TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^^Yes, it's a coaster and a dark ride. But it was stated that no dark rides are in the pipeline for 2016 for Cedar Fair parks. Therefore, unless the Point plans to build two dark rides, one as a dark ride and one coaster/dark ride combo, then we probably won't see a dark ride next year.

As for "record breaking". If all rumors end up being true, this will break many records and could even break many more. Now that we have seen other dive coasters add inversions outside of the Immelman, this is intriguing.

The current record holders are as follows

Tallest - Diving Coaster, 213.3'

Fastest - Diving Coaster, est. 70mph+

Longest - Dive Coaster, 3218.5'

Tallest Drop - Diving Coaster, est. 208.3'

Tallest Roller Coaster to feature inversions - Eejanaika, 249.3'

With the addition of Raptor, Mantis & GateKeeper, which have all upped the ante on their respective models by roughly 25%, we could see something along the lines of;

250'+ tall

75 mph fast

3500' long

245' drop

(realistically, just add a few meters to the height & drop, and maybe 50-100m in track length)

This is just over-bloated enthusiasts estimation, of course.

Edited by JonnyRCT3

Maybe it's just me, but a dive coaster still sounds like such a stupid idea in my opinion. Do we really need a huge steel coaster at Cedar Point? Is that what they're missing? I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI or a Triotech dark ride before this. Cedar Point does not need a new steel coaster until they improve other parts of the park. Sure, I might be in the minority when I say this, but if CP builds a new Dive Coaster, I'd be disappointed. Especially if that's the only park to get a roller coaster, and the smaller parks are passed over AGAIN.

^^^I'm Cedar Point won't disappoint! Cedar Fair knows what they're doing and the reasons for them.

I'll wait patiently for the announcement.

I however am having trouble being patient waiting on the merchandising person to call me back about the coaster dynamix Millie. It's been 5 hours. and today is a slow work today for me so i am bored.

edit: Nevermind they called back.

Edited by Ape

I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI

Sorry, but you said GCI in your statement there. You must have meant someone else.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You said "GOOD" not "GREAT" or "OMFG AWESOME!"

I retract my statement. GCI does make "GOOD" wooden roller coasters.

Edited by robbalvey

I think Cedar Point needs a GOOD wooden roller coaster from GCI

Sorry, but you said GCI in your statement there. You must have meant someone else.

EDIT: Oh, I see. You said "GOOD" not "GREAT" or "OMFG AWESOME!"

I retract my statement. GCI does make "GOOD" wooden roller coasters.

Accurate

I guess this thread would be too boring if everyone were to just agree that this is going to be a Dive Coaster.

Anyways, I really enjoyed my ride on Sheikra...I thought it was a great ride. Looking forward to seeing what they will do here.

GCI would need to create one hell of a coaster to impress me at this point. I don't hate their coasters at all, but I don't necessarily love them to death. Lightning Racer is the only one that I felt was an amazing ride, with the rest lying somewhere in the lower portion of my rankings.

Wake me up when they create a coaster with a real first drop (besides LR), and can impress me once more.

I am happy with a dive coaster coming closer to me, as I won't have to travel all the way to Virginia to ride one. Both that I have been on were pretty solid attractions.

I am happy with a dive coaster coming closer to me, as I won't have to travel all the way to Virginia to ride one. Both that I have been on were pretty solid attractions.

THIS! Most people probably know by now I'm not a huge fan of B&Ms over the past ten years. I've probably come really close to riding every single one of them, and only a handful have impressed me from about 2002 onwards.

I will say though, I very much enjoyed SheiKra and it's two Chinese clones quite a bit, and they were some of the B&Ms that have impressed me, so if they can create a Dive Machine that tops that one, I think they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

On the other hand, I wasn't that big of a fan of Griffon. I felt that it's "let's do the exact same ride twice in a row" thing left a lot to be desired, IMO.

I believe if Cedar Point does add a B&M Dive Machine the parks publicity will rise... (Duh Me...)

Anyways I like that the Cedar Fair parks are going along the lines of mythological creatures! (GateKeeper, Banshee, Rougarou, Valravn, Hydra, ETC.)

Rob I agree whole heartedly...

Cedar point has an amazing line up, and it really does have "something for everyone" in their coaster line up. We have super extreme (TTD Maverick) super long (Millenium and Mean Streak) people eaters (gatekeeper, raptor, rougarou) and small and medium coasters for all the GP people that just want a fun ride that doesn't push the boundaries too far...

I think a dive machine is a great addition to their line up, and I'm sure with this being cedar fair, and cedar point it will be a stand out ride! I'm sure we will see some truly unique maneuvers that will make this ride a great one.

