TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ That is really interesting as I thought I had read somewhere that SF will not do anymore $20 million investments (for the foreseeable future) so maybe things are getting back on track to where we can see those figures again throughout the chain.

I thought that $15 million figure was what SC WOULD'VE cost had it been built from the ground up, if I remember correctly from the press release. I highly doubt MM would drop $20 million on TC, that's almost the cost of Lightning Rod which is from scratch. One of the main selling points of ibox is cost effectiveness.

It does say it would've cost $15 million, with that in mind, it's safe to assume at least $10 million. Double that and you have $20 million. It's not far-fetched to assume TC was a $20 million investment, at the very least $17-$18 million. Regardless of the exact figures it was undoubtedly a very costly investment for the park, which was the original basis of my post.

Also, it's cost effectiveness is based on a comparison with wood track. Not by being a low-price item by itself.

Traditional wood tracks require a lot maintenance and high maintenance equals high costs. Our new IBox Track steel technology reduces maintenance costs significantly as well as increasing the track life and in turn reduces the overhead, resulting in substantial long term savings.
Source

Six Flags gets reduced prices on RMC conversions (until this year, actually, ROAR/ The Joker was the last one) for giving RMC exposure and making them what they are today. Most of the time prototypes are discounted anyway because of the involved risk, and that was the case with NTG. The discounts continued until now, where they will cease. That's basically why SC and LR are costing what seems like a lot to us

Six Flags gets reduced prices on RMC conversions (until this year, actually, ROAR/ The Joker was the last one) for giving RMC exposure and making them what they are today. Most of the time prototypes are discounted anyway because of the involved risk, and that was the case with NTAG. The discounts continued until now, where they will cease. That's basically why SC and LR are costing what seems like a lot to us

Source?

It does say it would've cost $15 million, with that in mind, it's safe to assume at least $10 million. Double that and you have $20 million. It's not far-fetched to assume TC was a $20 million investment, at the very least $17-$18 million. Regardless of the exact figures it was undoubtedly a very costly investment for the park, which was the original basis of my post.

Also, it's cost effectiveness is based on a comparison with wood track. Not by being a low-price item by itself.

Traditional wood tracks require a lot maintenance and high maintenance equals high costs. Our new IBox Track steel technology reduces maintenance costs significantly as well as increasing the track life and in turn reduces the overhead, resulting in substantial long term savings.
Source

The cost reduction is also within the item itself, considering the ibox track makes use of an already in place wooden structure. Which also eliminates the need for ground prep and footers. And just because TC has double the track length of Storm Chaser does not automatically mean it's double the cost. There are other factors involved there, like one being SC's structure required a lot more removal than TC.

Also, Six Flags spent about $90 million for capital improvements in 2015. With 11 parks, I find it hard to believe that 22% of that went to MM alone.

The cost reduction is also within the item itself, considering the ibox track makes use of an already in place wooden structure. Which also eliminates the need for ground prep and footers.

In that context, it's "cheap" because money has already been spent beforehand. Obviously. That doesn't define it as a cheap product itself, at all. Moot point.

Also, Six Flags spent about $90 million for capital improvements in 2015. With 11 parks, I find it hard to believe that 22% of that went to MM alone.

I've already elaborated my view on this topic in my two previous posts. $20 million, or at lest $17 million is completely reasonable without getting lost in the details and seeing the forest for the trees. It's not such a complex argument as we are going by speculative estimations.

The cost reduction is also within the item itself, considering the ibox track makes use of an already in place wooden structure. Which also eliminates the need for ground prep and footers.

In that context, it's "cheap" because money has already been spent beforehand. Obviously. That doesn't define it as a cheap product itself, at all. Moot point.

I've already elaborated my view on this topic in my two previous posts. $20 million, or at lest $17 million is completely reasonable without getting lost in the details and seeing the forest for the trees. It's not such a complex argument as we are going by speculative estimations.

If we're going by speculative estimations (which is actually all we have given SFMM has not released any finanical data regarding TC) I'd estimate TC cost between $12-15 million. Based off what SF has spent on single attractions for the better part of a decade, previous Six Flags RMC projects, and total capital expenditures for the 2015 season (which I mentioned above) .

