TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Hmm Riddler not operating? That's definitely unusual. There must be something more severe behind it. I understand with some of the weather lately, but I don't think that was the case was it?

I don't think so, because they even had superman finally up and running which was a welcome surprise! I would like to find out why in earth they would shut down riddler as yea, that was odd enough!

I went to apocalypse and apparently they still lie about the ride times. the sign said 90 min and I even asked to be sure. he of course said 90 min. I probably waited no more than 40-45 min for that one.

The sign at Apocalypse almost always seems to be a wildly inaccurate overestimate. Back when they used the pre-shows, a full queue could actually take close to two hours (depending on how many Flash Pass users show up). However, last year I waited in a completely full queue with two trains running and it was in the 30-45 minute range. I have to wonder if the wait posting procedure was never updated as the line seems to move about twice as fast now as it did back when the pre-shows were used but the posted wait times tend to be similar based on the physical length of the line.

I never realized how faded Scream is. Wow.

Yeah it's horrid! Tatsu is on it's way there too

when you are walking up the hill to Tatsu from Apocalypse you can see the color change in some of the columns where part is always shaded and the rest in the sun.

The California sun eats away at the paint very quickly, especially when it's still the manufacturer paint still on there. Look at the difference between what the paint job on Scream used to look like and what it looks like now.

From construction

To today, with the photoshop job on it posted a couple pages back.

I knew the paint was about shot, but I didn't think that it had gotten bad where it was at the point where it almost lost all color. So apparently about 12 years is what it takes for SFMM to finally realize their coasters need paint. I know Dragster looks just as bad, but at least that has a 420ft tall reason as to why it hasn't been painted. Guess we can expect Tatsu to be painted sometime in 2018.

Riddler has never been painted has it? I must say, aside from some of the blatantly visible metal scratching and oil, Riddler's paint job still looks fairly decent, especially considering it's been around for almost 17 years. Perhaps it's a special shade of green that works well with the sun? #yeahright

Riddler has never been painted has it? I must say, aside from some of the blatantly visible metal scratching and oil, Riddler's paint job still looks fairly decent, especially considering it's been around for almost 17 years. Perhaps it's a special shade of green that works well with the sun? #yeahright

That was a lead-based paint that is no longer able to used due to EPA regulations.

Went to the Mountain yesterday and it was nice, besides all of the screaming coming from the little cheerleaders it was a good day. I took my 6 month old just to see how she would do and she loved looking at the different things moving. Plus got a beautiful pic with her and Santa! Only got on 2 rides while I was their with family, Viper and Goliath!

I can say Viper was runnig well and honestly had an OH SH*& monent. Sitting in the back, I forgot how it whips you around at the top. Goliath as always running smooth and kicking A$$. Wish I could have gotten on more rides but being a daddy I wanted to be with my little girl! Speaking of the condition of the rides, yes they are indeed of some new paint. I took some pictures of TC and the track that was installed but I dropped my phone and I fell flat on the screen, so there! That small airtime hill after the drop is going to be killer, can't wait for Twisted C!

Rob and Elisa are you going to having an over nighter event for this?

- that Christmas Tree fountain = uhhh, I hope they come up with something better next year :x

Funny thing is that those lights are programmable and aimed at different points on the "tree", they could easily make it into a light show of its own if they wanted to. Multiple colors, chasing, flashing etc.

- that Christmas Tree fountain = uhhh, I hope they come up with something better next year :x

Funny thing is that those lights are programmable and aimed at different points on the "tree", they could easily make it into a light show of its own if they wanted to. Multiple colors, chasing, flashing etc.

I think instead of a fountain, next year they should install a HUGE tree that you can walk through. Maybe put it somewhere near Bugs Bunny World? I think the kids would like that.

Went to the park for the first time this Sunday while I was out in CA for a short family wedding trip. I didn't know what to expect since I had always heard a lot of people bashing SFMM. I went in with an open mind and I really enjoyed myself. I did get a gold flash pass since I had to catch a flight later that evening. It was my first time using it and it was great. I also thought the operations were fantastic. I did think there would be horrendous dispatch times but everything was really quick yesterday.

