TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

If Six Flags would just move their Fiscal Year-End back a few months, these problems of construction timing would be far less frequent.

Bingo.

I'll also add to this that it shows just how Six Flags does not as a company look far in advance. There seems to be some sort of belief from people that the parks are on a five year plan or a ten year plan or whatever that helps them keep aware of what they are building when. If they knew what they were building for the year that followed, they could put the money aside to start construction on their projects before they actually do. I think it's particularly interesting that they don't really commit to anything until the last possible moment.

I have heard it is better under current management, but I know of at least one park under Premier that started getting parts for a ride that they were under the impression they were not getting. Just a few years ago, didn't Great America take delivery of Chang, only for it to be shipped to Six Flags Great Adventure instead?

It's an amazing way to run a company, really.

I like how people claim that SFMM, SFDK, etc have airtime "if you know where to find it". Oddly enough, I never had to "know where to find" airtime on I305, SkyRush, etc.

The fact remains, CA Screamin' at DCA has more airtime than any ride at SFMM.

I don't agree. The park completely killed the air on CA Scream in' after that collision a few years back. That was my favorite part of the coaster, and now it feels as dull as driving off the freeway. Apocalypse has much better floater air, especially on the first drop.

It does annoy me some when people make posts proving incorrect that SFMM has no airtime, because that is pretty much going against a claim that no one ever made. Just about everyone knows that Pocky and Goliath have airtime on them. However, IMO, both of these rides have exactly the same problem, being that they start out with descent air in the first half, and have little to no airtime in the second half. Still, the coaster with the most airtime in the park is a wood coaster most of the park's audience no longer cares about, and most parks, even many small parks, have a coaster with more airtime than that coaster.

Come on! Any of you MM airtime defenders travelled east? The Mt has no ejector air, just mild pops. Nothing like El Toro, nothing like Skyrush, nothing like freaking Phoenix, not even a Nitro. No notable air, just way too many inversions.

Exactly. Almost every park on the East Coast big or small, sans the Florida parks, has a coaster with more airtime than every coaster at SFMM. In fact, the two best coasters for airtime in California happen to be at Disney and Seaworld, two chains not particularly known for their coasters.

^Hell yes! You can't have too many inversions. Thus Yolocoaster's mondo loop. We rulez! /sarcasm/

I grew up with this park. I want to not only like it, I want to love it. The infrastructure improvements around Full Throttle should be celebrated. This is the most ragged and run down large Six Flags property by a wide margin. Deferred maintenance? Must be a huge number. I wonder how it's affecting the budgets for new attractions. Or does management feel they have more than enough capacity? Maybe we'd get the same stuff regardless.

Honestly, coasters with multiple inversions are my least favorite type of coaster. Out of the multi-inversion coasters at SFMM the only one I ride with any frequency is Batman. So in that regard, I guess I am looking forward to Full Throttle. If Revolution didn't have OTSR's I think that and Colossus would probably be the two coasters I'd ride most in the park even now.

I like the idea of a Rocky Mountain redesign of Colossus but while riding Goliath I fantasize that Intamin would be asked to change the layout after the mid course brake to include some Skyrush type hills.

My favorite coasters with inversions are Maverick, Storm Runner and Griffon. They all do other things than only go upside down and aren't trying to set records for "most inversions."

I like the idea of a Rocky Mountain redesign of Colossus but while riding Goliath I fantasize that Intamin would be asked to change the layout after the mid course brake to include some Skyrush type hills.

After riding Golitah's counterpart in Texas, I also fantasize of a layout change to include that extra helix before the MCBR.

Enthusiasts often ignore that SFMM is the inversion capital of the world, well above other parks (according to RCDB). I love airtime as much as the next guy, but if were not going to have any we might as well be overachievers with inversions!

Inversions are probably the least favorite element of enthusiasts. But also the one thing that the GP either loves or is terrified of.

Coaster enthusiasts love forces, but coasters with inversions are generally the least forceful rides for their size. Also, rarely does a coaster with inversions offer anything unique. Oz'Iris, considered to be very innovative, actually has no inversions that have not been done before; it just presents them in a new order. However, enthusiasts do tend to like coasters with multiple launches, because many of them are long rides, able to incorporate airtime in them that even matches some of the largest hypers. So, these are two reasons Full Throttle is the most disappointing announcement of 2013.

Actually, there is also a third reason: the marketing. Full Throttle. Enough said.

There are inversions, and then there is SFMM, where it is beyond overkill. It"s like they feel they have to turn people upside down every time out, which is ridiculous. At least Full Throttle has a Snake Dive element which is my personal favorite. But I would trade the vertical loop for another top hat.

There are inversions, and then there is SFMM, where it is beyond overkill. It"s like they feel they have to turn people upside down every time out, which is ridiculous. At least YOLOcoaster has a Snake Dive element which is my personal favorite. But I would trade the vertical loop for another top hat.

I would trade the vertical loop for more track!

There are inversions, and then there is SFMM, where it is beyond overkill. It"s like they feel they have to turn people upside down every time out, which is ridiculous. At least YOLOcoaster has a Snake Dive element which is my personal favorite. But I would trade the vertical loop for another top hat.

I would trade the vertical loop for more track!

Would you trade it for Revolution to be restored? I was just watching a TPR video of the ride and how the brakes seem to kill the entire ride not to mention those stupid restraints

I know the talk of Revolution has been killed several times, but it's just interesting to me that the park with the 'Worlds first Vertical Loop' and the park with 'the most inversions in the world' would not want to restore this gem to it's former glory. I've heard all the arguments, specifically 'once you install a restraint you can't tone it down,' but what seems like a minor investment can make this beast essentially a new experience for an entire generation.

I mean, if you are going to be the inversion capital of the world and completely ignore airtime, you might as well take pride in some of the history you have!

full-throttle-six-flags-magic-mountain-2013-roller-coaster-sm.jpg

The more I look at photos of this ride the more I think SFMM has officially lost it. Some nice, lengthy, spectacular coasters have been announced for 2013 at other parks. Considering this picture is pretty much ALL Full Thr0ttle does, comparably this one just looks lame.

I would almost rather they skip installing this to spend money restoring Revolution like mentioned above, as well as facelifting the rest of the park in areas where we all know it needs it.

Wait a couple years and build a ride that has a decent ride time and actually makes sense.