TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

The first thing I will always give kudos to at CP is the fact they run the rides in rain. Thursday morning was practically a downpour at 8:30 am, but I got back to back rides on Gatekeeper, and 3 MF rides in an hour! I had a rain poncho that didn't make it through those last few MF rides...but I didn't care

This is great to hear! Perhaps I'm mistaken, but didn't CP previously have an excessively strict rain policy? I think they used to shut pretty much everything down.

Glad to hear they've loosened up on the policy. It makes it less of a gamble for non-passholders.

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

OK these are freaking cool. https://cedarpointonlineshop.com/

Made it out to Cedar Point this past weekend, October 17th-18th with my mom and dad to visit my sister working at the park. My sister works at Dorney, but since they closed early, a bunch of full time

Posted Images

I was there today as well and will confirm a few things previously posted:

- No visible ground work in the cleared areas yet

- Yellow train is back on Millennium, though it's sitting on the back storage track

- Wicked Twister was indeed testing

- Gemini was racing and racing well, they had it timed pretty well to be neck-n-neck

- Panda Express is now on the dining plan

- Skyhawk had a couple of cherry pickers working on what looked like the top arch, it was closed all day

- All three water rides looked closed

- I am very pleased with the way Rougouru turned out, I rode it 4 times.... that's more in one day than I have ridden it as Mantis in 5 or 6 years combined.

- Ate at pinks for the first time, pretty good, I had the Chicago Dog. Any better suggestions?

The rain policy is harsher on certain rides than others. Dragster won't run with a single drop, and Magnum (which is what had the accident in the rain) also shuts down fairly quickly in the rain. Most of the other rides though still operate unless it's a heavy downpour. Raptor and Iron Dragon can also be iffy in the rain but that's because you're below the track.

I know, at least last year, Magnum closes after the first drop falls. They are very careful with the ride after the accident. If it rains all day, they will operate the ride with 1 train. If it rains on and off, they will just close and open it with the weather.

Can't blame them on that one though.

I know that they replaced the entire control system on Magnum last season, but I don't know if that is still effected by the rain or not.

I'm sad to see the popularity of Magnum wane so much

- two trains yesterday

- removal of the very far back queue

- less park merchandise with Magnum on it

- even missing on some of the "fearsome five" t-shirts, replaced with Rougorou

Kings island has been printing some retro ride t-shirts, would love to see the Point do that with some of their old and past rides.

At Pinks I really enjoyed their burgers. this thing though was awesome it's called the Monster Dog.

dymyty3a.thumb.jpg.207ecc1d0d40b4be84851ceb9fbd8afd.jpg

Monster Dog

Yes, Wicked Twister was testing. I heard from an unofficial source that it could be a week, because the state hasn't done it's annual inspection yet. Not really sure of the accuracy of that, but just wanted to share what I heard.

It's plausible but I hope it's not true. You would think they'd do anything in their power to get it open by Memorial Day weekend but then again it's very likely out of their hands at this point.

I know, at least last year, Magnum closes after the first drop falls. They are very careful with the ride after the accident. If it rains all day, they will operate the ride with 1 train. If it rains on and off, they will just close and open it with the weather.

Can't blame them on that one though.

Wouldn't blame them at all because of that, but Thursday when it was raining pretty good; the park had everything open but Dragster of course. It wasn't just a light rain at times either, I got beat up on one of my Gatekeeper rides as the rain picked up during the chain lift. Raptor never shut down either, so they were really loose with the policy.

I was happy because here at my local park SFoT...2 weeks ago they shut the rides down because of "inclement weather"...what it really was; there was storm system about 15 miles away that was going to miss the park; it was still SUNNY and they closed EVERYTHING because of the "threat" of lightning. I couldn't believe it; so with the way CP handled the rain on Thursday until it stopped around noon was astounding in my books.

I know that they replaced the entire control system on Magnum last season, but I don't know if that is still effected by the rain or not.

I'm sad to see the popularity of Magnum wane so much

- two trains yesterday

- removal of the very far back queue

- less park merchandise with Magnum on it

- even missing on some of the "fearsome five" t-shirts, replaced with Rougorou

Maybe it was just having a bad day, not being a local obviously it's hard for me to judge. But, compared to my visit last year; the ride ran horrible for the one ride I took Thursday. it just wasn't very bearable even before the finish when you know you're going to be thigh crunched. I wasn't the only one, many people who lined up behind me waiting for Dragster to open after the rain were saying the same thing that it's getting worse.