Ninja and Apocalypse were the only rides running one train. Riddler's Revenge was closed for the whole day. Scream broke down a few times throughout the day. Other than that everything was working and running great!

I also thought the Holiday in the Park was very well done. I wish there was more of it, especially the area around Tatsu, but it all looked great. The little light show in the DC Universe section was a nice addition as well. Nothing that would blow your mind but a sign to me that the park is trying to do things right. I was shocked with the fake snow they were making near the entrance, it really was a nice touch.

Now my thoughts on the coasters.

Revolution - love the look of the trains, hate the OTSR, nothing great about the ride, same as everyone else's comments. #12

Viper - I enjoyed Viper, I was expecting to get the crap beaten out of me but I thought it was actually pretty smooth. #8

X2 - Rode front seat, it was an interesting experience. I wanted to hate it because I felt like it wanted to shake me to death, my knees and calves were hurting from banging against the seat, but it is unlike anything else I have ridden. It was intense, I enjoyed the sound track that went along with it, love the first drop facing straight down! #2

Tatsu - By far the best flyer I have been on. (Superman - SFOG, Firehawk, Nighthawk) Really enjoyed it. #6

Ninja - I thought Ninja was okay but to me it wasn't near as good as BBW. It was enjoyable though. #10

Superman - What a great ride, really had a lot of fun on it. #3

Apocalypse - I thought this was fun, but it was very forgettable. #11

Green Lantern - I was expecting to hate this one but I enjoyed it. Did not flip around on it as much as I thought it would. #9

Batman - The most intense Batman I've been on, and most likely the most intense B&M I've been on. It was absolutely hauling a$$ at night. #5

Scream - Finally got on this at the end of the day, little bit of rattle but I enjoyed it. Rode this twice in a row. I hated that horn that they play when you dispatch. #7

Goliath - Smooth, fast, fun. The helix was really intense, loved it. #4

Goldrusher - It was fun at night being in the back row and having no idea where you were going. #13

Full Throttle - Love the hangtime on the loop, that was great! Back seat over the loop was some great airtime, too bad the ride has to slow down...#1

All my shots of TC came out really bad, that is why I do not have more of them.

20141214_131614_HDR.thumb.jpg.3417fb402641161940ae8cf179c4317a.jpg

Epic Airtime hill! Can't imagine how awesome that will be!

20141214_131640_HDR.thumb.jpg.478aba0436cee02bd858dee86fa7562a.jpg

Love this shot!

20141214_140742_HDR.thumb.jpg.29c595f45685e9de5cd095c1d445c602.jpg

Some Holiday decorations during the day

20141214_140806_HDR.thumb.jpg.98c5f9d9fbacc176bd595aeb48f80958.jpg

I love how Tatsu flies above the park!

20141214_142558_HDR.thumb.jpg.78785f7184d2b3fd0b1458e37e8ff421.jpg

Mrs. Claus reading the Night Before Christmas!

20141214_142619_HDR.thumb.jpg.a3a1a5153862dce38650440cf7b90568.jpg

20141214_161241_HDR.thumb.jpg.ad291d881632a5f4d98c392322f1f4d9.jpg

This is that iconic shot (well in my mind) that I had always been wanting to capture!

20141214_171332_HDR.thumb.jpg.c48f4d3ca59a5b6e9fdf976959eb472d.jpg

Some of the Holiday in the Park Lights!

20141214_171358_HDR.thumb.jpg.69513e90f59fbe4f5b24efbe2f81dbea.jpg

20141214_175118_HDR.thumb.jpg.0bc9b951c600ec161427ad52c1dbf4fe.jpg

20141214_175131_HDR.thumb.jpg.c94898fb51cbacb6d069d31a8a922115.jpg

20141214_182340_HDR.thumb.jpg.214c53d8dc92df62e6646bacb2412f9f.jpg

20141214_182350_HDR.thumb.jpg.cc2e5bba2575016bac2e6ec76eb44a1e.jpg

20141214_183442_HDR.thumb.jpg.c2b7e43b981d815b897e050c0093924f.jpg

20141214_190220_HDR.thumb.jpg.7d79571f0e5e1210c5a5fc9e6ee89b36.jpg

20141214_190240_HDR.thumb.jpg.0d39957a8426ac82218861df843a4cf4.jpg

20141214_190255_HDR.thumb.jpg.8df8f3ba740fb9d6e845547659d3f7cc.jpg

It's snow!!

