TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Page 2205 - Opening Day Photo TR!

What's going on with Lex? This if from the MM website this morning... I'll be there Sunday and I need my drops! At least Goliath is open. I've missed this ride!!!

LEX LUTHOR: Drop of Doom

Temporarily Closed

Stacking on Twisted Colossus was happening late in the afternoon, so a race was impossible. At a couple points during our wait, all 3 cars were at a standstill, 2 in the brakes, waiting for the one train in the station to dispatch. Is that a 6 minute dispatch??? Later in the evening they were getting better, but I can't understand for the life of me why 1 guest standing outside the gate on the exit ramp talking to the ride operator for minutes takes priority over 500+ guests waiting to ride. Tell the guest to wait, and make sure the people on the ride are ready to go! Why do the ride operators seem so brain dead?

To be fair to the RO, could you tell whether or not the guest was complaining or just chatting? Asking a guest with a complaint to wait is guest service suicide.

"Until they start adding family rides, I will hate that place."

You have Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott's and Legoland if you want a family park or rides. We need a thrill park with big coasters.

There's nothing wrong with a park becoming more well rounded. While family rides may not be the smartest addition to the park, it would be nice to see more flat rides in the park, as most of the non-kiddie rides in the park are roller coasters.

What's going on with Lex? This if from the MM website this morning... I'll be there Sunday and I need my drops! At least Goliath is open. I've missed this ride!!!

Temporarily Closed

Maintenance?

Temporarily Closed

Maintenance?

Superman was not running when I was there today. I left at 1:30, so it could have opened later.

Nice trip report. Although I wouldn't have been excited as you about going to Magic Mountain. I hate that place. I hate how they tear down all the family flat rides and build immense coasters on top of them. I hate how they took out a historic coaster that they abused for years with taking out the camel backs and putting in a block break, added Morgan trains, never repainted it, never fixed or ran the second track, not even for it's last few years. Until they start adding family rides, I will hate that place.

Which family flats did they take out to add coasters?'

MM never really had many family flats to begin with, maybe just the Granny Gran Prix, Sierra Twist, Yosemite Sam, and Spin Out. None of which were replaced with coasters. I guess you could count the Circus Wheel/Jolly Roger where Goliath sits now as a family flat.

SFMM's problem isn't that there isn't enough kids rides. There are plenty of them. The real problem is they are all in one single area of the park.

There's literally no reason for the young kid to walk around with the bigger sibling around the park since there's nothing for the little one to ride save for maybe Gold Rusher. Ninja can work but is way up the hill and not on the way to anything. Not many families are going to want to come to SFMM if they're going to be split the entire day, or have one kid completely bored and sad for not being able to ride over & over again.

So allegedly Six Flags is looking into purchasing a new version of the Zamperla Air Race instead of more Larson Loops for 2016. That sounds a whole lot more promising than Larson Loops IMO. Hopefully MM is on the list for one...

(Rumor via Screamscape)

^ Oh, they'll find a way. They'll re-theme the planes to look like coaster cars and add a circle of track around each arm, having the cars connected to their individual loops with wheels. That way, they'll be able to market it as 6+ coasters in one!

Edit - forgot this: "World's first ever multi-track, sideways-looping, spiraling, spinning, central-hub rollercoasters!"

Edit 2 - Hey Six Flags, I'll take compensation in small, non-denominational bills. I know you psychos are using this idea.

I'm kind of surprised it's taken us this long to figure out what exactly the deal is with Lex.
I'm guessing it's just maintenance/rehab because it's on the schedule for WCB, and though I know that can change and it could be swapped out before the event, if there were some other issue going on with unknown duration, when the ERT schedule was being made they probably would have mentioned it "wouldn't be available" or "might not be available" and something else would have been in it's place.

One of the catch car hooks is broken on Lex. They are awaiting the new part before the ride is operational again.
Any idea why they can't run just the other side?

My guess is that they probably could run just one side, but that would be a capacity nightmare and the line would practically never move. Just eight riders at one time....

What is the best place to sit for Tatsu? Also, what would be tips for riding Goliath? (I’m especially nervous about the helix part of the ride.) Thanks.
Front row is always the best for Tatsu as the forces are pretty much the same for the whole train, so the view is all that matters, and it's a pretty spectacular view in the front.

There is a trick to the Goliath helix. When I rode it the first time or two my vision greyed out due to the blood rushing out of my head and I didn't find it too fun. I figured out though that if you tilt your head so that it remains perpendicular to the ground (In this case you would tilt your head towards your left shoulder) it keeps the blood from rushing out of your head and keep you from greying out if you would have otherwise (not all people do anyway).

What is the best place to sit for Tatsu? Also, what would be tips for riding Goliath? (I’m especially nervous about the helix part of the ride.) Thanks.

agree that front row is good for visuals. never really felt much difference in forces anywhere else, so if i don't wait for the front, i just go to the shortest line.

never thought goliath is all that intense in the helix anymore. what is intense is the mid course brake. lol