TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

If Valleyfair didn't get a coaster, what do you think would work the best?

Rip down Excalibur for a parking lot and second entrance, build a couple new slide complexes and another wave pool. Boom. Best waterpark in Minnesota. Probably more ROI than a coaster in the long run.

Is it sad that Adventureland will have a new looping coaster before Valleyfair (said with appropriate snark)?

Yeah, it is really sad that Adventureland will be getting a looping coaster before every cedar fair park excluding Cedar Point and every six flags park excluding discovery kingdom(excluding super loops because you wouldn't count it if valleyfair got one), plus they will be getting one before other great parks like dollywood and holiday world. I like how Valleyfair fans complain because adventureland is getting a coaster for the 1st time since 1996 and they aren't getting one too.

Is it sad that Adventureland will have a new looping coaster before Valleyfair (said with appropriate snark)?

Yeah, it is really sad that Adventureland will be getting a looping coaster before every cedar fair park excluding Cedar Point and every six flags park excluding discovery kingdom(excluding super loops because you wouldn't count it if valleyfair got one), plus they will be getting one before other great parks like dollywood and holiday world. I like how Valleyfair fans complain because adventureland is getting a coaster for the 1st time since 1996 and they aren't getting one too.

You must be new to this thread. That's kind of their go to schtick. You're really bringing the mood down, man. Here we were having a great time getting overly hyped about nothing and you just kill it. Now what are we supposed to foam about!?! Man. So rude.

Merry Christmas! If Valleyfair were to get a Christmas gift of 12 million or less at this instant, what would you give?

I would want a premier rides launch circuit coaster like Tempesto or Superman at SF Discover Kingdom.

A nicely themed proslide water coaster and a cool flat to replace the "midway stage".

I'm planning an upper mid-west coaster trip for myself this coming summer and I was wondering when Valleyfair normally publishes their calendar for the next season. My home park (Dorney) already has theirs published and I was surprised VF doesn't.

Last season they posted the schedule in early February.

If it helps, Valleyfair is typically open daily from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day (park opens at 10 am every day), although they might be closed for a private event on the first or second Sunday of June.

Merry Christmas! If Valleyfair were to get a Christmas gift of 12 million or less at this instant, what would you give?

I would want a premier rides launch circuit coaster like Tempesto or Superman at SF Discover Kingdom.

You should also ask that question over in the Darien Lake thread.

Please don't disrupt the peace. It hasn't been this quiet on that thread in years .

You should also ask that question over in the Darien Lake thread.

I'm planning an upper mid-west coaster trip for myself this coming summer and I was wondering when Valleyfair normally publishes their calendar for the next season. My home park (Dorney) already has theirs published and I was surprised VF doesn't.

If it helps, Valleyfair is typically open daily from Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day (park opens at 10 am every day), although they might be closed for a private event on the first or second Sunday of June.

If I remember correctly, opening weekend is the 13th to 15th? Could be off by one too soon.

If I remember correctly, opening weekend is the 13th to 15th? Could be off by one too soon.

Yes, Valleyfair opens on May 13th.

I fear that if it is a B&M invert, we'll get something along the lines of Talon at DP or Patriot at WoF. They're decent rides, but pretty low on the excitement spectrum. For the same price as a Patriot or a Talon today, we could get a Scream!-sized B&M floorless, or a large custom RMC. Unless CF is willing to invest in a MAJOR B&M for VF - along the lines of Banshee at KI or GateKeeper at CP, I'd rather have a high quality cheap roller coaster than a boring expensive one.

I don't believe VF will get a large B&M in the near future, or maybe ever. That's okay. Talon and Patriot are actually seen as great rides to the GP aswell as many coaster enthusiasts and I think it would be great if VF ever got something like that. The ride itself would be fun, we would have a modern looping coaster, the GP would absolutely love it, it would bring in attendance, and it would be a great addition to the line up. You shouldn't fear that, and word on the street is that Scream is not enjoyable at all. Some of this is just my opinion, but there is a lot of truth to it.