20141214_190310_HDR.thumb.jpg.080905e86465bb6cd2dce75b739a8e65.jpg

More snow!!

fd31d.gif.2f83c287ca00d2f114c636595286f74a.gif

I should have stopped and filmed this but I had to run out and catch my flight.

Glad you enjoyed the park! The park went through a few years of questionable operations but for the last few years I feel like it's definitely been on the up and up. I was wondering if you like BBW more than Ninja because there is something after the 2nd lift on BBW? I have always felt that Ninja has a better sustained ride experience, but BBW is usually the winner when compared because it has a much better finale.

That was a lead-based paint that is no longer able to used due to EPA regulations.

Everyone, go lick Riddler's Revenge, NOW!

But in all seriousness, a little paint goes a long way in the intangible perception of the park by guests. As well-known figure known for growing parks stated very well during a session at IAAPA, paint is cheap with a high return on investment. Guests look at a facility and judge it based on the overall appearance more than the ride experiences themselves in many cases. Having a spruced up facility with fresh paint and maintained structures can fool guest into thinking that things are like new. Personally, walking up to any attraction that appears poorly cosmetically maintained even gives the trained eye of myself the expectation of a poor ride experience. For many others, faded/chipped paint or surface rust also gives an unsafe perception when actually mechanics are as sound as when the ride was new. Again, paint is cheap and has a high ROI.

I'm not a stickler for slightly faded or weathered attractions as I understand that painting is not budgeted at the top of priorities with the necessary mechanical needs. I also understand that time and resources are very limited to keep every attraction appearing "like new." But looking at something like Scream is just sad. I like to advocate for colors that fade well on coasters. A great example is Maverick. It has faded from the freshness of the inaugural season, but an overall perspective of the coaster is still very cosmetically appealing as it is a tone of red that doesn't turn pink too fast.

Everyone, go lick Riddler's Revenge, NOW!

But in all seriousness, a little paint goes a long way in the intangible perception of the park by guests. As well-known figure known for growing parks stated very well during a session at IAAPA, paint is cheap with a high return on investment. Guests look at a facility and judge it based on the overall appearance more than the ride experiences themselves in many cases. Having a spruced up facility with fresh paint and maintained structures can fool guest into thinking that things are like new. Personally, walking up to any attraction that appears poorly cosmetically maintained even gives the trained eye of myself the expectation of a poor ride experience. For many others, faded/chipped paint or surface rust also gives an unsafe perception when actually mechanics are as sound as when the ride was new. Again, paint is cheap and has a high ROI.

I'm not a stickler for slightly faded or weathered attractions as I understand that painting is not budgeted at the top of priorities with the necessary mechanical needs. I also understand that time and resources are very limited to keep every attraction appearing "like new." But looking at something like Scream is just sad. I like to advocate for colors that fade well on coasters. A great example is Maverick. It has faded from the freshness of the inaugural season, but an overall perspective of the coaster is still very cosmetically appealing as it is a tone of red that doesn't turn pink too fast.

that's one of the things that bugs me about SFMM. faded rides, poorly kept areas, gum all over the place.

i can't see any excuse to at least change the Scream sign/banner. lol

Glad you enjoyed the park! The park went through a few years of questionable operations but for the last few years I feel like it's definitely been on the up and up. I was wondering if you like BBW more than Ninja because there is something after the 2nd lift on BBW? I have always felt that Ninja has a better sustained ride experience, but BBW is usually the winner when compared because it has a much better finale.

i liked Big Bad Wolf better. but Ninja has that non stop action. what i like about the Arrow suspended coasters is how much it swings. i believe BBW had more of the high swings. and, like you said, the final drop was fun into the ravine. i like those two the best out of the four i've ridden. top gun/the bat and draggin iron the other two.