TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

okay, this is kinda an embarrasing thing to me, but im a little on the heavy side, so i've never "fit" on Batman or Riddlers, so im hoping that this idea of mine, thats wearing a shirt thats 3 sizes too small under my main shirt and way smaller boxers will solve the problem, lol

and i know that im gonna be hot as hell.

I was at the park yesterday for the first time since last December. I had an Xtreme Park last season and went enough times to see how horrible the park is. I went back yesterday in hopes of seeing how much has improved and how much of it is considerably notable.

Yesterday halfway into the visit, I remembered why I stopped visiting Magic Mountain.

Though all coasters were in two train operation, there was constant stacking and slow loading due to lack of efficiency of those working at the rides.

The most ridiculous thing I saw all day was the 10 (yes, I counted TEN) ride operators in Scream!'s station, more than half of which were just standing around talking to each other, laughing, cracking jokes and chewing ice chips from paper cups. Only two of the 10 were checking restraints, which resulted in a TWO train operation STACKING multiple times.

And the Flash Pass Sales Center. Four employees on duty, yet only one of the registers were being used. The other three employees just stood around pacing back and forth. I hardly think they were on their break either. A long line formed because of this and people were standing and waiting out in the hot blistering sun.

Tatsu's queue misters weren't on, despite it being over 95-degrees out. The crew was exceptionally slow. Leisurely checked restraints causing for 5 minute dispatches. Only upside? They were using both stations with two trains, but that should already be a MUST, not a high point. The third train was just sitting in the transfer shed.

Most significant changes I noticed would hardly be considered improvements, especially into the second year of new management. I did see more trash bins out, and hardly any litter on the midway. But it should have been like this YEARS ago...how much effort and management push does it take to get some more trash bins out? Not a lot. Costumed characters? Not any more than what I saw from last year. And the advertisements. Lots and lots of those. Not a change I'd categorize as a park improvement.

Oh, and they only had one parking lot tram running all day -- despite the relatively large crowds waiting in the hot sun.

My first and last visit to the park this year -- and probably next year too.

That sounds pretty awful, but it makes sense in a way. When a kid is getting paid minnimum wage you can tell him or her thousands of times to do something one way, and they'll do it another.

Does any former/current employee know if they have an incentive program of some kind? I think that would help improve operations considerably.

I was at the park yesterday for the first time since last December. I had an Xtreme Park last season and went enough times to see how horrible the park is. I went back yesterday in hopes of seeing how much has improved and how much of it is considerably notable.

Yesterday halfway into the visit, I remembered why I stopped visiting Magic Mountain.

Though all coasters were in two train operation, there was constant stacking and slow loading due to lack of efficiency of those working at the rides.

The most ridiculous thing I saw all day was the 10 (yes, I counted TEN) ride operators in Scream!'s station, more than half of which were just standing around talking to each other, laughing, cracking jokes and chewing ice chips from paper cups. Only two of the 10 were checking restraints, which resulted in a TWO train operation STACKING multiple times.

And the Flash Pass Sales Center. Four employees on duty, yet only one of the registers were being used. The other three employees just stood around pacing back and forth. I hardly think they were on their break either. A long line formed because of this and people were standing and waiting out in the hot blistering sun.

Tatsu's queue misters weren't on, despite it being over 95-degrees out. The crew was exceptionally slow. Leisurely checked restraints causing for 5 minute dispatches. Only upside? They were using both stations with two trains, but that should already be a MUST, not a high point. The third train was just sitting in the transfer shed.

Most significant changes I noticed would hardly be considered improvements, especially into the second year of new management. I did see more trash bins out, and hardly any litter on the midway. But it should have been like this YEARS ago...how much effort and management push does it take to get some more trash bins out? Not a lot. Costumed characters? Not any more than what I saw from last year. And the advertisements. Lots and lots of those. Not a change I'd categorize as a park improvement.

Oh, and they only had one parking lot tram running all day -- despite the relatively large crowds waiting in the hot sun.

My first and last visit to the park this year -- and probably next year too.

That stinks to hear the park is what I remembered. Sounds like the same problems as when I was there the last couple of times. I really wanted things to change for them. Maybe I will hold off a few more years before I return. Hopefully things will improve.

Great pics and nice update guy!

I'm not sure on Deja Vu, as I never see it in advertising or bring hyped up on their site, but I don't see any reason why they would not add it as well. Since X and Deja Vu were "technically" both announced for 2001 (even though X was delayed until 2002) they might replace one of the older coaster murals with one featuring both of them.

Screamscape just reported rumours of SFOG possibly removing their Vu, would't be surprised at all to see SFMM's sold off sometime soon too.

As far as freeing up space on the mural wall/removing another coaster, my vote goes to S:TE.

Removing Deja? Thats one of the best Vekoma's out there, why would they remove it?

Because it never seems to work.Or is this the one that does.

Magic Mountain's is the one that operates on a regular basis. The Great America one has been doing real well this season, though in the past it was rarely open at all.

Over Georgia's has yet to open for more than 7 days this season.

Hey, this is my first post on this forum and I just want to say hi to everyone. Anyways, I was at SFMM today and it was alright. Besides the fact that we got there at 3 because my friends dad came late to take us and today was pretty crowded actually for a Thursday. We still got to sit on everything besides Deja Vu and Tatsu. Goliath was extra crowded today for the whole day. We checked 4 times and we just decided to sit on it the last time. X was amazing as usual and it was the first time on the ride for my friend. It was funny because he was all scared and stuff haha. But yea, overall, it was all right. I'm going back on Tuesday and I hope I get to sit on Tatsu and X more than once. Oh and I've always wondered how much the clearance is from the seats of Goliath to the tunnel cause I always lower my hands on that part thinking I'm going to hit it. Looks awfully close lol.

I visited Magic Mountain on Monday. I actually just got back home to arizona a few hours ago. I'll have a detailed TR later, but a few points I noticed:

For a Monday, the park was pretty crowded

Scream still has odd vibrations in any seat that isn't in the front.

Viper is a LOT better without the trims.

X...OMG after the first drop, before the turn, and before the last twist (basically half of the coaster) the shaking was INSANE. I felt like I was riding a mechanical bull placed under the "extreme shaking" level. ouch. it hurt! I was suprised people used to file complains on Goliath...which I thoguh was one of the smoothest rides that day.

Starting at the beginning of this year, I started taking pictures of open gates at the park and added them to my PTR's...

I collected all of them, and put them into one gallery...

In some cases, if someone waled through the gates, they could walk right into very dangerous places... They are locked for a reason...

I find this to be a problem at the park, what do you all think?

Here is the link... http://www.infinitethrills.com/open_gates.html