If B&M inverts still cost 13-15 million dollars like they used to, a lot of parks would love to add one. However, nowadays with most B&Ms well over the 20 million dollar mark, it's a lot less feasible for smaller parks to afford them.

Kind of like how everyone would love a sports car like a Corvette, Ferrari, etc. But only the rich or wealthy can really afford them.

Two factors made X-Flight cheaper. It was a prototype still, as it was one of the first wing coasters installed. Also, supply and demand caused their price tag to raise. Although Thunderbird has an LSM launch, it cost a lot more than X-Flight despite similar layout specs. B&M had to raise the price so that the demand was low enough for them to produce x-amount of coasters.

I would love for VF to get something like an Invert/Wing Coaster, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

I don't believe VF will get a large B&M in the near future, or maybe ever. That's okay. Talon and Patriot are actually seen as great rides to the GP aswell as many coaster enthusiasts and I think it would be great if VF ever got something like that. The ride itself would be fun, we would have a modern looping coaster, the GP would absolutely love it, it would bring in attendance, and it would be a great addition to the line up. You shouldn't fear that, and word on the street is that Scream is not enjoyable at all. Some of this is just my opinion, but there is a lot of truth to it.

You must live on a weird street. Scream! is just a mirror image of Bizarro at SFGAd, and both are very enjoyable rides. I've been on Talon and Patriot, and while enjoyable, neither ride 'WOWed' me. At WoF, I found Mamba to be much more exciting. I miss the Orient Express. Though somewhat rough, there was more of a thrill factor (imo) with that ride than with Patriot. At Dorney, Talon's location at the front of the park makes it look more exciting than it is. It seems more forceful than Patriot, but again, that may just be perception due to its location. Hydra is a much more exciting ride (imo), though not as exciting as its predecessor, Hercules.

I worry about a mediocre coaster being added at VF because we already have several mediocre coasters. The last time that a coaster truly "WOWed" me at VF was the addition of Wild Thing in 1996. It'll be 20 years old next season; and while Steel Venom, Mad Mouse, and Renegade are fun, it would be a stretch to say they "WOWed" people. I would be shocked if CF invested in a Banshee-priced attraction at VF. Given the current costs of large B&M inverts these days, I've looked elsewhere for dreams and inspiration. I'd argue that if VF does get another epic coaster, it could end up being another 1st for CF. Wild Thing was the first Morgan coaster for CF, followed up with Steel Force ('97) and Mamba ('98). Renegade was the first GCI coaster for CF, followed up by Prowler ('09) and Gold Striker ('13). Maybe the first RMC for CF? The first Mack launch coaster? Both can be built larger and cheaper than a B&M.

Two factors made X-Flight cheaper. It was a prototype still, as it was one of the first wing coasters installed. Also, supply and demand caused their price tag to raise. Although Thunderbird has an LSM launch, it cost a lot more than X-Flight despite similar layout specs. B&M had to raise the price so that the demand was low enough for them to produce x-amount of coasters.

I would love for VF to get something like an Invert/Wing Coaster, but I'm not getting my hopes up at all.

So you think that B&M prices out coasters based on how many projects they have in a specific year, and raise prices by millions of dollars because they're having a good year? Interesting concept.

Parks could still get a Batman clone for 12 million, but no major US parks are interested in a 100ft invert because its nothing new to market. When you're installing a new coaster, it has the be the tallest or newest or most different thing than anyone had even ridden in the past, that's how to get people through the gates. Bringing in a ride from 1992 isn't exactly blowing people's minds anymore.

^So every coaster has to be ground-breakingly innovative or hold some sort of record to bring people through the gates at every park? Because if that is what you are trying to say, history begs to argue with you! If its new for the market, it will work well.

Hydra, Talon, Patriot, Silver Bullet....none of them were "record breakers" or ground-breaking, but still installed and people still ride them. And those are just a few examples. Lets not forget that a relocated Thunderhawk (a coaster built in 1998 originally) helped increase Michigan's Adventure's attendance number big time.