So not to change the subject, what's the deal with the bugs @ CP? Are they really that bad? And is it this early in the season?

I keep reading about these muffleheads, and have read some horror stories (eating bugs on coasters, etc). Is it true they usually start and are really bad this time of year? Or more in June? Bad at night only? Back of park more or less? I can deal but the other half has some bug issues, lol. Just curious...

Stoked to hear Wicked Twister is testing! We'll be there in 5 days...

So not to change the subject, what's the deal with the bugs @ CP? Are they really that bad? And is it this early in the season?

The bugs are legendary at Cedar Point. I remember last year they covered the car to the point where you couldn't even tell what color the roof was supposed to be. lol

It's weird though, they don't really bother you much on the midways. They stay up in the lights and you only notice them when you're riding the coasters at night and it feels like you're riding coasters in the rain. It sounds gross but it's not as bad as it sounds.

By the way, weather permitting (looks good now but we never pull the trigger on this park until last minute because of their insane rain and wind policies) we're going this weekend too. Maybe we'll run into eachother.

I had the pleasure of visiting the park this weekend for the first time since 2007! Drove from PA Friday morning and stayed on-site at lighthouse point and left Sunday morning. It was unique seeing the park from a resort stand point as my last visit we stayed in a dumpy hotel for a few days. Not going to go into details, but I was pleasantly surprised by Gatekeeper after reading all of the mixed reviews on it. Rode it first thing Friday night when we arrived in the back left seat. It was my first wing rider and a lot of fun.

The park has changed for the better since I was there and Maverick is still my favorite. There were a lot of breakdowns through out the weekend, TTD up and down both days for rain and other issues (we were lucky to wait 10 minutes for a ride after a quick rain delay), Maverick down most of Friday night, Skyhawk had a cherry picker and maintainance on it all weekend, Magnum stuck on lift Saturday, Blue Streak Stuck on lift for 15 mins when we got in line, and so on. Still had a great time.

Wicked Twister was testing while we were in line for Windseeker. Also met a really nice group of people from Nashville who were talking to us about Dollywood and Holiday World while in line as well. If you are reading HI! On another note after my visit to Canada's Wonderland last year I have been terrified of Windseekers for some unknown reason. After riding the CP version I wasn't as terrified, but I think the full ride and the gorgeous view may have had something to do with that. I'll see if I can suck up the courage to ride New England Sky Screamer in July.....

Only places I ever had issues with bugs was when I was in line for Magnum once and Mean streak once. Luckily they only had 2-3 train waits. Usually the bugs are never an issue. Seagulls on the other hand....

By the way, weather permitting (looks good now but we never pull the trigger on this park until last minute because of their insane rain and wind policies) we're going this weekend too. Maybe we'll run into eachother.

Awesome, check your messages.

The Bug i bet are starting to get bad for the next few weeks, mid june is when they get really bad. You will only see them around the lights On rides at night you may hit them. Can't tell you how many times i have seem people in the bathroom by MF cleaning there face off after a front row ride. If your not in the front you should be ok just keep your mouth shut. You may get a few on your arm or shirt but not anything to kill your mod.

Some woman was freaking out on Iron Dragon Saturday night, she couldn't wait to get off after she encountered some bugs and she did the dance on the platform like she was trying to shake off millions of them...it was pretty funny, even the ride ops couldn't help but laugh a bit.

I encountered a few on Millennium Force once it got dark and cooled off, granted this was a ride right at the stroke of midnight, but the bugs were making their appearance. I won't forget last year in September when I made my first visit to CP. My first rides on everything had to be the front...I got a good bugging on TTD

I'm not sure why, but Cedar Point seems to be plagued with ride issues today. Raptor was down until around noon, Wicked Twister is still testing, Top Thrill Dragster has sent 3 trains all day so far, Rougarou broke down while I was waiting in line two separate times and is currently not running, Gemeni is running only the red side though both sides were racing yesterday, Millenium Force was down for a bit, and Windseeker also closed after being open for a while. I missed Kingda Ka at SFGAdv last year due to Zumanjaro construction so I really hope TTD opens today.

