TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Last year, when I contacted the administrator of isitpacked.com, he recommending going on X2, Tatsu, Full Throttle, Goliath, and Superman in that order based on popularity. So, if I were to do Twisted Colossus after that based on current wait time, should that be an effective plan?

However, I would seriously question whether Viper was even a B-list coaster these days! Seems like a solid C, maybe a C+ at best to me!

Viper is awesome yo!

That is certainly not my memory of it! It DID, however, make me appreciate how far we've come from my early days of coaster riding when that was considered to be a "great" rollercoaster! To each their own, however... I still insist Drachen Fire was awesome and shouldn't be torn down, but clearly I was in the minority there!

Last year, when I contacted the administrator of isitpacked.com, he recommending going on X2, Tatsu, YOLOcoaster, Goliath, and Superman in that order based on popularity. So, if I were to do Twisted Colossus after that based on current wait time, should that be an effective plan?

My usual plan is Yolo, then X2 and Tatsu, and then up to Superman. Yolo is right off the entrance plaza, so you can be in and out of it pretty quickly. X2 is on the way up to Tatsu, so I hit them in that order. Like others have said, TC isn't a bad wait even on busy days. It runs 3 trains and the ops at least try to get the trains off quickly, so I typically save it for later in the day. Night rides on TC are awesome, so I also like to do it 2-3 times at the end of the day. When the single rider line was open, I got 5 rides in about an hour one night! But sadly the single rider line is no more

Edited by VegasBaby

For Viper, it really depends on how tall you are. I'm lucky to be tall enough so my entire head is above the restraints and doesn't hit. If you're shorter, your head could be bouncing off the restraints the whole time. I like the ride, my wife and son hate it. Even me liking it.... Its a B- at best haha. I enjoy Ninja more honestly. Maybe even GoldRusher too

For Viper, it really depends on how tall you are. I'm lucky to be tall enough so my entire head is above the restraints and doesn't hit. If you're shorter, your head could be bouncing off the restraints the whole time. I like the ride, my wife and son hate it. Even me liking it.... Its a B- at best haha. I enjoy Ninja more honestly. Maybe even GoldRusher too

<---------------------------Definitely a "shorter" person here!

However, I would seriously question whether Viper was even a B-list coaster these days! Seems like a solid C, maybe a C+ at best to me!

Viper is awesome yo!

That is certainly not my memory of it! It DID, however, make me appreciate how far we've come from my early days of coaster riding when that was considered to be a "great" rollercoaster! To each their own, however... I still insist Drachen Fire was awesome and shouldn't be torn down, but clearly I was in the minority there!

i don't know if i was such an Arrow looper nut hugger back in the day, because i didn't think any of them were rough. i loved drachen fire. i loved viper. today, i can't come close to marathoning them like i used to. i was able to do canyon blaster 10 times in january, only did that to feel i got my moneys worth. but my left side hurt pretty bad from the transition after the loops. lol

so yeah, today i do appreciate how far we've come, or i'm just a wuss in my old age. probably a bit of both.

Last year, when I contacted the administrator of isitpacked.com, he recommending going on X2, Tatsu, YOLOcoaster, Goliath, and Superman in that order based on popularity. So, if I were to do Twisted Colossus after that based on current wait time, should that be an effective plan?

When you get to the park is a BIG factor. Also, this routing plan has a lot of backtracking: you're going all the way to one end of the park to ride Goliath only to come all that way back to a longer line.

IF you plan well, you'll get to the park (meaning you're at the park kiosk) no later than 9:50 or so and be in front when they open the gates. Yolo, X2, Tatsu, Superman, then Goliath would be cheaper IMO. This is a very linear touring plan. Don't forget that walking takes time. But if you come late, this plan isn't good anymore.

Viper is a garbage ride, in my humble opinion.

If we weren't being distracted by our backs/necks/ears/shoulders getting smashed around, it would be easier to notice that the ride is SO. BORING.

It's trim-braked to death and there isn't any kind of speed or (good) force after the first loop. The rest of the ride feels like driving in rush hour traffic to me... every time is starts to gain a little speed, it either hits brakes, or goes upward into a climbing element that it has just barely enough speed to complete without valleying.

I hate this ride so much. *off soapbox*

While I don't hate Viper, if we had to nominate a coaster for removal, that would definitely be it. They could put something pretty amazing in it's spot. Don't think we see it removed though until after the 50th anniversary. I'm convinced they want 20 coasters for this, and #20 is going to be some sort of record breaker. My money is on either a 450ft poler coaster surrounding an all new observation tower, or a custom RMC that breaks the speed or length barrier for a woody.

While I don't hate Viper, if we had to nominate a coaster for removal, that would definitely be it. They could put something pretty amazing in it's spot. Don't think we see it removed though until after the 50th anniversary. I'm convinced they want 20 coasters for this, and #20 is going to be some sort of record breaker. My money is on either a 450ft poler coaster surrounding an all new observation tower, or a custom RMC that breaks the speed or length barrier for a woody.

Winged or Dive coaster taking up vipers spot, going over the white water ride and extending into daja vu's old footprint, then comes back to complete the loop. Possibly costs too much but that's a lot of space to work with.

Winged or Dive coaster taking up vipers spot, going over the white water ride and extending into daja vu's old footprint, then comes back to complete the loop. Possibly costs too much but that's a lot of space to work with.

There's no way they'd put a winged coaster next to another winged coaster. I don't see one of those coming for a very long time. Maybe they'd start a giga from Viper's spot and follow the layout you proposed.

If they are trying to stay budget concious then probably not but, you never know. Maybe they won't plop one down at every park but, they might pick one or two locations and put one there.... at this point who's to say what they will do.

I agree. Considering how MM calls themselves the "thrill capital of the world," you'd think they'd add one eventually.

They'd never remove Viper since it has a record-setting (and record-holding) 7 inversions for US steel coasters. Ninja needs to go for environmental degradation though.

Technically Viper does still hold that record in the US, but Scream also has that many inversions. Shit, they could build something with 8 or 9 to take its place.

Ninja better not go anywhere though. That's one of my favorite non-inverting coasters ever, and its extremely unique

I dunno guys, IMO Viper is probably one of the better designed, better taken care of, Arrow Looping Installations of the 90's. SFMM ride maintenance has done a great job taking care of the ride, and to be honest I think it rides better today than it did maybe 5, 10 years ago.

The ride has its typical Arrow track design flaws, but it hauls ass up to the brake run after it gets off that lift hill. I love the first drop in the back seat, and that turn around after the first loop, and the speed through the others. The second half is a little bit slower, but I honestly can't see them removing it for at least another 10 years. The double corkscrews really give you a sense of being inverted at a good speed. Let's be honest, the ride was made with being upside down the main attraction. That's not so much a thing anymore, but Viper is a classic and I hope it stays around.

Unless there's an i305 being put in its place, I'd balk at any B&M hyper or giga that would take it's place.