TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

Hersheypark has announced their 2020 expansion, Hershey's Chocolatetown!

New Region Featuring Arrival Experience, Coaster, Restaurants and Retail to open in Summer 2020

(Hershey, Pa. - October 3, 2018) - Inspired by the legacy of founder Milton S. Hershey, Hersheypark, the 121-acre amusement park in Hershey, Pa., announced a $150 million transformational expansion.

Opening in summer 2020, Hershey’s Chocolatetown is a new region at Hersheypark where guests can eat, play, shop and gather year round as part of the development of 23 acres.

“We are incredibly excited to enter this next chapter in the rich history of Hersheypark. Hershey’s Chocolatetown will mark the true intersection where fun meets chocolate,” said John Lawn, president and CEO of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts (HE&R). “Chocolatetown will be a place where chocolate-inspired attractions will transform the guest experience in new and engaging ways.”

Hershey’s Chocolatetown will feature several marquee elements:

• New Arrival Experience and Front Gate
  • 15th Coaster - Fastest, Tallest, Longest, Sweetest
  • Restaurant, Bar & Patio - Largest full-service themed restaurant in Hershey
  • Ice Cream Parlor and Confectionary Scratch Kitchen
  • 2,200-square-foot Starbucks® Store
  • Largest Kettle Corn location at Hersheypark
  • One-of-a-Kind KISSES Fountain
  • A new home for the Carrousel, turning 100 years old next year
  • Flagship Store with the largest collection of Hersheypark merchandise.

The investment of $150 million dollars into the 23-acre Hershey’s Chocolatetown development represents the largest capital investment and most transformative expansion in Hershey Entertainment & Resorts’ history.

“This will be a definitive project for Hersheypark, HE&R and our destination,” said Lawn. “Inspired by our visionary founder, we are so proud to be able to leverage our remarkable history and our shared iconic brand in creating a sense of place that you can only find in Hershey, Pa.”

Construction is slated to begin in January 2019 and Hersheypark will remain fully operational during the 2019 season as Chocolatetown comes to life for the summer of 2020.

More here: https://stories.hersheypa.com/hersheypark-announces--150-million-hersheys-chocolatetown-investment/

1247446935_ChocolatetownAerial.thumb.jpg.eac7dfbc3c62c22eef019a93eff91c2b.jpg

Image courtesy Hersheypark

814584875_ChocolatetownEntryPlaza.thumb.jpg.460df3294b5a5cf1f5b38d6bcb20e5cc.jpg

2093026466_ChocolatetownRestaurantInterior.thumb.jpg.2c78853e4a5fc95c38441e4a079cbfad.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

ok.. so it looks to me like they are re-doing Chocolate World, and enclosing it within the park bounderies now?

or is the giant factory / restaurant/ etc. . going to be a new building? or is this in a completely new area? (they mention developing the acres. . so maybe coming off the back of the park over by wildcat?)

I love Hershey's front entrance as is, but once this all grows in I'm sure it'll will look/feel awesome. And that definitely looks like a big new B&M hyper, ain't nothing wrong with that.

ok.. so it looks to me like they are re-doing Chocolate World, and enclosing it within the park bounderies now?

No, they are re-doing that front entrance area of the park where all the shops are just before you go through the turnstiles.

1464440055_ScreenShot2018-10-03at11_33_49AM.thumb.jpg.f83ea66952e60c37e7f6341b5062fe40.jpg

You can see Chocolate World is still a fair bit of distance away from the front entrance.

Closer look at the area being re-developed.

297978146_ScreenShot2018-10-03at11_34_07AM.thumb.png.640cda9448cec9ed8aa85f5d1664587c.png

This area here will be a much wider plaza area leading up to the park including some new shops and a new front entrance:

845307634_ScreenShot2018-10-03at11_38_19AM.thumb.png.689de3989044539522888a595854bdda.png

781562412_ScreenShot2018-10-03at11_38_06AM.thumb.png.724ff116f83cc2282519b7975fbde5ac.png

Edited by robbalvey

I like that they're following the Triple Tower format once again. Two hypercoasters right next to eachother (one to the left and one to the right) with one for daring, fun people and one for pussies who are afraid of the cool one.

Edited by coasterbill

Loving the concept art! I know some people have their horror stories but Hershey has never disappointed me. Can not wait to get more information on the new coaster.

Thankfully we didn't get another embarrassing NoLimits POV like we did for Skyrush and Fahrenheit

Still though, some info on the coaster would be nice, but I'm sure we'll get that in due time (it's in the simulation).

That front entrance area seems like it's going to be a mess for the next 1.5 years... I guess nothing worse than what they went through at DCA, but still... it'll be interesting to see how far down you have to go down the original entrance path until you get to an area that will be untouched by this expansion... Since they talked about a new Kettle Corn place and they are moving the Carousel, I have to imagine that all the way up to the Carousel Plaza will in some form be modified/upgraded...

Still though, some info on the coaster would be nice, but I'm sure we'll get that in due time (it's in the simulation).

Since they probably still want us all to focus on their 2019 new ride, I'm assuming the coaster info will probably come sometime next year.

This looks like a really nice development for the park and a great new opening statement for the park! I'm dying to get back to Hershey as so much has changed since my visit in 2008, but I'm thinking with this now in the works, I may wait until 2020 to plan my trip!

No, they are re-doing that front entrance area of the park where all the shops are just before you go through the turnstiles.

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.33.49 AM.jpg[/attachment]

You can see Chocolate World is still a fair bit of distance away from the front entrance.

Closer look at the area being re-developed.

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2018-10-03 at 11.34.07 AM.png[/attachment]

That really clarifies it, thanks Robb!

(what was throwing me is the new restaurant shop building looked similar to me in design of the current chocolate world - which, come to think of it, makes total sense. . keep that style for the design of the two big buildings near that side of the park).

really happy no need to worry about the Dark Ride going away!

Awesome addition!

I like that they're following the Triple Tower format once again. Two hypercoasters right next to eachother (one to the left and one to the right) with one for daring, fun people and one for pussies who are afraid of the cool one.

I laughed way too hard at this.

I see nothing wrong with a second hyper that will offer a much different feeling ride.

I see nothing wrong with a second hyper that will offer a much different feeling ride.

I don't either (I'm sure it'll be a ton of fun), but it still seems really, really weird to me.

It may be a tad redundant, but I'm not complaining! Hershey's lineup is solid as hell and I can't wait to get out there again in 2020.

To me, it's still not as weird as Leviathan/Behemoth or Fury/Intimiadator

IMO, Leviathan and Fury do offer "different" experiences than their hyper-counterparts....

But that "difference", mainly lying in them simply being better...

Having an ejector air-time hyper in Skyrush and then a more graceful B&M hyper will be quite a dynamic duo.

I don't think there can ever be a more dynamic duo than MF and Magnum though...

Edited by Intamin_coyote

Pretty much everything from Hospitality Services out to slightly past where the Tram Circle currently is, is where the development is going to be taking place. Take notice that there is no hill that you have to walk down, enter the park and then walk up another and there are some seriously high walls bordering the creek on the other side of the new fountain.

I honestly don't know where to begin with this as there is literally so much to unpack! I consider the coaster to just be the icing on the cake as I've been just excited for the new entrance! I'm not really expecting an earth-shattering coaster, but something along the lines of an experience similar to Gatekeeper and I think this nails it. I can't wait to watch this whole project get built!

Edited by Ccron10