go counter-clockwise, be prepared to huff and puff up Hugo's Hill Street (aka "Cardiac Hill" as many like to call it). You can avoid the worst of the hill by going past American Plunge and next to the Knife and Leather shops.

• Thanks 1

I finally got to SDC last week. I've wanted to ride Fire In Hole for 35+ years. Had to do it before they rebuilt it. Also wanted to do Flooded Mine since it had been 20+ years since I rode it at Dollywood.

SDC is incredible. Top tier park. Time Traveler is crazy but the back car is nuts out of the station. Can't wait to go back. Did the regular and latern cave tours a couple hours apart. Both guides were so good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, swfan1988 said:

1.  The area does but keep in mind that doesn't guarantee mean the cave tour itself will be running at that point.  I dont know if you can definitively find out ahead of time;  calling the day before might work? But yes absolutely spring for the lantern tour if your schedule allows.

2.  Personally I usually hit Powder Keg first thing because A: it almost always will go down at least once during the day and B: it tends to get very long and slow moving lines, at least in part due to A because a good chunk will just sit in line til it's running again.   A big caveat though is it isn't always up and running by the time the park's open, so that approach can really backfire on busy days.     Your plan is fine though.  Hit the swinging bridge on the way to TT!

3.  If you want to ride Mystic River Falls, earlier is better.  That line gets big even in off season; during the height of summer? No thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1