In the mean time 14 more days of us beating a dead horse...

I think a Dive Machine would be a fantastic addition to Cedar Points already potent lineup of coasters. I really enjoyed Griffon and Sheikra when I rode those and knowing Cedar Point they are going to try to top those 2 in terms oh height,speed,layout etc. Already planning to get a platinum pass for next year so I can get to ride this,Rougerou and Gatekeeper for the first time and be reunited with my beloved Maverick

If it is a coaster, does this raise or lower the possibility of a KI giga in 2017?

Given that KI tends to wait a few years between coasters (generally 4-5), I don't think we'll see a new coaster for quite some time. I do think a nice dark ride could be coming within the next couple of years, but personally, I don't see KI getting a new coaster until at least 2018. In terms of a giga, I personally consider it unlikely. You need a lot of room for a giga, and while KI has ALOT of unoccupied land, not much of it is level enough for a giga (name one terrain gigacoaster you've ever seen). I'm not saying impossible, I'm just saying a wing coaster is probably next.

THIS! Most people probably know by now I'm not a huge fan of B&Ms over the past ten years. I've probably come really close to riding every single one of them, and only a handful have impressed me from about 2002 onwards.

I will say though, I very much enjoyed SheiKra and it's two Chinese clones quite a bit, and they were some of the B&Ms that have impressed me, so if they can create a Dive Machine that tops that one, I think they'd have a huge hit on their hands.

On the other hand, I wasn't that big of a fan of Griffon. I felt that it's "let's do the exact same ride twice in a row" thing left a lot to be desired, IMO.

True, but while Griffon did lack in many aspects, its a helluva lot better than the one-trick ponies that were the first diving machines (Oblivion & G5, though Oblivion's theming makes up for its short layout).

Terrain Giga Coaster? Let's see, Milenium uses the island pretty well...

And just because we haven't seen one, doesn't mean we won't... A Giga Terrain sounds like a crapload of fun!! Especially night rides like the beast on steroids!

Well, CP is damn near completely flat, so anything low can be called a terrain coaster there. But I agree, sounds badass. Remember, I said "unlikely", not "impossible".

I believe if Cedar Point does add a B&M Dive Machine the parks publicity will rise...

If there is one thing I know is that the general public loves them. Every time we post a video of one it gets a ton of views, more than if we just posted a fairly standard wood or steel coaster. People see the car hanging off the top of the drop, paused before it falls and they are all "nope!" To many, that's even more frightening than TTD's height!

Terrain Giga Coaster? Let's see, Milenium uses the island pretty well...

And just because we haven't seen one, doesn't mean we won't... A Giga Terrain sounds like a crapload of fun!! Especially night rides like the beast on steroids!

Well, CP is damn near completely flat, so anything low can be called a terrain coaster there. But I agree, sounds badass. Remember, I said "unlikely", not "impossible".

Just setting up my signature

A dive machine is the best option for overall diversity. Plain and simple. It will add to the already spectacular coaster skyline, and it has elements unique to anything else in the park. The only thing that I would rather see (not to sound like a broken record), is an RMC converted Mean Streak.

In terms of a giga, I personally consider it unlikely. You need a lot of room for a giga, and while KI has ALOT of unoccupied land, not much of it is level enough for a giga (name one terrain gigacoaster you've ever seen). I'm not saying impossible, I'm just saying a wing coaster is probably next.

Every roller coaster, including clones, are custom built for their customers. If they want a terrain Giga-coaster, they'll get terrain Giga-coaster. There is literally no reason why this couldn't happen.

I just had to read through like 10 pages, and I had just checked a few hours ago! The next 15 days are going to be agonizing with anticipation. I think a dive machine is a perfect fit to CP's already legendary lineup. The GP will go crazy over it, they love (and are terrified by) the aspect of hanging over the drop, a vertical one at that. This is going to be great, and I'm really glad CP is doing the announcement at night so I don't have to wake up early! (*Cough, Carowinds 2015 *cough)

In terms of a giga, I personally consider it unlikely. You need a lot of room for a giga, and while KI has ALOT of unoccupied land, not much of it is level enough for a giga (name one terrain gigacoaster you've ever seen). I'm not saying impossible, I'm just saying a wing coaster is probably next.

Every roller coaster, including clones, are custom built for their customers. If they want a terrain Giga-coaster, they'll get terrain Giga-coaster. There is literally no reason why this couldn't happen.

Why y'all jumping on me? All I said was that, IMHO, I don't see it likely. I would love it, but seeing as the park's last two coasters cost a combined $46 million, I just don't see it.