TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

^The bracing on Wicked Twister wasn't necessary to stay operational. Possessed at Dorney still doesn't have the bracing. I was under the impression that it was mostly for aesthetics so people aren't freaking out standing under the tower swaying back and forth by multiple feet. Definitely nothing hazardous. I mean, how would b&m even begin to design something like wicked twister?

I know Rougarou had tons of issues with the train rolling out of the station and stopping before reaching the lift, and restraints not opening, and a bunch of other things that caused a lot of maintenance and downtime throughout the year. I know at one point in the season it was faulting every couple of cycles because of issues with the sensors. This is according to an employee who works the ride. There aren't many complex things that COULD go wrong, and they still did. Whereas intamins at least have the excuse of being complex engineering.

Edited by CPmillenia94

RE: wind - usually if Raptor is down due to weather, I see MF and Magnum down too. A couple years ago around opening day, the weather was atrocious on that Sunday and practically everything was valleying and no coasters ran. It took until around 12 noon for the park to remember that Wicked Twister's raison d'etre was to valley, and that was the first coaster up. Both WT and Maverick often do run in less fantastic conditions among the big rides because they have launches that help push the trains through windy conditions. Everything else though....well, that's why if the forecast looks even so-so, I think about finding something else to do other than go to the Point.

From what I can tell, it seems like the first group to close in wind is Raptor, Gatekeeper and Dragster (well no, the first group is Windseeker and Sky Ride but out of the coasters it's these three). They generally always close together. I've heard that if the wind isn't blowing from the bay it's not as big of an issue because Raptor's problem is heading into the mid course and Dragster's problem is obviously clearing the top hat, both of which face the bay but the wind always seems to be coming off the bay so I don't know if this is true). After that the weather would have to be horrendous to close anything else but of course as you said it happens. At least with the wind policy it's semi-consistent but I do wonder if it's a little overly cautious. There are plenty of times where Gatekeeper completely hauls through the dive loop turnaround and keyholes and then shuts down due to wind. Raptor is tougher because it always goes pretty slow into the mid course... with Dragster I don't get why they keep launching until it rolls back but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

The rain policy on the other hand is ridiculously inconsistent and ridiculous. The only consistency there is that Dragster won't run. Millennium Force, Corkscrew and Maverick usually run but not always, everything else is a crap shoot... the rain policy is a complete mess.

^ Hard to market a 105 foot tall GCI when you have the coasters Cedar Point has.

^^ You see things through an Intamin tilted lens, my friend.

^^^ Those seem to be the only elements they put on Dive Coasters, for the most part. Just glad Cedar Point is getting a coaster with more of those elements than any other of it's type. It will be interesting to read the reviews, I expect them to be mostly positive with a slightly mixed reaction.

What? I'm a huge B&M fan. It's just that a dive coaster feels redundant with Gatekeeper and Rougarou nearby.

RE: wind - usually if Raptor is down due to weather, I see MF and Magnum down too. A couple years ago around opening day, the weather was atrocious on that Sunday and practically everything was valleying and no coasters ran. It took until around 12 noon for the park to remember that Wicked Twister's raison d'etre was to valley, and that was the first coaster up. Both WT and Maverick often do run in less fantastic conditions among the big rides because they have launches that help push the trains through windy conditions. Everything else though....well, that's why if the forecast looks even so-so, I think about finding something else to do other than go to the Point.

From what I can tell, it seems like the first group to close in wind is Raptor, Gatekeeper and Dragster (well no, the first group is Windseeker and Sky Ride but out of the coasters it's these three). They generally always close together. I've heard that if the wind isn't blowing from the bay it's not as big of an issue because Raptor's problem is heading into the mid course and Dragster's problem is obviously clearing the top hat, both of which face the bay but the wind always seems to be coming off the bay so I don't know if this is true). After that the weather would have to be horrendous to close anything else but of course as you said it happens. At least with the wind policy it's semi-consistent but I do wonder if it's a little overly cautious. There are plenty of times where Gatekeeper completely hauls through the dive loop turnaround and keyholes and then shuts down due to wind. Raptor is tougher because it always goes pretty slow into the mid course... with Dragster I don't get why they keep launching until it rolls back but I'm sure there's a reason for it.

The rain policy on the other hand is ridiculously inconsistent and ridiculous. The only consistency there is that Dragster won't run. Millennium Force, Corkscrew and Maverick usually run but not always, everything else is a crap shoot... the rain policy is a complete mess.

Due to the jet stream 95% of the time weather and wind is from the west. So yea, any rides that have slow speed elements that face the west would be most susceptible to wind.

