TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Now I get what you mean. But ever since Geauga Lake closed into a water park, did that destroy Ohio?

Yes... Ohio is completely destroyed. Yesterday I heard they had cops directing everyone off of I-80 and onto the last exit in Pennsylvania so they didn't cross the border into the disaster area.

Now I get what you mean. But ever since Geauga Lake closed into a water park, did that destroy Ohio?

Yes... Ohio is completely destroyed. Yesterday I heard they had cops directing everyone off of I-80 and onto the last exit in Pennsylvania so they didn't cross the border into the disaster area.

No wonder there was so much traffic infront of my workplace this morning

Wow, those are really impressive! I'm also seeing attach points for the track, so this is actually going to be part of the structure vs them encasing a support column in the keyholes. Was wondering how they were going to do that.

Starting brand new amusement parks here in the US is very, very difficult, not to mention expensive. Hard Rock Park has shown this and now has some pretty awesome rides just starting to rust away. I know there's been a couple proposals to build parks up here in Michigan, but none of them have gone through the initial planning stage. Same thing could be said about a few others too. It also doesn't help that during the 70's and 80's, the industry was over-saturated too. If they pretty much didn't have a good family name and reputation or part of a chain by the 90's, it wasn't going to go anywhere. Idora, Bob-lo, and Chippewa Lake are examples of some that just couldn't make it, some blame could be put on Cedar Point too, but that's debatable. China is a good example of a boom in the amusement park industry. I've seen at least a few major parks freshly built over there with some pretty great coasters that we could only dream of having over here, and having an economy that can support them too.

HOLY CRAP! I didnt realize the towers were going to be the actual support for the track! Those asre massive!

During Talks with B&M they were talking about using regular supports and building a facade around it, which was proving challenging. At which point B&M offered to make the towers the supports.

Edited by DougMJr

Here's an interesting Gatekeeper update from Cedar Point...

Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet and VP of Planning and Design Rob Decker stopped by the steel manufacturing plant today to check on the progress of Cedar Point's new GateKeeper roller coaster. Here they are standing in one of the keyholes of the 100-foot-tall towers that will loom high above the park's redesigned main entrance with a representative from the plant.

740503_10151194183301463_1902505895_o.thumb.jpg.2085199c2f0b029c96b488c74e6fd19f.jpg

The bottom half is concrete and the top half is steel. But I would imagine in order to achieve the look Cedar Point wanted to go for, steel was the only way to go so it was able to look good and support the coaster. I'm sure it won't rust that bad. Look at all the other coaster around Cedar Point, are they badly rusted? No. And they use the same steel, I'm sure, that is going into this keyhole tower.

Even if it does start to rust, they can just repaint it.

Edited by CpBluestreakCp

It's odd that they are made out of steel however. I'd imagine that they woul rust or just not look great. I was expecting them to be concrete.

Steel doesnt rust if its painted and kept well

I too thought the keyholes would be concrete but steel works too

At first I thought the keyholes would be concrete too. After seeing steel, it makes more sense. The higher in the air concrete structures get, the more unstable it becomes. With the trains vibrations and Sandusky's weather, cracking would come sooner than later. Either way CP will make sure it is done right and I am looking forward to it. Still can't believe their last big addition was Maverick in 2007 (Shoot the Rapids doesn't count). The off season and my 9 hour drive there will be the most anxious ever!

Ride On Friends!

At first I thought the keyholes would be concrete too. After seeing steel, it makes more sense. The higher in the air concrete structures get, the more unstable it becomes. With the trains vibrations and Sandusky's weather, cracking would come sooner than later. Either way CP will make sure it is done right and I am looking forward to it. Still can't believe their last big addition was Maverick in 2007 (Shoot the Rapids doesn't count). The off season and my 9 hour drive there will be the most anxious ever!

Ride On Friends!

After dragster in 2003 ($25M), which was a disaster(financially). And then another big $21M dollar investment (Maverick), plus the state of the economy afterwards. It makes sense it took this long for their next big coaster.