TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

In line for GK. The ride is coming back from a vomit incident. I rode MF twice, but before MF, I was waiting and heard a series of bangs while Iron Dragon was slowly going around a curve. A similar set of bangs followed. From MF, I saw ID valleyed before lift 2. It was valleyed at the end of last season too, possibly due to winds. But could ID have an issue?

In line for GK. The ride is coming back from a vomit incident. I rode MF twice, but before MF, I was waiting and heard a series of bangs while Iron Dragon was slowly going around a curve. A similar set of bangs followed. From MF, I saw ID valleyed before lift 2. It was valleyed at the end of last season too, possibly due to winds. But could ID have an issue?

Uh-oh, could that valleying of Iron Dragon towards the end of last season mean the "death growl" for Iron Dragon after this season?

Home from a great day at CP which started at 4am. Weather was perfect, an all around great day.

I think CP was a fine host and offered complimentary breakfast and lunch as well as other swag.

Gatekeeper is a fun ride and a fine addition to the park. Went keyholing 12 times today.

Uh-oh, could that valleying of Iron Dragon towards the end of last season mean the "death growl" for Iron Dragon after this season?

Was it after or before the pre-lift brakes? I have to assume after it, because the prelude to that section is downhill.

Was it after or before the pre-lift brakes? I have to assume after it, because the prelude to that section is downhill.

Before, like last year. And didn't it somehow valley at the end the same day last year?

Look at the bright side. If they remove Iron Dragon, maybe it could be relocated to Darien Lake!

Look at the bright side. If they remove Iron Dragon, maybe it could be relocated to Darien Lake!

No, Darien Lake would only give it the Batman The Escape treatment.

Edited by Dinnwitted

If Cedar Point does sell Iron Dragon to Darien Lake, it would be sitting in pieces next to Six Flags Astroworld's Batman stand up coaster and the two coaster can just rust in peace together! Or Darien Lake would end up removing Grizzly Run for a Rowdy's Ridge retheme of Iron Dragon.

Edited by DarienLaker

Finally watched the whole video--great footage! "Keyholing" has officially entered the lexicon of TPR.

Nice footage and nice 80's references!

Keyholing has a different meaning for me, but I spend too much time on Urban Dictionary.

That would suck if Iron Dragon was torn down or removed - it's one of the few 'beginner' rides at CP - not too intense for those who've never ridden a roller coaster before. Also, it's one of the few Arrow Suspended coasters left. If CP were to remove a ride, it'd have to be Mean Streak.

Also, GK looks amazing! Can't wait to go keyholing!

Before, like last year. And didn't it somehow valley at the end the same day last year?

I saw it valley. Something is jacked up on the wheels on one of the cars near the front of the train that caused the wheels to bang really loud all over the track and killed the momentum going into the pre-lift breaks. The front couple of cars got to about thr breaks and then it stopped and rolled back to valley a little futher back on the track.

Looks like Iron Dragon is living up to it's true name, Dragging Iron. It's a fun entry level ride, but if it became a maintenance nightmare, something like a Cheetah Hunt or a Verbolten style coaster zipping around the terrain would be fun.

I looked up urban dictionary too for keyholing, OMG it was nasty.

Gotta say Gatekeeper looks like a lot of fun.

How do you "rescue" a train such as Iron Dragon after it valleyed?

Probably just a winch. It sounds like it happened close to the second lift so they can just pull it until it engages the chain.

Awesome video, Robb!

This coaster looks like tons of fun! Not an airtime machine by any means, but the smooth, unique elements (aka key-holing) make it a great coaster addition for the front of the park - very photogenic.

Just had an awesome morning riding Gatekeeper!

Here's my take...(Obviously, all my own opinions of course!)

The ride looks fantastic! It really makes an amazing front gate, and it fits in perfectly where they placed the ride. The entrance sign/plaza looks wonderful, and leaves little to complain about. (Other than the damn seagulls crapping all over it). The trains are beautiful as well, and as soon as they get all the lights working on them, it will look killer at night.

The public is going to LOVE it. It was definitely my favorite of the 3 U.S. wing coasters. Now with that being said, it did not crack my top ten list. Not that it is bad by any means, its really, really good in fact. I just, personally like a lot of non-loopers better.

The restraints get a little tight if you are really the type of person that looks for tiny things like that. I didn't notice it at all the first couple of rides, but after I heard a couple weirdos complaining about it, I can mildly see what they are talking about. It by no means takes away from the experience, however.

It is super quiet for a B&M. The clicking noise is quite noticeable from the train, especially the second time over the gate (when you are side keyholing). Once again, if you really let something like that take away from the experience, then you are too picky, and need a new hobby. That is really the only time you feel the ride slow down, but I think it works in the ride's favor, as it produces some nice hangtime.

The front outside seats are the place to be. The right gave me more head/hand chopping experiences, while the front left gave some good whipping feelings (especially coming off the lift and into the first dive.) So basically, win, win.

Once again, I think it was the perfect addition. It really is unique, makes the park look awesome from the entrance, technically gives the park a baddass, sitdown looper, and broke some records while they were at it. It's going to be reliable, it will have amazing throughput, and will definitely boost attendance and revenue.

Now go enjoy the rest of your day America's one and only rockin' roller coast. Ride on.

The restraints get a little tight if you are really the type of person that looks for tiny things like that. I didn't notice it at all the first couple of rides, but after I heard a couple weirdos complaining about it, I can mildly see what they are talking about. It by no means takes away from the experience, however.

Sorry I don't like the feeling of not being able to take a breath while I ride a coaster.

This is my number one complaint about the B&M Wingriders and I'm sad to see they still haven't fixed it.

^I'm sure it has to do a lot with different body sizes. For me personally, it just didn't bother me that much. The flyers (especially the Vekomas) are way tighter on me. You're also talking to someone whose favorite coaster growing up was Shockwave at SF Great America, so I can't be trusted.