TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

I'm planning a trip to Knoebel's for July, and I think my plan to save money is going to be packing a tent and sleeping bag and staying in the campground. It's not usually crazy hot there in the summer, right? I'm sure it's warm, but not like 70-80 degrees at night hot like where I'm from.

For the record, it's still $50/night to camp there, whereas local hotels rent rooms for $70-80. That price difference isn't enough for me to justify suffering through the horrific nightmare of sleeping in a tent, but if you're one of those masochists who doesn't mind it, it may be worth it enough for you. Just keep it in mind if you haven't already.

I can't wait to go here in June. Is it a better option to buy an all day wristband? I know we're doing Flying Turns cause that looked just awesome from videos of it on youtube. I've been reading the past few options and learned a lot about it.

If you're going on a weekend in June, pay-one-price plans are not available. If you're going on a weekday, lines should be fairly short so you should be able to get your money's worth out of a pay-one-price plan. You should also plan on buying enough tickets to ride the haunted house, since that does not take the wristband/hand-stamp.

Regardless of when you go, get your hand-stamp if they're selling them and head to Flying Turns first thing since its capacity isn't the best. Impulse can also have rather low capacity depending on how many cars they're running.

I can't wait to go here in June. Is it a better option to buy an all day wristband? I know we're doing Flying Turns cause that looked just awesome from videos of it on youtube. I've been reading the past few options and learned a lot about it.

Just ride everything. The highlights (IMO) are the coasters, AtmosFEAR, Flyers, Scooters, Haunted Mansion, Black Diamond, Scenic Skyway, Sky Slide, Downdraft, Fandango, Power Surge and the Log Flume but everything is awesome (well, except Looper and Satellite depending on your tolerance for pain, lol).

If you're going on a weekend in June, pay-one-price plans are not available. If you're going on a weekday, lines should be fairly short so you should be able to get your money's worth out of a pay-one-price plan. You should also plan on buying enough tickets to ride the haunted house, since that does not take the wristband/hand-stamp.

Regardless of when you go, get your hand-stamp if they're selling them and head to Flying Turns first thing since its capacity isn't the best. Impulse can also have rather low capacity depending on how many cars they're running.

Is Friday considered a weekend here?

Edit: Disregard. It seems I'm going on an SB* day. What a confusing ticketing system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre- and post-season, they do the pay-one-price because weekends are the only days that they're open. All other weeks, pay-one-price is weekdays only.

The S-B-Star as marked on the calendar:

Star - means that pay-one-price and after-4PM wristbands are available for the rides and rides plus coasters

B - means that it's a bargain night (Wed and Fri), where you can get a heavily discounted wristband for the rides but not the coasters after 6PM

S - means that they're offering discounts for school groups of 50 or more

It's not confusing, it's that on certain days, they have some extra options. I consider that a positive.

Pre- and post-season, they do the pay-one-price because weekends are the only days that they're open. All other weeks, pay-one-price is weekdays only.

The S-B-Star as marked on the calendar:

Star - means that pay-one-price and after-4PM wristbands are available for the rides and rides plus coasters

B - means that it's a bargain night (Wed and Fri), where you can get a heavily discounted wristband for the rides but not the coasters after 6PM

S - means that they're offering discounts for school groups of 50 or more

It's not confusing, it's that on certain days, they have some extra options. I consider that a positive.

I agree that it's a positive. However, having to look up what S B Star means in a key is certainly more confusing than the pricing plans of other parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm planning a trip to Knoebel's for July, and I think my plan to save money is going to be packing a tent and sleeping bag and staying in the campground. It's not usually crazy hot there in the summer, right? I'm sure it's warm, but not like 70-80 degrees at night hot like where I'm from.

Nights usually get cool, but be forewarned that the campground next to the park sells out early in the summer (in particular on weekends). They have the other one nearby that is may be more likely to not sell out that also provides a shuttle.

Or....you could be more adventurous like us and stay at the Indian Head campground:

Trip Report

I wonder if it has "improved" any since we were there in 2010.

It all depends on the pace that you and your party are going to take in the rides. If you are a marathon rider and/or plan to stay all day the Pay One Price wristband is worth it when available. If you are going to move at a leisurely pace (or for limited hours), the tickets could be a better deal.

