The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Pg 5042 - CraZanity Announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby MagicMountainMan » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:41 pm

edgeboy wrote:So.... will it have a single rider line?

Yes, but only after the second show holding room. You still have to wait in the regular line up until that point, then there is a single rider split after you wave hi to Cyborg.

And there are two preshow rooms, the Hall of Justice entry room and the Cyborg room. Both are holding pens so they funnel people into the first room and you watch the video playing and take selfies with the Justice League statues. Then the doors open and you're greeted by Cyborg and watch the second pre show. Once that's finished the second set of doors open and you head into the main station. Unlike the pre show rooms there are actually switchbacks in the station area.

Basically it's like how the Terminator Salvation queue was supposed to work, but actually thought out. So hopefully it actually functions correctly as everything is supposed to be automatically timed with the ride. So we'll see...

I Love Donkeys!

Postby SFMMFan76 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:49 pm

MagicMountainMan wrote:
edgeboy wrote:So.... will it have a single rider line?

Yes, but only after the second show holding room. You still have to wait in the regular line up until that point, then there is a single rider split after you wave hi to Cyborg.

And there are two preshow rooms, the Hall of Justice entry room and the Cyborg room. Both are holding pens so they funnel people into the first room and you watch the video playing and take selfies with the Justice League statues. Then the doors open and you're greeted by Cyborg and watch the second pre show. Once that's finished the second set of doors open and you head into the main station. Unlike the pre show rooms there are actually switchbacks in the station area.

Basically it's like how the Terminator Salvation queue was supposed to work, but actually thought out. So hopefully it actually functions correctly as everything is supposed to be automatically timed with the ride. So we'll see...

Thanks for the help responding. Just got home from the park. Were you there tonight to ride? I rode it twice, and didn't get top score either time. I did finally get to meet Bonnie though.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Lotologist492 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:10 pm

Superbatboy wrote:The queue and pre show areas really look top notch. I didn't get that same vibe from the one in Texas.

Having been on both the Texas and Georgia versions, I agree with the Texas version not seeming to be as good. That may be due to the fact the Texas version (along with St Louis) were first generation versions, using existing structures to house the attraction. (The Texas building used to be "The Right Stuff" 4D motion simulator and St Louis was previously Scooby Doo Ghost Blasters.) The design team had to do lots of improvising to shoehorn the JL ride into those buildings. All JL clones built after that used brand new purpose-built structures. I see a huge difference between TX and the new GA version that opened earlier this year, especially in the queue / pre-show. I can only imagine how much better the SFMM edition will be, with the extra scenes and all. I was at SFMM two weeks ago and had a blast! Lines were short for most rides but I was bummed the JL was not completed.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Caliboy718 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:00 am

I was there today as well. I didn't get to ride, but I did get to snap a pic of the line outside during the employee/media preview. Some of my cousin's friends who work at SFMM give the ride two thumbs up!
IMG_E2342.JPG
Most of the dirt and scaffolding are gone. This area is going to look great when it's finished! (Hopefully)
Sure, why not?

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby Freestyle23 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 am

After the power outage that happened in the San Fernando Valley/West La Saturday evening I was just thinking what happens if power goes out at amusement parks? I'm sure they have some generators right but what happens to a coaster during the ride, automatic stop at the next break run? Has anything like that happen before?

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:50 am

Freestyle23 wrote:but what happens to a coaster during the ride, automatic stop at the next break run? Has anything like that happen before?

Yes and yes.
Maverick - El Toro - Skyrush - Superman The Ride - I305
TRs: KW/CP / SFOG / KD/BGW / HP / SFA / SFNE/LC

I'm 39 and can't find the Shift Key

Postby fatdaddy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:21 am

Theme Park Review was invited to preview and take some of the first rides on Justice League: Battle for Metropolis and I have to say I was impressed. The thinking is always that Six Flags doesn't do dark rides and I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was far better than I could have imagined. Now, I've only ridden this version of the ride (as opposed to those at other Six Flags parks), but from those who have ridden other versions this is said to be much better.

