TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Sorry, I keep reading "these rides are intense and forceful" over and over again, I think something in my brain broke. I hope everyone is aware the airtime you feel on the first drop is plain old weightlessness, which is in fact lack of force.

Did you know you are subjected to gravitational force almost every moment of your life? Incredible! MAD FORCEZ YO.

I can't remember where it was posted but in an interview Jason McClure said himself that their will be an announcement in August. If it is a new coaster (let's be real we all think it is) that's when it'll be announced.

So doing some basic math, its about 1.2 per day, and it has been a pattern of "2 off 2 2 off off 2 2 off 2", so then tomorrow would be 2 more, then two days off, then the final two, then one day off, then the announcement. Which would put the possible announcement on Tuesday of next week.

They'll probably announce on the "final day" that there will be an official announcement later on in the season .

Griffin (2x) - If Inverts are my favorite design from B&M than Dive Machines are a close second. I've been on both Shiekra and Griffin now and I can say both as amazing. I don't understand how some see this as a gimmick coaster because this thing delivers every time. I do not get tired of that holding brake before the first drop cause it just adds to the experience. These rides are intense and forceful so A+ in my book. I also love how Griffin weaves in an out of France. Flying under that bridge after the first drop is breathtaking. 10/10

For those who are still complaining/Unsure of the Dive Machine concept. (From the BGW Thread.)

Sorry, I keep reading "these rides are intense and forceful" over and over again, I think something in my brain broke. I hope everyone is aware the airtime you feel on the first drop is plain old weightlessness, which is in fact lack of force.

SheiKra and Griffon both pull 4G's... that's not really a lack of force. That's actually a decent amount of g-force. And we know Cedar Point wouldn't build anything less than what those two do.

Any coaster with a decent drop will pull a decent amount of Gs at the bottom, but what contributes to a feeling of "forcefulness" is how frequently high G force is felt, how long it's sustained, and how suddenly it comes on/transitions into a different kind of force. I don't think anybody could honestly describe the current US dive coasters as being particularly "forceful", relative to other big loopers. Now, what B&M COULD do is put some inversions like the zero G on Thunderbird, where the riders on the far left and right (the "wing seats") feel that weird tug to the side. That would be great! Here's hoping.

A little off topic, but how long should one visiting on say... the 8th of July... expect the lines of rougarou to be..? Especially if it's available for early entry which I haven't checked on yet but in all honesty when we went last year, we hit Maverick 3 times, Millennium twice and made it to dragster right as the park opened and got on within 10 minutes so if we must run to Rougarou instead it wouldn't be an issue.

What's up with all of this talk about forcefulness. Why does a coaster need extreme, near-blackout g-forces to be considered good? I guess everyone likes different things, but I just like a good mixture of new elements and air time. Theming is a plus too.

Wait... What...Theming??? I mean... This is Cedar Point we are talking about.

What's up with all of this talk about forcefulness. Why does a coaster need extreme, near-blackout g-forces to be considered good? I guess everyone likes different things, but I just like a good mixture of new elements and air time. Theming is a plus too.

Wait... What...Theming??? I mean... This is Cedar Point we are talking about.

Hey, Maverick has decent theming... and so does.... well, Maverick does.

I love Sheikra but describing it as forceful isn't correct. I think its more accurate that its distinct lack of force, or extended weightlessness on the first drop, is truly exceptional and one of my favorite coaster experiences.

I totally agree. I love super intense coasters as much as the next guy, but intensity does not make a great coaster automatically, and just because a coaster isn't intense, does not make it a flaming pile of crap either. I personally believe a dive coaster is the perfect fit for CP. But that's just me...

I don't get it either, if you're at Cedar Point and craving some forces near the front of the park, there's a big green intensity machine or an Intamin impulse with your name on it. If you're in the back of the park, Maverick's right there for you... in the middle of the park go ride Dragster or Magnum.

Cedar Point isn't lacking in the "force" department.

I totally agree. I love super intense coasters as much as the next guy, but intensity does not make a great coaster automatically, and just because a coaster isn't intense, does not make it a flaming pile of crap either. I personally believe a dive coaster is the perfect fit for CP. But that's just me...

This! I really don't understand why most enthusiasts believe that extreme forces = great ride? Obviously, forces don't sell tickets. There is much more to a ride than blackout G's. SheiKra and Griffon both have moments of plentiful positive and near zero G's, so I'd expect the others to have the same. Dive Coasters usually have unique layouts with wonderful ride experiences. That, to me, sounds like a great coaster to ride and to invest in.

This! I really don't understand why most enthusiasts believe that extreme forces = great ride? Obviously, forces don't sell tickets. There is much more to a ride than blackout G's. SheiKra and Griffon both have moments of plentiful positive and near zero G's, so I'd expect the others to have the same. Dive Coasters usually have unique layouts with wonderful ride experiences. That, to me, sounds like a great coaster to ride and to invest in.