It's easy to figure out how much riding you have to do to make the wristband worth it. The prices for each ride are listed. If what you anticipate riding far exceeds the price of a wristband, you get the wristband.

• 3 weeks later...

Visited the grove yesterday and had an excellent day, as usual! I swear this place can do no wrong. Phoenix was really hauling through the course delivering more airtime than I've ever had! It was so intense that I flew higher than the seat divider! Of course I nearly fractured my butthole when gravity kicked back in but it was awesome!

Speaking of things running more intense than I've felt before, the bumper cars! We spent about an hour re-riding and every time was bone-shaking in the best way! I was two-wheeling it all over the arena from the chaos. Some poor schmuck got rocked so hard their lens flew out of their glasses and landed on the floor! Best bumper cars around is just scratching the surface. These things are downright mean and the most fun I'll ever have at a park! Does that make me a masochist?

The haunted house had some TLC in the off season, it seems. Granted I've not been to the park in a few years (living out in Vegas and all that jazz) but everything was looking nice and spiffy!

The rest of the park was fantastic, as always, and I can't wait to head back up that way soon.

^ Great review!

That's awesome news about Skooters as it brings back some fond memories...

I remember Michael getting his Red Sox hat knocked off him about five seconds into the ride on a t-bone. If I recall, it was a woman in her 70's and she just giggled and then drove off. Even funnier when a little girl then ran the hat over while giggling even more than the older lady.

From then on out, I was literally in tears for the rest of the ride.

One of the most fun (if not THE most fun) flat ride in the world, IMO.

Dang! I have GOT to get on these bumper cars!!!

My current plan (which will probably fall apart, but you've got to at least start with a plan, right?) is to go to Knoebels finally for PPP this year. Here's hoping it pans out this time!

I highly recommend PPP. I hate enthusiast events with a passion but this event has a lot of non enthusiasts there which makes it a lot of fun. We go every year so if the plan doesn't fall apart, maybe we'll run into you.

I'm here for the first time in 22 years. Phoenix is amazing and may be my new favorite coaster. How did I not fly out of that when I was 9? How are they allowed to run that without seatbelts? It's amazing... Love it.

I rode the sky slide thing with the twist stairs. Always wanted to do one since playing RCT as a child. It was a bit embarrassing going up there as an adult with no kid but still very fun.

Satellite - I remember riding this as a kid and I have a bad memory of being thrown around the cagenuncontrollably. I can't believe it's still here. Scared me to ride it but I'm glad I did.

Black Diamond? I rode this as Golden Nugget (?) At Dinosaur Beach! Great so see it's been ressurected.

Loving the park so far! Any food recommendations?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Any food recommendations?

Don't worry everyone, I'm here.

Go get yourself some Perogies. Please consult the Perogie map below. This is the ONLY PLACE where you should get the Perogies. The other Perogie places are imposters.

^Keep in mind tickets are discounted by 10% on weekdays.

Also you can usually buy $20 ticket book vouchers for $16 at local Weis super markets which is 20% off in park prices. You just redeem your voucher for the tickets at the park.

^Keep in mind tickets are discounted by 10% on weekdays.

Also you can usually buy $20 ticket book vouchers for $16 at local Weis super markets which is 20% off in park prices. You just redeem your voucher for the tickets at the park.

Thanks for the reminder on this, I haven't been to the park on a non-wristband day in forever so when I took the kiddo this past weekend, I stopped off at the Weis in Catawissa to take advantage of that. Easy as pie. I may have overbought though because now I have three unused ticket books in my bag leftover.

FWIW, Over the Top is not open yet. Looks like it's going right over by the kiddie go-karts and Fandango; they have a foundation poured so far but not much else is ready.

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone at work hates it when they get sent to Central PA. I love it since I can stop at Knoebels on the way.

I was the only one on the Flyer and once I got 3-4 snaps in a row the op slowed the ride down. From that point I tried to avoid snapping which was incredibly tough to do.

But the highlight so far was seeing 3 idiots get kicked off the Skooters. After driving in reverse trying to cause head on collisions. The way they ran off like they hit a homer to win the World Series was both funny and sad at the same time.

EDIT- Got a different op on the flyer when I returned. Let's just say my ride was even better.