There is still work to be done in the Metropolis area, but it has undergone a tremendous amount of work over the past week and looks like it should be done by opening on the 12th. This was "technical rehearsal" and there were some glitches and a ride breakdown or two, but that should be sorted out by opening. There is a lot going on during the ride and some of the things that apparently didn't work weren't even noticeable. The interior is done, some work left on the facade, landscaping, few details, and the Metropolis area along with JL:BFM will be a great addition to the park.

My thoughts on the ride? The queue was very well themed and the preshow was short and sweet, including an animatronic Cyborg. The ride is not just a cruise through some targets, the cars spins and moves, there's a feeling of speed during some of the 3D portions, and several animatronics. The guns give feedback in the form of vibration, and your beam is colored, so no guessing where you are shooting. The 3D was good, graphics were a little cartoony, but it aided in the comic book feel of the ride. The ride car itself was comfortable, and I fit easily (I ain't small). The overall ride experience was very good, you come out wishing it was a little longer, and then the bonus Harley Quinn animatronic give you that little extra kick you needed. In any case, check it out opening day July 12th, you won't be disappointed!

And pictures...

jlf1.JPG

jlf2.JPG

jlf3.JPG

jlf4.JPG

jlf5.JPG

jlf6.JPG

jlf7.JPG

jlf8.JPG

jlf9.JPG

jlf10.JPG

jlf11.JPG

jlf12.JPG

jlf13.JPG

jlf14.JPG

jlf15.JPG

jlf16.JPG

jlf18.JPG

There will be a more complete report from the press event to come, but this preview should get you excited to ride. Thanks to
Six Flags Magic Mountain for inviting us and giving us the opportunity to experience JL:BFM during it's first run. Great addition to the park, check it out July 12th!
WHO'S YOUR DADDY?

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Six flags magic mountain - gold or platinum flash pass?

Postby t-forty » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:08 am

Acemachine, here's a few more tips

It will probably be hot. Expect 90 degrees. They allow you to bring in water bottles, but no other drinks. Vendors inside will fill up with cold water. Or just ask for cups of water.

3.Need some tips on what days to visit -
Avoid the weekends and try to go weekdays. Do not pre purchase the Flash Pass. See what the crowds are like first, then decide. Most kids are back to school by then so it shouldn't be too crowded. If you must go on a Sat, you'll probably have to buy the Flash pass. Hard to say which ones to ride first because they don't tend to open most rides the first hour when the gates open. Go figure! I try to see what rides are running as I'm walking from the parking lot and game plan around that. Tatsu and YOLOcoaster are usually running at opening. SFMM's layout is basically a huge loop. If YOLOcoaster is running at opening, get on that. If not, go to Tatsu by taking the Honda Express (Orient Express) to the top of the hill. This will get you near the Tatsu entrance. Must ride the front row for the view. You can probably get another ride in the last row before the line builds up. You definitely want to experience the force of the pretzel loop in the back row. In this area, you can hit Ninja,Superman Apocalypse. Continue to get to Riddler, Green Lantern, and Batman. Then Colossus, Scream, Drop of Doom, Goliath. By now you should be in the early afternoon and the lines for YOLOcoaster and X2 should be shorter. Might as well get Revolution and Viper since you're nearby. Then go for re-rides on your favorites.

4. Is the front row the best for all the rides?
Tatsu, X2, Batman are musts for the front. The inside seats of X2 is A LOT less rough than the outside seats. Ride the back for Colossus, YOLOcoaster (you'll see why at the end), and Goliath. Tatsu and X2 are good in the back if you don't mind the forces and some roughness. Everything else is preference.

5. What would be the best place to stay on a budget? Any cheap motels nearby?
Can't help you on cheap. I usually stay at the Embassy. About $125-150/night. They have an excellent free breakfast and the free bus that takes you directly to the park has a stop in front.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm

I enjoyed the version at Great America so I'm glad to hear people think this one is even better. It's still hard for me to believe Six Flags is finally building good dark rides.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Looks great so far! This thing should be a huge hit with the GP. I'll probably sit out until the crowds die down as it's not my cup of blood (even though I love dark rides), but it'll be good to see that area buzzing with people again.

PreviousNext