TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

^I'm not sure but I feel like Knoebels doesn't need GCI to retrack a station and pre-lift. Didn't Lenny Adams of Adams Amusements take care of Phoenix retracking in previous years? He does amazing work and I'm pretty sure he has strong ties with Knoebels. I personally know the work he has done at Conneaut Lake Park is very impressive considering the budget that park is working with. When I rode Phoenix just after its retrack it was PERFECT so whoever did that job completely owned it!

Twister's been running incredibly well for years now, they re-track major sections of both rides each offseason. Some of my rides on Twister this year made me seriously question whether or not it was the best wood coaster in the park for awhile... but then I rode Phoenix again.

Twister's been running incredibly well for years now, they re-track major sections of both rides each offseason. Some of my rides on Twister this year made me seriously question whether or not it was the best wood coaster in the park for awhile... but then I rode Phoenix again.

I think if Twister wasn't in such an out-of-the-way area of the park it would have a much longer line.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Knoebels announces new ride

Elysburg – Knoebels Amusement Resort officials announced today that a new ride will be ready for the 2017 season.

Over The Top, which is scheduled for a late spring or early summer debut as the only ride of its kind set for operation in the state this year, will reach more than 21 feet in height when in operation. It will provide riders with an over the top motion while standing and will send riders both clockwise and counterclockwise, according to a press release provided by park spokesperson Stacy Ososkie.

The ride drawing is featured in the 2017 park brochure, which debuted at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg this weekend.

America’s largest free-admission amusement park announced that the addition is brand new, but longtime visitors might recognize some characteristics of a former ride. According to Dick Knoebel, the ride, which has been given the name by Knoebels, stood out to the Knoebel family at an industry expo in November.

“One of the reasons it caught our attention is that it gives riders a sensation similar to that of the old Flying Cages,” said Knoebel. “In addition, we received the stamp of approval from younger family members who never experienced the Cages and still spoke highly of the thrill.”

Knoebel is referring to the Flying Cages, or Cages, that operated at Knoebels from 1964 until the park’s Handstamp Building was constructed in 1986. A rider was challenged to shift their weight back and forth inside the cage, while standing, in an attempt to make the cage go ‘over the top.’ Visitors can find one of the original Cages in the Knoebels History Museum, and during its Hallo-Fun event, when a Cage reemerges as a decoration.

Though riders will not be tasked with propelling the new ride, the ‘over the top’ motion will be part of the rider experience, as will the fact that riders will be standing. The ride will have a Cages-like theme at Knoebels, and will move both clockwise and counterclockwise.

Ososkie said Over the Top will be located in the area of Wipeout, Fandango, Cub Cars rides, and the Monkey Madness game.

“There was a lot of interest on our Facebook teaser posts questioning whether or not we’re removing anything to make way for the new ride,” said Ososkie. “Visitors might notice some repositioning, but we’re happy to have enough space to keep everything and will hopefully bring even more interest to all of the other fun to be had in that area.”

Visitors need to be at least 48 inches in height to ride Over the Top.

The Daily Item (who?)

As soon as I saw this thing I figured they had a good chance of buying it because of it's similarity to the flying cages... I can't wait to try it out!

One of my favorite things about stand-up coasters is the feeling of going upside down while standing. I think you feel it a lot more because you have a higher center of gravity, or something. So I look forward to trying this!

These don't go upside-down or anything. It's supposed to be a tame family ride. I still think it seems fun though, since it's like an upgraded version of those moby dick rides.

One of my favorite things about stand-up coasters is the feeling of going upside down while standing. I think you feel it a lot more because you have a higher center of gravity, or something. So I look forward to trying this!

These don't go upside-down or anything. It's supposed to be a tame family ride. I still think it seems fun though, since it's like an upgraded version of those moby dick rides.

What park has one of these? Is there video somewhere?

From IAPPA this year:

Huh, well that's slightly disappointing. Still, the people on it seem to be enjoying themselves enough. Wouldn't it still classify as a thrill ride with a 48 inch height restriction?

Can anyone who was at IAAPA comment on how it rides? It moves pretty quick, seems like you might get some good stomach-butterfly-feelings going over the top.

Edited by neil009