TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Looney Tunes were the original characters at the park (1971---before the trolls), and they returned in 1985. To me, they make great park mascots, but of course it helps when the young 'uns relate to them. Because we always watched Looney Tunes, Diana was into it before she could even walk!

About Wiggles World, I hope there's more to do there than what Thomas Town has. There's room in Thomas town for a few more small things, and I'd like to see it grow because it is so well themed.

Eric

^^ They occasionally reference the loony toones on Family Guy! hahaha....

I think we are correct in assuming they are timeless. You never see Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck on TV but everybody still seems to know who they are. I think it's sort of the same with Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. Perhaps its up to our generations to educate the new kids on these cartoon legends!

Chris.

If it's any indication. yesterday at the "opening ceremonies" everybody was all over Mr. Six, they didn't really care about Bugs, etc.

I never saw Mr. Six at his Meet and Greet, but getting Josh pictures with the Lonney Tunes was pretty easy. Granted, so was getting pix with the superheroes too.

Perhaps its up to our generations to educate the new kids on these cartoon legends!

Agreed!

It seems that pretty much every preschooler show (with the exception of Sesame Street) is pretty faddish! I can't think of one show (besides the a fore mentioned Sesame Street) that my sister watched when she was that age (about six years ago) that's still popular today... Personally I think the parks should either come up with more of their own characters (Mr. Six) or really embrace the Looney Tunes thing.

As for Tidal Wave being removed, I have no problem with it. The Log Ride and Arrowhead Splashdown (I can never remember the real name) have always been much more desirable attractions, for me anyway.

I think we are correct in assuming they are timeless. You never see Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck on TV but everybody still seems to know who they are.

You obviously don't have children!!!

KT watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse about 17 times a day! She knows ALL of the characters! It's actually a really big show on Disney Channel and has a giant line of toys to go along with it. And perhaps that says a lot as well. While cruising through Toys R Us yesterday using some gift cards we got for KT's birthday (Thanks!). There was TONS of Mickey Mouse, Handy Manny, Dora, Diego, Backyardigans, Einsteins, etc. I didn't see ANY Looney Toons stuff.

We never see any looney toons on TV, but they are skewed to a slightly older child.

We never see any looney toons on TV, but they are skewed to a slightly older child.

Yeah, it seems like they are almost being "phased out," if you will. I know when I was a kid, they were on Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, in movies such as Space Jam, had a "tiny" version in "Tiny Toons," and more recently, "Baby Looney Toons." Now seeing them anywhere besides a Six Flags is a rarity, at least for me.

^^^Substitute "Imagination Movers" in place of the Backyardigans, and you have my little brother's weekend.

Disney knows how to keep their classics "new" and appealing to the new generation. I think my brother may recognize Disney characters faster than I could at that age (4) thanks to Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Granted, I spent a LOT of my childhood fixed in front of the Looney Tunes (and Animaniacs) programming over Mickey's Mouse Tracks. I wish they were more prevalent today outside a small area in Six Flags parks.

Looney Tunes were the original characters at the park (1971---before the trolls), and they returned in 1985.

I'd never heard that before. A quick internet search suggests that Magic Mountain did get permission to use the Looney Tunes characters when they opened, but never actually used them for the first ten years or so.

Not arguing. Like I said, I'd never even heard of it until you brought it up. But does anyone actually recall seeing any Looney Tunes stuff at Magic Mountain in the early days?

^ Not only did I visit the park a few times in 1971, my park map makes references to the Looney Tunes. I have posted that map here previously, but I'll have to find it and repost it.

Ride signs at that time used to say "You must be as tall as [fill in character] in order to ride." But, as I said, the Looney Tunes characters were only in the park for the 1971 season, which ended about Thanksgiving that year. Because the park opened prematurely (in the opinions of most critics of the day), the owners shut it down completely---not even weekend or holiday operation---for six months to upgrade the rides, add a few, reconfigure queues, etc. The park reopened for Memorial Day Weekend 1972 with the Wizard and Trolls (Bloop, Bleep, and Blop). They stayed all the way till 1985, as I mentioned before, when Looney Tunes reappeared.

"Arrowhead Splashdown (I can never remember the real name)" (ghost007jas)

Jet Stream. That was the original name till a few years back when Arrowhead water sponsored the ride and wanted the name changed. It has since been changed back to Jet Stream---a name I like better anyway.

Eric

So I heard back from my sister whose family of 4 kids, all 48" and shorter, had a terrific time at SFMM last Friday.

The kids had a great time in Bugs Bunny World, the eldest rode Colossus, the 2 eldest rode Ninja & loved it, and everyone had a great time up in the Sky Tower. The favorite coasters were Gold Rusher & Ninja. Scrambler was a big hit too, as was Sand Blasters whose new cars give a pretty decent ride. Nice to have that additional capacity that'll cut the wait times a bit. My sister & my dad rode Tatsu for the first time, and were really in for a shock not knowing exactly what a B&M Flyer was. When they saw the seats rotate for the first time while in the loading house, it was a pretty big "oh my..." moment for them. My Dad was raving about how clean the park was, and he took me to SFMM for my first time in the late 1980s. He was very impressed by the look, the feel, the overall vibe of the park. He hadn't been to SFMM since, oh, 1996 or so, and he was very pleased at the state of SFMM. That really spoke to me, as he remembers the old days of 20+ years ago.