I'm looking for advice from some of our larger members. One of my friends wants to hit Cedar Point next week but he is on the larger side. I know Millennium and Dragster are out of the question but any advice on what he might fit on? He managed to fit on everything at Universal last week if that helps.

I was at the park this weekend as well. A few highlights:

-Rain on Friday night right after close was kind of crazy. Driving across the causeway became quite interesting.

-Saturday morning's drizzle caused a bunch of issues, but everything was good about 1:00.

-I was incredibly impressed by Rougarou. I couldn't believe how much of a difference the new trains made. It was amazing!

-Mean Streak was riding smoother than I've ever seen it. I rode in the front seat, and it didn't hurt at all. There were even a few great airtime moments!

Now for the inevitable. As some on this board know, I have NEVER been a fan of Maverick. I've rode it in practically every row on every visit since it opened. Ever since I rode I-305, I wanted to see Maverick get those new restraints, and I was SO excited to try it out this weekend. I am sorry to tell you all that I am still not a fan of this ride. I will admit, the ride is better to me now, but I still can't enjoy those crazy turns that everyone seems to love. I was particularly not a fan of having my neck SLAMMED into the restraint during the turn after the second launch. I might ride it once if someone I'm at the park with wants to ride, but I've officially given up trying to like Maverick.

I'm not sure why

Allow me to speculate as to why

Raptor was down until around noon

Strange, but it's open now so I'm glad they got it fixed.

Wicked Twister is still testing

It's probably not approved by the state yet as it has not yet opened for the season.

Top Thrill Dragster

... say no more. It's Dragster, what did you expect? lol

Rougarou broke down while I was waiting in line two separate times and is currently not running

It's new, it has all news sensors and a new mechanism so that's to be expected.

Gemeni is running only the red side though both sides were racing yesterday

Staffing, yesterday was a weekend. Today is a weekday before the start of summer.

Millenium Force was down for a bit

It drizzled for a bit. I'm going to go with that, and no it doesn't actually have to be raining for Cedar Point to randomly close things... it just has to kind of sort of maybe look like it might rain or someone might have said the word "rain" too loudly.

Windseeker also closed after being open for a while.

Be careful what you seek, you might find it... it's probably down for winds. Sky Ride is down on webcams. Once it gets over 15 MPH with gusts around 20 Cedar Point's operations team crawls into the fetal position and panics because when building a brand new ride a few years ago they couldn't have possibly anticipated mild winds when building a ride on the beach on a peninsula in one of the largest lakes in America.

Edited by coasterbill
I'm looking for advice from some of our larger members. One of my friends wants to hit Cedar Point next week but he is on the larger side. I know Millennium and Dragster are out of the question but any advice on what he might fit on? He managed to fit on everything at Universal last week if that helps.

Coasterwise that's probably it, new restraints on Maverick so we don't know for sure but the OTSR's are usually more forgiving. Maybe Wicked Twister? Just have them try the test seats and if they're close and won't be embarrassed they can try the real ride as they can be a bit different. They may have some issues on the flat rides like MaxAir.

When i visited Cedar Point last season i was 260 at 5'11 and a 40 inch waist. I fit on everything except Wicked Twister.

Wicked Twister and Drop Tower at Kings Island were the only rides i did not fit. I visited four different parks.

When i visited Cedar Point last season i was 260 at 5'11 and a 40 inch waist. I fit on everything except Wicked Twister.

Wicked Twister and Drop Tower at Kings Island were the only rides i did not fit. I visited four different parks.

Ditto. I think Wicked Twister is the least forgiving roller coaster there. I was the same dimensions as above when I went in 2013 and fit on everything comfortably except Wicked Twister. It wasn't even close - I pulled down the restraint and basically was like "Yea, looks like this'll be a big bag of nope for me".

Went to the Point today for the first time in a couple of years.

Rougarou is now in my top 5 coasters at Cedar Point. It was an absolute blast! It's really amazing the difference the floorless trains make for the ride. I rode in the front row, then the back row. My head hit the restraint just one time on my first ride, and not at all the second time. If you know the layout well, you can avoid head banging by leaning into all the snappy turns like Maverick.