Has anyone gone to the park to redeem a 2016 Gold Season Dining Pass yet? Did you get your 2016 sports bottle?

Does anyone know? And speaking of, does anyone want mine? I don't drink soda

you can still get other choices with the multi coke machines...like, flavored dasani water. i might be going tomorrow if they are giving out last ride buttons, and if the line is short, redeem my dining pass. if you still don't want the bottle, i'd take it for free?

you can still get other choices with the multi coke machines...like, flavored dasani water. i might be going tomorrow if they are giving out last ride buttons, and if the line is short, redeem my dining pass. if you still don't want the bottle, i'd take it for free?

You can def have it for free... I don't like drinking flavored water, but beyond everything... I don't want to carry around a water bottle everywhere I go in the park Once I figure out how to redeem it, we'll figure out how to get it to you

Pick Up Your Membership Cards
The vouchers you received when you placed your order will get you into the park the first time, but you will want to stop by Season Pass Processing and pick up your cards on your first visit so that you can enjoy all of the benefits of being a Member.

I received this in my email, I just signed up for the membership. I thought you were suppose to bring your voucher (paper print out) to the turnstile, they do your finger scan, and then you get your ID and that's that? Is it mandatory to go to the Processing Center?

Pick Up Your Membership Cards
The vouchers you received when you placed your order will get you into the park the first time, but you will want to stop by Season Pass Processing and pick up your cards on your first visit so that you can enjoy all of the benefits of being a Member.

I received this in my email, I just signed up for the membership. I thought you were suppose to bring your voucher (paper print out) to the turnstile, they do your finger scan, and then you get your ID and that's that? Is it mandatory to go to the Processing Center?

it's possible the gold add on needs to be done at the processing center. not 100% sure. I don't remember how they did mine last year

What about parking on the first visit? The voucher printout mentions...

2016 GOLD Parking - Flash Sale

INSTRUCTIONS

Voucher expires 11/1/15 and will be scanned first at the toll plaza and then at the turnstile to add your parking benefits to your Pass ID. Voucher alone does not provide a Parking Pass.

I assume/hope this gets me in. Just wondering if anyone has experience.

Have anyone canceled their current Membership and re-purchased it at this weekend's pricing?

I purchased a Membership during last year's Flash Sale and am paying $5.85/mo. Given how I'm out of the 12 month contract, though, I'm worried my monthly fee could go up. I'm wondering if I should cancel that membership and purchase it again to (presumably) receive the current $5.99/mo. pricing for at least the next 12 months...

Have anyone canceled their current Membership and re-purchased it at this weekend's pricing?

I purchased a Membership during last year's Flash Sale and am paying $5.85/mo. Given how I'm out of the 12 month contract, though, I'm worried my monthly fee could go up. I'm wondering if I should cancel that membership and purchase it again to (presumably) receive the current $5.99/mo. pricing for at least the next 12 months...

i got an email in July telling me my membership would go up by 25 cents. so, 5.99 is actually cheaper still. not sure if you got the same email or not.

I did, but I was paying over ten bucks a month.

When canceling, I said too expensive. They countered with 7 something, I refused, then they offered the 5.99. If they raise yours, it.Will most.likely be the 25 cents. They did that to me. I was waiting for this sale to cancel, but they made it easy to keep.

What about parking on the first visit? The voucher printout mentions...

2016 GOLD Parking - Flash Sale

INSTRUCTIONS

Voucher expires 11/1/15 and will be scanned first at the toll plaza and then at the turnstile to add your parking benefits to your Pass ID. Voucher alone does not provide a Parking Pass.

I assume/hope this gets me in. Just wondering if anyone has experience.

Yes your voucher will get you free parking on your first visit. The second part means that if you do not process your pass at the park on that visit, you won't be able to use your voucher to park again in the future.

Yes your voucher will get you free parking on your first visit. The second part means that if you do not process your pass at the park on that visit, you won't be able to use your voucher to park again in the future.

That's what I figured. Thanks!