The 2 eldest kids were huge Thomas fans, but when I asked if they liked Thomas Town my sister replied, "You know, I don't think we ever actually went in there." That was pretty interesting to me after all this discussion about how Thomas Town isn't a silver bullet for the family crowd. It tells me that families can have a great time at SFMM while missing Thomas Town entirely. Not to devalue Thomas Town at all, but just to say that the entire park was very enjoyable for a family of 4 whose eldest child is exactly 48" tall, and the youngest was admitted free for being under 2. They just went from Bugs Bunny World hopped right over to the 2 flats at Gotham City's entrance, loved those, hopped over through the midway to Scrambler & Gold Rusher, loved those, and went up the hill to Ninja & Sky Tower, and loved those too. Thomas kinda got skipped over, but my sister was saying how they'd probably have liked that too. There was just so much to do elsewhere that the kids wanted to keep moving on.

They're going to wait & see about Terminator, but my sister was saying just from how it looks, that she'll want to ride, and her eldest will probably want to as well. It looks like a great family-style coaster.

The kids are very excited that they have season passes so they can come back many times this year, and the parents are excited about having season parking, so $15 doesn't need to be scrounged up with every visit. Everything's paid for, and now they can make return visits totally at their leisure. Combine that with all the coupons found in their 5, count 'em, 5 season pass books, and they're really happy with SFMM right now. They're also looking forward to the Matt Hoffman Stunt Show coming in May.

So I'm happy that they're happy, and I'm also happy that they had such a glowing impression of the park with my sister not having visited since 2002. And yes, full disclosure, the kids are all stoked about being able to come back to "where Uncle Matt works."

The Tidal Wave location would be great for an attraction similar to Disneyland's Autopia. I get nostalgic for fossil fuel powered vehicles now that everyone is driving electric cars. Kids will be asking, "Dad, where do you plug it in?"

I'll like to see free wi-fi through out the Park, now that iPhone/PDA/Blackberry's etc, are so popular today. AIG Vice Presidents can visit Six Flags during the business day and get work done as they are enjoying the rides.

Magic Mountain needs to get into Real Estate development. The market for real estate never goes down. How many of you would kill for a house on a man made lake where you have a view of the park? And within Walking distance?

Magic Mountain needs to get into Real Estate development. The market for real estate never goes down. How many of you would kill for a house on a man made lake where you have a view of the park? And within Walking distance?

In my opinion, it would be cool at first, but the novelty would wear off quickly. This goes for any park, not just Magic Mountain. It would be cool to live close to a park, but not next door to one, especially a major one. The constant noise, commotion, construction, traffic, etc. might get annoying after a while.

In my opinion, it would be cool at first, but the novelty would wear off quickly. This goes for any park, not just Magic Mountain. It would be cool to live close to a park, but not next door to one, especially a major one. The constant noise, commotion, construction, traffic, etc. might get annoying after a while.

Okay, let's just go with a Hotel and add a brand new theme park next door. People need a reason to extend their stay in the area. Make it a RESORT, not just a 6 hours and you're out roller coater park.

The resort thing is not a bad idea but I long for the day when Disneyland had a parking lot and not DCA. DCA is still a waste to me but if SFMM could do a nice Hotel with shopping and nice restaurants that would be cool. SFMM is kind of a place you drive through, stop for a few hours and be on your way. If you miss some things you're not that worked up by it. Although they are making the park better and better every year. Fix the Monorail and let's find someplace to bring back a train.

Magic Mountain needs to get into Real Estate development. The market for real estate never goes down.

Um, have you been to California lately? Come to think of it, do you read the news?

Honestly I was thinking that too, it's not a good time to get into anything right now, and the last thing SF needs is to lose MORE money

Elissa, you are right, I have no idea what is going on with today's children. Consider me "told." LOL. I guess my only defense now for the loony toons characters now is:

1) They are part of the pioneers of motion picture cartoons, and it is our responsibility to educate the young ones about them

and

2) Perhaps they can become more synonymous with the six flags chain. Remember the trolls? They had nothing to do with. . . anything! But the kids still wanted to go back to the park to see them.

My only weird thing with the Loony Toons is that I think parents today find the material offensive and violent. I know everybody is trying to clean up and be all PC and stuff; and when I watch the old 'Toons cartoons I am usually offended, but I still think its funny and it helped create the person that I am today. It is in no way 'wrong' or racist or anything, I just think it was kind of ridiculous, and I feel the kids still need to see something like that today. The only comparison that I have seen today is that 'Total Drama Island' show, which is hardly timeless.

I agree that a Yo Gabba Gabba land would be AWESOME. However we have no idea today whether or not it is a fad. Lets give Divo and the Aquabats some time to develop!!!!

Chris.

^There are a ton of fairly racist and sexist connotations in the material. I am not offended, I guess I worded that wrong, but the way I see it now is how I can understand that today's parents can find it 'taboo.' We all grew up watching it, but it somehow comes off 'different' now than it did before.

Perhaps I find the world WAYYY too PC now than it was when I grew up. Kind of like how the playground equipment I played on as a child would now be deemed 'condemned' by today's standards because you might perhaps get a splinter.

Chris.