TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So the old MCBR\even older double down is remaining? I assumed that whole part of the structure would be removed from looking at the layout renderings....

nah, it's gotta be hacked to all hell eventually. plus the track is curving from the lift hill out to the parking lot thru those elements also.

Are those pictures from this weekend?

Hate to say it, but if so, why does it seem like there has been very little progress the past 2 weeks?

Maybe they're doing a lot of other prep work that isn't obvious, and the track will go up rather quickly.

My guess is RMC is much more concerned with getting track out to the weather challenged New England, while getting the Colossus structure and other prep work done until Cyclone's track work is done.

My gawd that movie is going to be terrible.

If it's coming out near the end of this year, it's probably already been shot and is currently being edited, so if we haven't heard about it happening already, I wouldn't expect them to be at Magic Mountain doing takes.

Writers these days are so out of ideas, they should be embarrassed of themselves.

My gawd that movie is going to be terrible.

If it's coming out near the end of this year, it's probably already been shot and is currently being edited, so if we haven't heard about it happening already, I wouldn't expect them to be at Magic Mountain doing takes.

Writers these days are so out of ideas, they should be embarrassed of themselves.

There would be something kind of cool about the remake of the movie using the remake of the coaster, but you're right there is absolutely no way this movie is going to be good. You can't remake a classic like this..even if the remake is good in and of itself (and it probably wont be), you'd still hate it for the comparison to the original.

In fairness though I don't think the writers are completely to blame, it's the studios. They're too afraid to take a gamble on millions of dollars with a fresh idea that may win or lose when in their view a remake or reboot has a built in audience and even if the movie sucks (it will) they're still virtually guaranteed to make their money back just out of former fans' curiosity or blind allegiance. Case in point, I know this is going to be bad, but I'm still going to see it, and they know I'm not the only one.

I've just realised that the Superman structure looks very steampunk. Will be good for theming continuity... which Six Flags is very concerned about, I'm sure.

Well, Superman was originally going to have a steam-ish theme, so I understand where you get that from.

You're right in that for an October release, principle photography should be completed by now. But have we heard of ANY park having recently been used as a location for Wally World for a Vacation reboot/sequel?

The movie had better include the family actually getting to Wally World eventually.

I believe that I read somewhere that the movie is being filmed now.

This article states that wally world is closing for good, and rusty is returning to the park with his family. It looks like the original cast will make some kind of appearance in the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-writers-hired-for-new-vacation-movie-rusty-griswold-will-return-to-wally-world-before-it-closes-forever/

With the park being closed during the week, it's possible that they could be filming there and not even be noticed.

I've just realised that the Superman structure looks very steampunk. Will be good for theming continuity... which Six Flags is very concerned about, I'm sure.

Well, Superman was originally going to have a steam-ish theme, so I understand where you get that from.

Fascinating photo. Was a HUGE fan of Superman the day I heard of it (before it was even built), learned and know so much about it, have NEVER seen that photo.

Just out of curiosity, did you save that photo to your archive? Or is there a Superman The Escape site you got that from? I'd love to read more if you're aware of a site I've never been to.

Fascinating photo. Was a HUGE fan of Superman the day I heard of it (before it was even built), learned and know so much about it, have NEVER seen that photo.

Just out of curiosity, did you save that photo to your archive? Or is there a Superman The Escape site you got that from? I'd love to read more if you're aware of a site I've never been to.

It was actually on display in the Sky Tower museum. You can find some neat info by searching 'Velocetron Magic Mountain'.

Regarding Presidents day weekend, which day is better to go:

Sunday or Monday? Are they much different? How bad are the crowds that day?

all those holidays in the off season are the ones i target to hit the park. i can't remember myself about presidents day, but i'd say monday will be less crowded. but, it's also open 2 hours less closing at 6 instead of 8 according to the park hours posted.

btw, so glad they added the calendar view. hated the line view only.

Go Sunday. It should be much much lighter than Monday. The holidays themselves tend to be crowded but the weekends (especially Sundays) before them tend to be much lighter than the holiday itself for some reason, just as it was this past weekend. Saturday was moderate, Sunday was DEAD, and Monday was PACKED!

Don't ask me why.

I'd probably go Monday, but it's somewhat of a toss-up as SFMM can be randomly busy or randomly quiet. I've found off-season holidays at the park typically range from moderate to busy, and the number of trains in operation on coasters can have a big impact on wait times. A busy day with two trains on everything would be a better choice than a moderately crowded day with lots of one-train operations, for example. Unfortunately, operations are not something you can predict very easily.

Exception to the above: If you are buying a Flash Pass, definitely go on Sunday to take advantage of longer hours.

I'd probably go Monday, but it's somewhat of a toss-up as SFMM can be randomly busy or randomly quiet. I've found off-season holidays at the park typically range from moderate to busy, and the number of trains in operation on coasters can have a big impact on wait times. A busy day with two trains on everything would be a better choice than a moderately crowded day with lots of one-train operations, for example. Unfortunately, operations are not something you can predict very easily.

Exception to the above: If you are buying a Flash Pass, definitely go on Sunday to take advantage of longer hours.

Especially since a lot of people are too tired to go on Monday.

I would say the opposite. Sunday will be busier because people are off Monday, so they can take their "daycations" and not have to worry about work/school the next day.

See, that's what you'd think, but that's also what most other people think and it ends up being packed on Monday. Just believe me on this one, it happens to me year after year after year. The Sunday always ends up being better, EVERYTIME in my experience. This is just with SFMM though.

I believe that I read somewhere that the movie is being filmed now.

This article states that wally world is closing for good, and rusty is returning to the park with his family. It looks like the original cast will make some kind of appearance in the film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/new-writers-hired-for-new-vacation-movie-rusty-griswold-will-return-to-wally-world-before-it-closes-forever/

With the park being closed during the week, it's possible that they could be filming there and not even be noticed.

Filming was done in September and October. Primarily around the Atlanta area. Possible that they could have filmed at SFMM but maybe more likely SFOG.

Good point- when did colossus close? it would have been great to get some shots back on that and revolution for the new flick. What was revolution called in the original??? loop-de-loop or something like that?