TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyline Park

Looks like the vertical track has more vertical strength, supports simple weight, plus just the visual effect on & off ride.

In a sense this isn't coaster because it doesn't coast, but actually it could depending on how the drive works and is made to feel. You get an accelerator but they control the brakes

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To use everyone's favorite word, it seems a little bit wonky. I definitely see fun potential, but the acceleration and deceleration reminds me of the old Rocket Rods in how it "speeds up to a red light" so-to-speak. I wish the track design would just be fluid in the sense that you could comfortably course through the whole layout at a consistent, decent clip. It looks like something that would appear in adventure parks near alpine coasters and zip-lines. Seems more "weee!" than "WOW," but these could be a neat addition in the right setting.

I'm no electrical engineer, but here's an explainer.

This thing, called a "Spike roller coaster" is like a tracked Bobkart, or, a reverse alpine coaster, in that you are given control of the accelerator during the ride. That accelerator tells the electrics how much power to use, which makes your car go as fast as you want it to, up to a predetermined speed limit.

That speed limit can be different depending on the area of the track. You basically say "this section is only going to draw X amount of power maximum" and even if a rider is using the accelerator to go full blast, the power draw and therefore the speed is limited until they leave that section. Consider the sweeping curve after the initial "launch" section. You wouldn't want riders to go at maximum speed through that curve, so you limit that section to make sure they don't. Another thing that the system can do is safely slow down or stop a vehicle that gets too close to the one in front, again like on Bobkarts and alpine coasters, simply by cutting the power.

I definitely would consider this as competition for the Bobkart. While I'd bet that the Bobkart uses less power and is much easier to build, the Spike has the advantage of being a traditional roller coaster system - it can perform way more daring maneuvers than a Bobkart can.

Two new testing videos have been uploaded: one by the park's fan website, and an official marketing video by Maurer (which re-uses some of the same material, but with slight speed manipulations). They say in german forums that the speed control wasn't yet in use. I guess that means it was either remotely controlled by another guy, or this is the pre-programmed speed in which the car runs if you leave the speed control untouched.

I am still not quite sold with this. I mean it does look a bit fun, but the abrupt stops is what irritates me. You can't really prepare for them anyway, and the seating position/lack of harnesses seems to put a lot stress to the body during braking. I hope this is still due to this being a new project undergoing its test phase, and they get the braking smoothed until public opening. But I like the fast acceleration and funky layout!

It looks pretty interesting, and seems like it would provide a "different" experience than other coasters. Looks like it would be a good fit for smaller parks in the US. . . But I could never see a major park like Cedar Point, or Six Flags getting one of these!! Oh wait, yes. . . Yes I could see Six Flags getting one of these!! Then cloning it, and putting one in every park calling it "Mr. Freeze, Revenge of the Freeze."

Looks like it would be a good fit for smaller parks in the US. . .

I feel like that's the cop-out for every low-capacity concept. I still just don't get what they're trying to accomplish here, regardless of the size of the park. This ride is neither thrilling, nor really appropriate for younger riders, and the low capacity and probability of mechanical issues due to each car being self propelled just make this whole thing seem like a waste of time. Then again, like always it might be something you have to experience for yourself to understand. I think they're really stretching the concept by trying to double it as a "people-mover" though.

As a dueling attraction with a better layout/scenery, it could find a use at a couple of parks, but it's still a limited concept.

^^Exactly. I just don't see the market for this.

I agree that it is not a fit for any major parks, but that still leaves hundreds of parks that could be potential customers. Remember that although large parks rule the American scene, in Europe there are hundreds of smaller parks with two or fewer coasters presently. In the US, I'm talking about parks that might be the size of seaside parks or large FECs like FunPlex in Omaha where a ride like this could fit in.

Certainly a tough sell but I could see it in fitting in certain places.

Edited by larrygator

This is just a prototype but I could see this type of ride system working fairly well as a dark ride if they could increase capacity. I'm sure the thing could be programmed to be "controlled" in some areas and move at a set speed through other show scenes, might be kind of a fun twist to navigate through certain sections of an intricate dark ride at higher speeds. Also we don't really know what the capacity is but if there are 10+ vehicles on the track at once it might not be as low as you think.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

The whole point is that you can make the experience as tame or as wild as you want it to be by controlling the speed under most circumstances. While Sky Dragster's layout is certainly unusual, it's basically a Bobkart with a real track. While it probably makes much more of an environmental impact than Wiegand's offerings, a Spike Coaster can go up and down steep cliffs, or have extended lengths of elevated sections without all the supports, decking, and netting that typically come with a Bobkart.

EDIT: I just realized that they have a Bobkart too. Would be interesting to see if people prefer one over the other.

• 2 years later...
This ride's removal bodes real well for Carnival's new ship which will feature their own Maurer-Sohne spike coaster...

And the second one at Mirabilandia apparently had a lot of downtime. I never saw a single report with it running and it was closed during my visit.