TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Probably because of this...

http://www.cedarpoint.com/gatekeeper/the-ride

Features:

Wing Over Drop – once riders crest the top of the lift hill, the coaster train will rotate 180 degrees to the right, turning riders upside down before plummeting toward the ground at speeds of more than 65 mph!

Immelmann – a maneuver where riders enter a half loop, go through a half twist and curve out in the opposite direction from which they came.

Camelback – riders will fly over a giant, 105-foot-tall camelback hill that will be filled with “airtime!”

Giant Flat Spin – a hair-raising 360-degree flip that will provide two different ride experiences for guests on each side of the train.

Zero-G-Roll – a flying element that takes riders through two support towers that will dominate Cedar Point’s new Main Entrance.

Inclined Dive Loop – a tight, 180-degree turnaround pushes riders through an overbanked turn and rockets them back towards the station.

360° In-Line-Roll – an element that will take riders extremely close to the new massive support towers while flying over guests entering the park below.

Camelback Drop – a quick drop that will help propel the train and its guests through the rides final thrilling element, the spiral.

Spiral – GateKeeper’s track rotates a wicked 360 degrees before bringing the coasters train back to the ride station.

^How come this is in RCDB as an "In-Line Twist"?

It's because it's an inline twist, not a zero-g roll. A zero-g roll is in the shape of a parabolic zero-g hill where the track just twists around the heartline over the hill. An inline twist is flatter and usually has some negative forces involved. A good example is like the one on the end of Blue Fire.

It's so interesting to see all the Gatekeeper construction photos and watch that giant crane move around! Obviously it's meant to do that, but it sure is cool to see that massive thing move! And the wideshot cam of the entrance called "Gatekeeper Construction Cam" on CP's website is really neat! This ride is gorgeous!

^Roller coasters in general can be built pretty quickly, especially steel coasters. The process is pretty simple. Pour footers, hoist supports, bolt them to the footers, hoist track pieces, bolt them together. Like a giant puzzle. It's a rather efficient system. Someone should tell SFMM that.

GateKeeper's looking great! I will definitely be there this summer to check it out!

Had nothing to do today so I headed out to Sandusky to see the ride in person even though it was from Shoreline Park near Battery Park Marina (awesome view of Millennium Force from there). Didn't take my camera as I didn't think I could get a good enough zoom on Gatekeeper but from a general view of the park from that vantage point, it's quite a skyline changer and the blue looks awesome. GK's lift makes Raptor's seem so small. Maybe it's just me but the presence of the ride seems to somewhat "complete" the skyline.

Actually it was great to see coasters since winter just seems to drag on around here.

Also, while driving along Route 6 in front of Sandusky Airport it looks quite odd not seeing Space Spiral standing there. Though we've all seen plenty of photos of CP since the ride came down to see it gone in person was still a bit odd as it was always the first thing I looked for when heading out to the park.

This is the most minor nitpick in the world, but I wish the corkscrew and the inline twist looked more symmetrical to each other.

I do agree that part looks kinda weird, but overall it's still a beautiful ride!

Or, you take the "modern art" approach and voila it's beautiful again.

(No I don't mind. IMO it's gorgeous either way.)

That actually looks concept-ish, and I know the scale on it is absolutely terrible, but then again I've seen worse. Ever seen Curtis D. Summer's "concept art?" No dimension at all! I think the scribble on the right side is a signature, but can't read it at all due to the poor quality.

As I never seen it before, I'm gonna say its fan made, and would have been quite impractical, mainly how much Top Thrill cost with what's just standing right now. But then again, there's no 270 degree twist on the way down, so this could very well be early concept art.

Saw this posted somewhere, and I remember seeing this from years ago, but I don't remember what this is. Is it some "fan" version of TTD or what this actually considered at some point?

I don't know where it's from, but i'd love it if they added it to the existing ride!