TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

^^Plus if it was a dark ride, why not reuse the Good Times Theater building, or add onto it? It would be quite pointless to tear down a building and build a new one in the same place.

Signs have been pointing all year to a coaster. And there's a 90% chance that will happen at this point.

It amazes me how many still believe this will be a dark ride. There are two key indicators saying this is a coaster.

1) Matt Ouimet's interview in which he said there will be no dark rides in 2016.

2) Land clearing/coaster wall. This area is way too big for just a dark ride and is prime territory for a coaster.

If you haven't read the first panel on the teaser, I recommend you do. "This legacy of world class roller coasters continues here." How can you seriously believe this won't be a coaster after reading that?

Sorry, Canada's Wonderland diehards--not a dive coaster.

I "believe" it will be a dark ride, because that's the easiest way to avoid being disappointed if it's not a major coaster! This way, if it does indeed end up being the coaster, I'll be elated!

Regarding the land clearing, I've always thought that the land being cleared, was actually going to be for both the major coaster, AND the Triotech dark ride. One coming in 2016, and one in 2017. My biggest question is which year for which. I definitely agree that I'd be shocked if a coaster does not reside within the boundaries of that walled-off area at some point before too long!

I have not read the actual panels on the wall, as I haven't been to CP since early in the season. If that's what it says, it could still technically be referring to a ride like WMG, which is still considered a coaster. Just sayin'... I hope you're right, and it IS a coaster.

It amazes me how many still believe this will be a dark ride. There are two key indicators saying this is a coaster.

1) Matt Ouimet's interview in which he said there will be no dark rides in 2016.

2) Land clearing/coaster wall. This area is way too big for just a dark ride and is prime territory for a coaster.

If you haven't read the first panel on the teaser, I recommend you do. "This legacy of world class roller coasters continues here." How can you seriously believe this won't be a coaster after reading that?

Sorry, Canada's Wonderland diehards--not a dive coaster.

Wonder Mountains Guardians is considered a coaster...

^^^Yes, it's a coaster and a dark ride. But it was stated that no dark rides are in the pipeline for 2016 for Cedar Fair parks. Therefore, unless the Point plans to build two dark rides, one as a dark ride and one coaster/dark ride combo, then we probably won't see a dark ride next year.

As for "record breaking". If all rumors end up being true, this will break many records and could even break many more. Now that we have seen other dive coasters add inversions outside of the Immelman, this is intriguing.

-Tallest Dive Coaster

-Fastest Dive Coaster

-Longest Dive Coaster

-Longest Drop on a Dive Coaster

-First Dive Coaster with a Vertical Loop (possibly the tallest vertical loop? Depending on momentum and train layout)

-Tallest Rollercoaster to feature inversions

-Most Inversions on a Dive Coaster

Of course this is all spit-balling here, but they announced GateKeeper as a "record breaking scream machine" as well. And it did break many records (many it still holds). Therefore, yeah, this would count as record-breaking (if it indeed is what it is)

Maybe it's just me, but a dive coaster still sounds like such a stupid idea in my opinion. Do we really need a huge steel coaster at Cedar Point? Is that what they're missing? I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI or a Triotech dark ride before this. Cedar Point does not need a new steel coaster until they improve other parts of the park. Sure, I might be in the minority when I say this, but if CP builds a new Dive Coaster, I'd be disappointed. Especially if that's the only park to get a roller coaster, and the smaller parks are passed over AGAIN.

Maybe it's just me, but a dive coaster still sounds like such a stupid idea in my opinion. Do we really need a huge steel coaster at Cedar Point? Is that what they're missing? I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI or a Triotech dark ride before this. Cedar Point does not need a new steel coaster until they improve other parts of the park. Sure, I might be in the minority when I say this, but if CP builds a new Dive Coaster, I'd be disappointed. Especially if that's the only park to get a roller coaster, and the smaller parks are passed over AGAIN.

I fully agree, but Dive Coasters mean high publicity for the park!!

^^^Yes, it's a coaster and a dark ride. But it was stated that no dark rides are in the pipeline for 2016 for Cedar Fair parks. Therefore, unless the Point plans to build two dark rides, one as a dark ride and one coaster/dark ride combo, then we probably won't see a dark ride next year.

As for "record breaking". If all rumors end up being true, this will break many records and could even break many more. Now that we have seen other dive coasters add inversions outside of the Immelman, this is intriguing.

The current record holders are as follows

Tallest - Diving Coaster, 213.3'

Fastest - Diving Coaster, est. 70mph+

Longest - Dive Coaster, 3218.5'

Tallest Drop - Diving Coaster, est. 208.3'

Tallest Roller Coaster to feature inversions - Eejanaika, 249.3'

With the addition of Raptor, Mantis & GateKeeper, which have all upped the ante on their respective models by roughly 25%, we could see something along the lines of;

250'+ tall

75 mph fast

3500' long

245' drop

(realistically, just add a few meters to the height & drop, and maybe 50-100m in track length)

This is just over-bloated enthusiasts estimation, of course.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

^^^I'm Cedar Point won't disappoint! Cedar Fair knows what they're doing and the reasons for them.

I'll wait patiently for the announcement.

I however am having trouble being patient waiting on the merchandising person to call me back about the coaster dynamix Millie. It's been 5 hours. and today is a slow work today for me so i am bored.

edit: Nevermind they called back.

Edited by Ape

I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI

Sorry, but you said GCI in your statement there. You must have meant someone else.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You said "GOOD" not "GREAT" or "OMFG AWESOME!"

I retract my statement. GCI does make "GOOD" wooden roller coasters.

Edited by robbalvey

I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI

Sorry, but you said GCI in your statement there. You must have meant someone else.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You said "GOOD" not "GREAT" or "OMFG AWESOME!"

I retract my statement. GCI does make "GOOD" wooden roller coasters.

Accurate

I guess this thread would be too boring if everyone were to just agree that this is going to be a Dive Coaster.

Anyways, I really enjoyed my ride on Sheikra...I thought it was a great ride. Looking forward to seeing what they will do here.

GCI would need to create one hell of a coaster to impress me at this point. I don't hate their coasters at all, but I don't necessarily love them to death. Lightning Racer is the only one that I felt was an amazing ride, with the rest lying somewhere in the lower portion of my rankings.

Wake me up when they create a coaster with a real first drop (besides LR), and can impress me once more.

I am happy with a dive coaster coming closer to me, as I won't have to travel all the way to Virginia to ride one. Both that I have been on were pretty solid attractions.

I am happy with a dive coaster coming closer to me, as I won't have to travel all the way to Virginia to ride one. Both that I have been on were pretty solid attractions.

THIS! Most people probably know by now I'm not a huge fan of B&Ms over the past ten years. I've probably come really close to riding every single one of them, and only a handful have impressed me from about 2002 onwards.

I will say though, I very much enjoyed SheiKra and it's two Chinese clones quite a bit, and they were some of the B&Ms that have impressed me, so if they can create a Dive Machine that tops that one, I think they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

On the other hand, I wasn't that big of a fan of Griffon. I felt that it's "let's do the exact same ride twice in a row" thing left a lot to be desired, IMO.