Coasters, as long as fun and interesting (and unique to the market) will do well for the most part. Enthusiasts may pick it a part, but the GP will still come.

So you think that B&M prices out coasters based on how many projects they have in a specific year, and raise prices by millions of dollars because they're having a good year? Interesting concept.

It's more about supply and demand. RMC has begun raising prices as well. Once a company has so many calls or requests for projects, they have no choice but raising prices to make that demand more manageable. If RMC kept rebuilding coasters for $6 million, every park would want one. By raising prices throughout the years, they have been able to get it down to a manageable 3-4 projects per year.

^Not exactly what I said, but let's take a look at some of the big US coaster installations of 2016 and their marketing gimmicks to see what pans out:

1. Mako - Tallest coaster in Florida

2. Lightning Run - World's first wooden launch coaster

3. Valravn - "Beats 11 world records!" (none which matter, but hey!)

4. Joker SFDK - billed as world's first "step up under flip inversion" I'll even admit that's a mouthful, but it's still what they're taking to market!

5. Total Mayhem -"Featuring new free-fly technology!" (This may be a good example for your argument)

6. Storm Chaser - "How many times have you fallen 10 stories while doing a barrel roll?"

Much like stand ups, inverts and floorless coasters that you mention in your comment, they were the new hotness technology during their time. They still deliver a great ride, but their gimmicks are mostly old and stale. You need something "new" to bring in the people and a Batman clone just won't cut it anymore. Heck, when Kings Island announced Banshee I was surprised to see a new invert in the US at all (and happy because those coasters rock), but you notice that they had to break a few records in order to build it.

It's more about supply and demand. RMC has begun raising prices as well. Once a company has so many calls or requests for projects, they have no choice but raising prices to make that demand more manageable. If RMC kept rebuilding coasters for $6 million, every park would want one. By raising prices throughout the years, they have been able to get it down to a manageable 3-4 projects per year.

I guess I'm just really interested to know how a few people here seem to know the pricing structures for major rides manufacturers. I understand raising prices when the technology gets better and you're now a major player in the industry (or even to cover overtime if you're stretched), but when you've got a full slate of projects for the year don't you think they might just say "Sorry, we're out of time for 2017".

I worry about a mediocre coaster being added at VF because we already have several mediocre coasters. The last time that a coaster truly "WOWed" me at VF was the addition of Wild Thing in 1996. It'll be 20 years old next season; and while Steel Venom, Mad Mouse, and Renegade are fun, it would be a stretch to say they "WOWed" people. I would be shocked if CF invested in a Banshee-priced attraction at VF. Given the current costs of large B&M inverts these days, I've looked elsewhere for dreams and inspiration. I'd argue that if VF does get another epic coaster, it could end up being another 1st for CF. Wild Thing was the first Morgan coaster for CF, followed up with Steel Force ('97) and Mamba ('98). Renegade was the first GCI coaster for CF, followed up by Prowler ('09) and Gold Striker ('13). Maybe the first RMC for CF? The first Mack launch coaster? Both can be built larger and cheaper than a B&M.

You make a good point we could be first for a new ride/manufacturer, but since CF has owned Canada's Wonderland that has been their main park to test that on, but I think what you said is still possible.

Also this isn't only my opinion but I have realized Renegade is most coaster enthusiasts' favorite ride at VF and it consistently has the longest lines (the slower operations may be a factor but still) it takes my breath away every time I ride it. I am sure it definetly

WOWed
me. Valleyfair made a good choice adding Renegade, it definetly isn't mediocre.

Also this isn't only my opinion but I have realized Renegade is most coaster enthusiasts' favorite ride at VF and it consistently has the longest lines (the slower operations may be a factor but still) it takes my breath away every time I ride it. I am sure it definetly

WOWed
me. Valleyfair made a good choice adding Renegade, it definetly isn't mediocre.

Yes, Renegade "WOWed" me when I went on it. I still think it is the best thing the park has ever done.