I would imagine that this would include Valravn in the future, sadly.

^ Hard to market a 105 foot tall GCI when you have the coasters Cedar Point has.

^^^ Those seem to be the only elements they put on Dive Coasters, for the most part. Just glad Cedar Point is getting a coaster with more of those elements than any other of it's type. It will be interesting to read the reviews, I expect them to be mostly positive with a slightly mixed reaction.

What? I'm a huge B&M fan. It's just that a dive coaster feels redundant with Gatekeeper and Rougarou nearby.

Sheikra and Griffon are far different experiences from a wing coaster like Gatekeeper. Rougarou is simply a floorless coaster that is also nothing like a dive coaster. I'm failing to see how a Dive Coaster is redundant.

Edit: Sorry, I did find one similarity. Both of the riders' feet dangle. Might as well throw in Raptor too

As long as we're simplifying, why even build another coaster? They have so many options already that adding another coaster will just be more of the same.

Really, the dive coaster concept has been locked down by Busch parks with an exclusivity deal, and Cedar Fair jumped on the opportunity to bring one in. The two in the US are extremely well received, with very minimal layouts. Any complaints about "lack" of anything on this ride is only because of the "excess" of everything the park already has.

As for the rest of the park, I think more interactive rides and/or water rides would do well at the park. I couldn't believe the number of people that enjoyed the "River Battle" ride at Dollywood on days when everything was a walk-on.

Obviously my experience at CP is more limited because of where I live. I've made 2 trips in the last year and both times at some point we had rain or some bad weather.

Both trips when it rained, nothing stopped but Dragster. It wasn't a sprinkle either both times. When I went in May this year; it was raining decent enough that you'd be soaked if you stood in it too long. Gatekeeper was going when we walked in the entrance and we rode twice, we were soaked after that...but it was running. Millennium Force was also going and we rode that until our poncho's tore from the speed lol. Shortly after rope drop, everything else opened even though it was all soaked at this point. So my impressions of CP and Cedar Fair is that their rain policy is MUCH better than Six Flags.

I live here by SFOT and the rain policy is simple...if there's ANYTHING within 15 miles of the park...EVERYTHING stops...you know how depressing it is standing in sunshine looking at Texas Giant and being told closed "due to weather"?

Sheikra and Griffon are far different experiences from a wing coaster like Gatekeeper. Rougarou is simply a floorless coaster that is also nothing like a dive coaster. I'm failing to see how a Dive Coaster is redundant.

Edit: Sorry, I did find one similarity. Both of the riders' feet dangle. Might as well throw in Raptor too

To add to the dangling feet...Corkscrew, Gemini, Iron Dragon, TTD, MF, Maverick, MS, BS, Magnum, Wilderness Run, Woodstock Express are all redundant as well! They need to remove them all except for one. How dare a park have more than one coaster that you sit down on and have a floor beneath you...

But seriously, the dive machine looks awesome. I've never been on one and I'm really looking forward to riding this next year. I do agree that maybe a dark ride is much more of a need right now instead of a coaster, but who cares, they'll get one eventually.

. . . I would assume as a park owner, your going to want a thrilling AND reliable ride for your money. . .

Maybe that's why the are building a B&M Dive Machine. It's both thrilling AND reliable. . .

It's so crazy to think that the people in charge of deciding what kind of new attraction the park gets... ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

. . . I would assume as a park owner, your going to want a thrilling AND reliable ride for your money. . .

Maybe that's why the are building a B&M Dive Machine. It's both thrilling AND reliable. . .

It's so crazy to think that the people in charge of deciding what kind of new attraction the park gets... ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

While I agree with your point, that last point depends; sometimes parks get more than they bargain for, for better or worse. Either you get hit a home run right out of the gate like MF, or you get major issues that need to be worked out, like Maverick's heartline roll that never was.

Hey guys, I just wanted to show you a custom nanocoaster I made for maverick! I know it's not perfect, but its still not done! I have to cut the base and possibly paint it as well as touching up the metal portions!

Let me know what you think!

IMG_20150927_104640.thumb.jpg.2bf5bb8885eef0adb438bc488cd0363f.jpg

IMG_20150927_104653.thumb.jpg.3f701a905b3131053de7da70bc8d99eb.jpg

IMG_20150927_104917.thumb.jpg.235adea649ad2e9e854004f19ae7502a.jpg

IMG_20150927_104934.thumb.jpg.9f8a8f6627a857a165ef6e90c214e7ae.jpg