TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

They need to round out their offerings with flat rides and other attractions as well as fix up the crap they already have.

The problem is, when you have Universal and Disney down the road, does even an awesome flat ride compete with Harry Potter or Carsland? Magic Mountain is in a location where they need something unique to market, and giant coasters is really all they have.

I think people need to understand the difference between hating a ride experience and hating the investment. Full Throttle could be better than Xcelerator no doubt, but Knott's was not as large of a coaster park at the time Xcelerator was built. (The largest steel coaster at that time was Monte) I think it was perfectly acceptable for them to build a launch coaster that is a bit of a gimmick then. Present day-Magic Mountain, by comparison, is a very large park. For the past ten years, they have been wavering in and out of the record of the park with the most coasters. If, say, Worlds of Fun announced something like this, it should be a very exciting announcement. However, I would hate to imagine what would happen if Cedar Point announced this, regardless of if they have Dragster. (Which, considering the cost, May be an acceptable gimmick)

They need to round out their offerings with flat rides and other attractions as well as fix up the crap they already have.

The problem is, when you have Universal and Disney down the road, does even an awesome flat ride compete with Harry Potter or Carsland? Magic Mountain is in a location where they need something unique to market, and giant coasters is really all they have.

It competes by giving something to do to families and not just teenagers and adults. People that spend more money are always families but it's easy to alienate them by offering nothing for the young kids or less thrill inclined adults to do. Yes, for us coaster enthusiasts it's fantastic, but I find it funny that SFDK generates more revenue for Six Flags than SFMM does and it's about half the size with a lot less operating days.

^^ Well I don't think anyone necessarily likes the investment aspect of another quick fix coaster, but the fact is, it's coming whether we like it or not. It's certainly not Premier Rides fault, as they make very good launch coasters. So at this point I will judge Full - Throttle the same way I judge everything else. Either I like it or I don't.

Does anyone else severely miss Déjà Vu?

YES! Sure, it may have been "gimmicky," but I miss it. SFNE went higher up on my "Parks I need to visit" list when I heard they were getting it. Of course, Bizarro was already a major reason why I wanted to go to SFNE, but having Deja Vu (I'm not comfortable calling it Goliath since I'm used to SFMM's Goliath!) there is icing on the cake. Hoping I can make it over there someday! I'm also hoping that the space Deja Vu occupied will be the site of a decent coaster in the future, but for now Full Throttle will have to do!

West Coast Bash is only just over two months away? Is this true?!

I'm also hoping that WCB is happening in 2013! WCB is the only TPR event I've been able to attend (I've been going since 2010), and each year has been awesome! Maybe we'll hear something soon? I'll be waiting patiently...

^Don't hold you breath out front by X2, That's the park's picnic areas. Big money makers for parks when large groups visit like company outings and what not.

SFMM is far from being tapped out on land, they just get creative on where to put stuff (see YOLOcoaster). But that place does NOT need new coasters. They need to round out their offerings with flat rides and other attractions as well as fix up the crap they already have. Some of those rides could use some serious love (not that I expect them to get it).

Yah I thought something was there. I never really eat in their so I was just checking. You are right about the "touching up" before a new coaster. The park isn't HORRIBLE but it could use some clean up. I wish they would refurb some of their classics rather than having them in a horrible status. Something as simple as new Vekoma trains for Viper would make me happy. It really is a great coaster with the nice laterals I just think SFMM should refurb it a little bit. Not to mention "cough" Revolution "cough"

Yeah, I don't think the Picnic area's are going anywhere. During the summer both are booked up pretty much every weekend and the one closest to HH is booked up pretty much daily due to picnic groups in the waterpark.

SFMM has PLENTY of room for a new coaster if the park wants to get creative. They are only using about 1/2 of the available space that was available to them for YOLOcoaster. There is the Deja Vu/Slingshot spot, there is the ENTIRE back road of the park and of course there is a rather large parking lot available.

There is also some room near Riddlers/Tidal Wave for a smallish coaster, the mostly un-used Batman Theater, some of the path for the Metro track and there is space in and around Gold Rusher. The park could easily add another 6-8 coasters without removing anything.

In my mind, a bigger restriction to adding an additional attraction to sfmm would not necesserily be the land involved to build it on, but the funds needed to pay for the expenses associated with operating the coaster.

If you don't like it, you could always just not post here.

I could, but I like the meme anyway! I can only imagine the park executives that supposedly read this forum from time to time, regretting the terrible decision to use "YOLO".

One less bronie on our forums wouldn't be a terrible thing, now would it?

No thanks! Always glad to bother you to unreasonable extents with my avatar!

I'm also hoping that WCB is happening in 2013! WCB is the only TPR event I've been able to attend (I've been going since 2010), and each year has been awesome! Maybe we'll hear something soon? I'll be waiting patiently...

Me too! And hey, I know it's early, but maybe you and I could consider carpooling to WCB since we're both Phoenicians. Hope it happens, and I too will be waiting patiently!

West Coast Bash is only just over two months away? Is this true?!

We have not set a date yet for an upcoming West Coast Bash. When we do, you guys will be the first to know!

This year's West Coast Bash t-shirt should just say YOLO real big on the front.

Me too! And hey, I know it's early, but maybe you and I could consider carpooling to WCB since we're both Phoenicians. Hope it happens, and I too will be waiting patiently!

I might actually be up for this! I usually go to WCB with my family, but if they can't make it I'll let you know!

It's faded. The portion that was closer to Deja Vu is a bit darker because it was partially obscured by the sun unlike the other parts. At least that's what it looks like to me.

Domm, Saturday is Toys for Tots but I still don't think it will be that busy.

Thanks for the heads up, Clinks. I'm a 1-time a year kinda guy and hope to get everything in during the compressed hours schedule