I agree. I visited King's Dominion for the first time about 2 weeks ago on a SATURDAY. Very busy day...The longest I waited for I-305 was 15 minutes, I could have hopped on and off if I didn't want to try the front seat a couple of times. I kept asking locals what gives? I thought it was great but I can understand why the general public wouldn't re-ride. Sure enough, a lot of the GP said it's a "one and done" for most around there. It's a great ride and I really enjoyed it, but does it benefit the park as much? Not really from a business stance, so a less forceful ride that caters to the other 99% that aren't "enthusiasts" is the better market move. We'll always have our few that have those intense moments if you desire it, but don't expect each new one to be intense. Look at all the uproar over Fury 325 by the enthusiasts, and compare that to the GP and you'll know what I mean.

I agree. I visited Kings Dominion for the first time about 2 weeks ago on a SATURDAY. Very busy day...The longest I waited for I-305 was 15 minutes, I could have hopped on and off if I didn't want to try the front seat a couple of times. I kept asking locals what gives? I thought it was great but I can understand why the general public wouldn't re-ride. Sure enough, a lot of the GP said it's a "one and done" for most around there. It's a great ride and I really enjoyed it, but does it benefit the park as much? Not really from a business stance, so a less forceful ride that caters to the other 99% that aren't "enthusiasts" is the better market move. We'll always have our few that have those intense moments if you desire it, but don't expect each new one to be intense. Look at all the uproar over Fury 325 by the enthusiasts, and compare that to the GP and you'll know what I mean.

Exactly. Fury 325 is much less forceful than Intimidator 305, but Intimidator 305 and Leviathan were more or less a test to see if the GP preferred a more intense or a less intense ride (which oftentimes encompasses the modern Intamin v. B&M debate), and it shows. I've never been to Canada's Wonderland, but from what I've heard that ride draws long lines, while even on the Fourth of July Intimidator 305's line never exceeds thirty minutes or so. With this in mind, B&M was selected for Carowinds' Fury 325, which is by no means a bad ride, but many enthusiasts (myself included) prefer Intimidator 305. Once again, Fury 325 received a much more universally positive GP response to the ride (Intimidator 305 is also feared by many locals for the inevitable grayout from the prolonged 5-7 Gs during the first turn, which TBH isn't that bad but is fairly unsettling on the first few times around). Cedar Fair's goal is to make money, so they need to attract crowds. I've been on Griffon many times, and it's a fun ride (albeit short), with a nice rush, but it's not an intense ride at all. If Cedar Point builds a dive machine, they have made the right call attendance-wise and will draw very large crowds. Stop complaining, and enjoy your sixteen-to-be-seventeen world-class coasters.

I love Sheikra but describing it as forceful isn't correct. I think its more accurate that its distinct lack of force, or extended weightlessness on the first drop, is truly exceptional and one of my favorite coaster experiences.

You do know that there is more to the coaster than the first drop right?? Because yes, the first drop is a "lack of force" because you are experiencing weightlessness, but from the weightlessness you go straight into 4 positive g's. I mean... am I the only one here who is thinking that 4 positive g's is not exactly force-less???

I agree, I think a Dive Coaster is a great fit for Cedar Point. It is high capacity, reliable, and something the GP will LOVE!

I really do not get all the complaining about a Dive Machine being force-less. I will go back to my statement before and say... I can't help but wonder how many people who are complaining about this "Dive Machine" coming to Cedar Point... have actually been on a Dive Machine, and how many of them are just complaining because other people are complaining, and so they feel like they should complain too.

Did you know you are subjected to gravitational force almost every moment of your life? Incredible! MAD FORCEZ YO.

"Almost"

Yeah, the only times you're likely to have your body not feeling 1G or above is when you're in freefall or underwater. For individuals who aren't spending huge chunks of time on a space station, 99.99999% of their life will be spent in a state of being subjected to gravitational force.

I want a ride that works consistently. If it is forceful and doesn't cause physical discomfort as a result of those forces, that's fine, but my core interest is riding something that works. If I want to be seriously thrilled and wow'ed, I'll go an activity involving real danger instead.

I just feel like a dive machine works better at a park with a less intimidating coaster line up. Sure, Griffon and Sheikra wow visitors at their respective parks, but at Cedar Point, a park that already has THREE coasters with vertical or beyond drops (TTD, Maverick and WT), and MF that's darn near vertical, is another vertical drop going to be that impressive to a lot of guests? Especially since two of those drops on current coasters will undoubtedly be much longer than the proposed dive. Just seems like a park's dive coaster should be the big bad headlining ride, which it wouldn't be. That, combined with the fact that Cedar Point already has a coaster with extra wide trains (GK), a dive coaster would just be near the bottom of the list of coasters I'd install if I were the person making that decision. There are plenty of other ride types that would round out the collection of rides better - woodie, spinning, RMC, flyer, etc. Who knows. I'm sure whatever it is will be great. Cedar Point rarely disappoints.