TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I just feel like a dive machine works better at a park with a less intimidating coaster line up. Sure, Griffon and Sheikra wow visitors at their respective parks, but at Cedar Point, a park that already has THREE coasters with vertical or beyond drops (TTD, Maverick and WT), and MF that's darn near vertical, is another vertical drop going to be that impressive to a lot of guests? That, combined with the fact that Cedar Point already has a coaster with extra wide trains (GK), a dive coaster would just be near the bottom of the list of coasters I'd install if I were the person making that decision. There are plenty of other ride types that would round out the collection of rides better - woodie, spinning, RMC, flyer, etc. Who knows. I'm sure whatever it is will be great. Cedar Point rarely disappoints.

Dive coasters provide a unique enough total ride experience to make those vertical drops on the parks Intamin's irrelevant. Whatever it is, people will complain, yet it will still draw both GP and enthusiasts to the park and everyone will enjoy it. A good ride is a good ride, and Cedar Point hasn't disappointed yet (minus Disaster Transport).

Dive coasters provide a unique enough total ride experience to make those vertical drops on the parks Intamin's irrelevant. Whatever it is, people will complain, yet it will still draw both GP and enthusiasts to the park and everyone will enjoy it. A good ride is a good ride, and Cedar Point hasn't disappointed yet (minus Disaster Transport).

Well... and maybe Mean Streak too.

I do agree with you on the Dive Coasters providing an unique TOTAL ride experience. Finally someone who gets it!!

There are plenty of other ride types that would round out the collection of rides better - woodie, spinning, RMC, flyer, etc.

And I would take a dive machine over any of those with the exception of you know what.

You can look at it this way - a dive coaster at Cedar Point would only be the third of its kind in the U.S. and the only one in the northeastern part of the country. That alone is a big selling point.

Thank you. I came here to say this too.

Wether or not you like it, it didn't replace a coaster / major ride. You still have a great cataloge of coasters not even associated with this ride.

So, thinking about this B&M Dive Coaster.

Do we think MAYBE.... just MAYBE... We could see Cedar Point getting a Dive Coaster with a beyond vertical drop? Not a way beyond vertical drop, but just maybe 95-98 degrees. That way when you come over the top you really see nothing below you? Then they could market it as the world's tallest beyond vertical drop?? #JustAThought

There's something about the dive coasters that they cant have true vertical drops; they're more like high-80 degrees. Its to keep the running wheels in contact with the track during the drop more but I guess it is to reduce stress at the pullout.

There's something about the dive coasters that they cant have true vertical drops; they're more like high-80 degrees.

Rcdb says that Dive Coaster at Chimelong Paradise, Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and SheiKra at Busch Gardens Tampa have 90 degree drops, but doesn't have an angle for a mojority of the other coasters.

You do know that there is more to the coaster than the first drop right?? Because yes, the first drop is a "lack of force" because you are experiencing weightlessness, but from the weightlessness you go straight into 4 positive g's. I mean... am I the only one here who is thinking that 4 positive g's is not exactly force-less???

I don't think the g's at the bottom of Sheikra's drops are sustained very long, and I don't recall any of the turns on Sheikra being intense by any means. The turnaround before the splashdown is slooow and the Immelman on Sheikra is also pretty weak. Either you're taking the term force-less too literally or you're not looking at the ride as a whole.

Then again, Sheikra's drops are insane and essentially make the coaster land safely in my top 10. It beats any coaster's drop I've experienced at Cedar Point (haven't ridden Dragster). I don't care if it's super intense - any Dive Machine is something to get very excited about.

There's something about the dive coasters that they cant have true vertical drops; they're more like high-80 degrees. Its to keep the running wheels in contact with the track during the drop more but I guess it is to reduce stress at the pullout.

Dive Coasters do have a 90 degree drop. It is the second drop (the drop right after the MCBR) on the Dive coaster that is not a full 90 degrees.

I'll keep my thoughts on this whole dive machine speculation simple.

I've been on SheiKra. SheiKra is awesome. If Cedar Point gets a dive machine, I know it'll be awesome, too.

That is all.

This, but replace SheiKra with Griffon

Don't read too much into it! My father is an FDNY chief, there are constantly threats on every landmark in New York City almost every day of the year. Although there's always a chance of a Lonewolf terrorist, an attack on a theme park in t don't read too much into it! My father is an FDNY chief, there are constantly threats on every landmark in New York City almost every day of the year. Although there's always a chance of a Lonewolf terrorist, the middle of the country is very small...

Sometimes I read these things and think it's someone trying to keep the park quiet for their own enjoyment...

This was true with Oblivion, and Diving Machine G5. SheiKra managed to get it right with a true 90° drop. And I assume every Dive Coaster following has a true 90° drop as well.

Well, Cedar Point fanboys (and girls), you might as well give up your 2016 coaster hopes, because it looks like the entire Cedar Fair budget for the next twenty years is going to Kings Dominion:

In 2016, Kings Dominion is excited to bring the world's best ride selection to an amusement park ever.

This $240 million complete revamp of the Old Virginia section of the park will see the removal of every ride in Old Virginia and a handful of new coaster additions:

1. We will relocate Fury 325 and the Intimidator roller coasters from Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte to Kings Dominion and sell the remainder of that park, as well as Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Michigan's Adventure, and California's Great America to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to finance the new additions.

2. We will add the world's tallest fastest, and longest roller coaster "Centurion", an Intamin Stratacoaster with a maximum speed of Mach 1.5 and a height of 10,000 feet, as well as ninety-two inversions and an Immelmann loop spanning the length of Virginia Beach with a complete-stop MCBR and open-concept restroom area high above Williamsburg so that riders can literally sh!t on Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

3. We will partner with Rocky Mountain Construction and combine the old wooden coasters Hurler and Grizzly to make the world's longest, tallest, and fastest hybrid coaster with a height of 250 feet, top speed of 80 MPH, and fifteen inversions, named the I-BOX Mike Myers Meets GrizzlyCoaster.

4. We will partner with Bolliger & Mabillard to create the world's first dueling launched wing coaster, which will feature seven inversions per track and will replace the Shockwave and Blue Ridge Tollway, with a top speed of 67 MPH.

5. We will convert the old Action Theater into a Triotech with two vertical drop tracks and a surprise inversion, because **** Verbolten.

"1. We will relocate Fury 325 and the Intimidator roller coasters from Carowinds amusement park in Charlotte to Kings Dominion and sell the remainder of that park, as well as Worlds of Fun, Dorney Park, Michigan's Adventure, and California's Great America to Six Flags Entertainment Corporation to finance the new additions."

"complete-stop MCBR and open-concept restroom area high above Williamsburg so that riders can literally sh!t on Busch Gardens Williamsburg."

"because **** Verbolten"

Bwahahahaha!