TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

3. What happened to the intamin inverts, was something recalled because last time I checked Volcano was still running and so where the V2's at Six Flags.

4. Do Mavericks new restraints stop you from getting airtime? The old ones didnt bother me.

I'm also curious about the intamin inverts. The discussion is around problems with Possessed at Dorney so maybe a quick internet search will clear that up.

I know V2 at SFGAm is down too right now. Not sure about the California one though.

Um, I rode v2 yesterday with no issue... Might want to check your sources...

Interesting they went with fiberglass on MF. I'm not an expert and wont pretend to be, but typically fiberglass is heavier which can provide a smoother ride, also probably give MF a bit more giddy-up. Aluminium can take more punishment, but is more difficult to maintain, fiberglass is more flexible, but it's also a bit more expensive. So it seems like it's an investment into MF that could make a small difference in the ride experience in a positive direction.

Hey gang! Back again!

Outside of coasters (obviously) and most of the other big rides, are there are things that are can't miss opportunities? (an obscure small ride, or an especially tasty snack unique to the park?)

TIA

I'm not a fish fan myself but my wife is she noticed perch sandwiches. We also made a point of riding Cedar Downs Racing Derby. We had done the one at Rye Playland and Blackpool so got the set. I believe only 3 in the world!

Not been since 2001 looking forward to May 23rd!

Stu K

Hey gang! Back again!

Outside of coasters (obviously) and most of the other big rides, are there are things that are can't miss opportunities? (an obscure small ride, or an especially tasty snack unique to the park?)

TIA

Have you been to Cedar Point before? I ask because it's in your signature and your answer could help me give you a better answer. For now, I'll answer as if you haven't been to the park. Since you narrowed down the rides so much only a few things come to mind. The only ride that I would consider a can't miss opportunity is the Cedar Downs because it's one of two racing carousels in the U.S. I'm not a big fan of carousels, but Cedar Downs is pretty fun.

If you like to take pictures and or video then here are some can't miss picture opportunities. Rides I recommend are Sky Ride, Giant Wheel and the Cedar Point and Lake Erie Railroad. A non ride activity is a walk on lakefront path from Wicked Twister to Magnum. People get so occupied by everything inside Cedar Point that they forget about the lakefront. You will get some great views and it's a nice way to break up your day.

Have you been to Cedar Point before? I ask because it's in your signature and your answer could help me give you a better answer. For now, I'll answer as if you haven't been to the park.

Lol I was updating my siggy for the first time in years earlier tonight and figured I may as well put CP in since I'll be there in a week, and likely won't update my profile for ages again.

Today is guaranteed to be a complete sh*t show at the park thanks to the wind forecast. It's better if we just accept this now instead of being surprised by it later on when the trip reports bashing the park start showing up around the internet.

Hey gang! Back again!

TIA

As others have said, Cedar Downs.

I also never go without riding the skyride and Troika

dippindotsguy8 is right... you should ride the Sky Ride. Not riding the Sky Ride is bad, and that makes you a bad, bad person and you should feel bad.

Also, ride the train from the station near Mean Streak so you can ride though Boneville.

Interesting they went with fiberglass on MF. I'm not an expert and wont pretend to be, but typically fiberglass is heavier which can provide a smoother ride, also probably give MF a bit more giddy-up. Aluminium can take more punishment, but is more difficult to maintain, fiberglass is more flexible, but it's also a bit more expensive. So it seems like it's an investment into MF that could make a small difference in the ride experience in a positive direction.

I remember talking to someone at Coastermania (I can't remember who) but they said that they were considering the change because of the really loud rattle it was producing. It wasn't every seat, but some seats/trains you could realllly hear it. I think they also said that this made them replace pieces of the train every once and a while to prevent this. So it might be a bigger upfront investment, but it might pay off.

For those that have been to Coastermania before, how long are the waits? I thought I saw some pages back that MF has a 10-15 minute wait. I'll be at CP for a few days before and was planning to drive to Buffalo on Friday, but maybe I'll stick around for the morning of Coastermania if I'm not too exhausted.

For those that have been to Coastermania before, how long are the waits? I thought I saw some pages back that MF has a 10-15 minute wait. I'll be at CP for a few days before and was planning to drive to Buffalo on Friday, but maybe I'll stick around for the morning of Coastermania if I'm not too exhausted.

During all of the ERT, the lines weren't bad at all. For night ERT we did 6 laps on Maverick and 7 on Mille within the 1:30 or two hours. That's pretty awesome. Morning ERT we got on everything we wanted to multiple times just by wandering around. CP does a really good job of making sure that your day is FULL of coasters. You won't be disappointed.

^That would make sense. On my last few rides on MF, the train had a really loud rattle that was borderline distracting. If the fiberglass trains don't rattle, that's a welcome change in my book.

All rattling is all gone. For the record, these aren't new trains, they're just new bodies on the existing trains.

^Really? I know an employee at CP who said the trains are completely new, despite the wheels looking worn.

By my understanding, new trains of this scale/quality run around $1 million apiece. I don't think Cedar Point invested $3 million in their most popular coaster for no ROI (besides negligibly reduced maintenance costs) without releasing any information. They announced the new Maverick vests, I think they would've announced entirely new MF trains.

Plus, besides the Mega lites, Intamin hasn't manufactured the old style hyper/giga trains in quite awhile--Goliath/Walibi in '02?

^Really? I know an employee at CP who said the trains are completely new, despite the wheels looking worn.

By my understanding, new trains of this scale/quality run around $1 million apiece. I don't think Cedar Point invested $3 million in their most popular coaster for no ROI (besides negligibly reduced maintenance costs) without releasing any information. They announced the new Maverick vests, I think they would've announced entirely new MF trains.

Plus, besides the Mega lites, Intamin hasn't manufactured the old style hyper/giga trains in quite awhile--Goliath/Walibi in '02?

Yeah I don't think that they're new trains either.

I'm flying in from Texas this weekend, I'm hoping the rain holds off Friday but scares enough people away to keep it slow. Saturday being a nice forecast with Bring-a-friend day sounds like a Fast Lane day. Hopefully they've got things worked out after a rough start to the season this past weekend. Too bad MF won't have all 3 trains I'm assuming, but, I have some of the worst ride operations imaginable here at home (SFOT) so I can handle waiting longer for better rides

The ones on Bizarro remsemble the old school hyper trains

During all of the ERT, the lines weren't bad at all. For night ERT we did 6 laps on Maverick and 7 on Mille within the 1:30 or two hours. That's pretty awesome. Morning ERT we got on everything we wanted to multiple times just by wandering around. CP does a really good job of making sure that your day is FULL of coasters. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the info! I already registered for it anyway. It's just a matter of whether or not I feel I can get up that early after my already full week of Holiday World, King's Island, and Cedar Point. Definitely sounds like it's worth it if I'm feeling up to it.

Good to know! I'll be getting out to Coastermania as well and already have a plan to maximize the ERT. I'm excited for this because much as I love CP I hated that I needed 2 days there (never could bring myself to get a fast pass) so I think I'd be able to ride everything within one day, courtesy of the ERT.