Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 69 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby ScreaminNewEngland » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:20 am

ElToroMillieniumForce wrote:Some more details emerge with an eyewitness quoted. Link

SANDUSKY -- A cable on the swing ride Skyhawk snapped on Saturday night at Cedar Point, injuring two park guests.

Around 10 p.m., a cable attached to one of the ride's carriages broke loose.

The cable struck two different people and the park's emergency personnel where immediately called.

One of the injured was treated and released at the park. The other was transported to a local hospital.

Season ticket holder Tom Achtziger and his two kids were on the ride at the time.

Achtziger said in an email, "It was awful. When the cable broke they didn't stop the ride. They shut down the power and the ride kept swinging, letting gravity take over...meanwhile the cable was whipping around smacking the ride and destroying things on the ground. We are all lucky that there were no more serious injuries."

He managed to snap a few photos from his seat on the ride: "Some of these pictures were taken while we were still trapped in our seats as the ride would not release the safety belts."

The ride was immediately shut down. Cedar Point spokesman Bryan Edwards said the ride will remain closed until the park completes an investigation.

Oh snap!
Yankee Cannonball <3

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Jantzen73 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:29 am

Updated pics from article posted earlier.
1406471581000-IMG-3306.JPG
Crews on scene after cord snaps on the Skyhawk ride
1406471836000-IMG-3300.JPG
The ride's broken cable resting on the ground nearby
1406471916000-IMG-3297.JPG
The upper area of the swing, where the cable broke loose
1406472108000-IMG-3296.JPG
The broken cable hanging near passengers still sitting on the ride's carriage
1406473185000-IMG-3304.JPG
The broken cable draped over the passenger seats on Skyhawk
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @jantzen73

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:52 am

Can't imagine how shocked the riders felt! Airtime, airtime, airtime, cable :wtf:

Does Valleyfair's Screaming Swing have the same issues?

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby Jantzen73 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:22 am

Another update

Sandusky, Ohio -- A New Jersey man who was at Cedar Point last night said he heard "something whip, then bang and screaming," just after a cable broke on the popular Skyhawk ride, injuring two.

Kevin Gregg, who was near the ride but not on it when the accident occurred, said at least one of the injured guests was a spectator who was hit in the mouth with wood debris.

"It didn't look too serious, but he was in pain," said Gregg, of Barnegat, N.J., who runs an amusement park fan website called Themeparkmaniacs.com.

Gregg said he saw a second guest, a girl, get into an ambulance after the accident. "She walked on her own power," he said.

In a statement early this morning, Cedar Point said two guests were injured in the accident, one of whom was transported to a local hospital for evaluation.

The fence in front of the now-shuttered Skyhawk ride at Cedar Point has already been mended, less than a day after a cable on the ride broke, injuring two.

In an updated statement this afternoon, Cedar Point spokesman Bryan Edwards said that the transported guest was treated and released.

According to Cedar Point's initial statement:
"At approximately 10 p.m., a cable on one of the Skyhawk swing ride's carriages disconnected. The ride's crew immediately shut down the ride and notified the park's emergency personnel. The cable came in contact with two guests. One was treated and released at the scene. As a precaution, the other was transported to a local hospital for evaluation."

Gregg, who was standing near the roller coaster Maverick when the accident occurred, said, "After the cable broke, the ride slowed down and eventually stopped. Everyone was screaming and very scared."

He said the cable broke the fence in front of the ride – where spectators often stand as they watch the ride's two giant arms swing back and forth, up to 125 feet high and at speeds of up to 60 mph.

The cable, he said, was hanging over the ride when the ride stopped. Gregg sent two photos to The Plain Dealer this morning – one showing the shuttered ride, with a cable missing on its left carriage/arm; the other with a newly mended fence in front of the ride.

Gregg was at the park this morning and said everything, except Skyhawk, appeared to be operating as usual.

Park fans on social media this morning suspected this might be the final straw for Skyhawk, which has been sidelined with mechanical problems in the past. The ride was installed in 2006.

Edwards, the Cedar Point spokesman, said Skyhawk's problems in 2013, when it was shut down for weeks, were unrelated to the broken cable last night.
Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @jantzen73

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Coaster19 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:31 am

^great update. Thank you!!
...make today a glorious day, you never know who you will influence...

Just Another Life Experience

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby CoasterGuy2000 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:36 am

I'm going to the park on Tuesday and I was wondering what the crowds will be like. Also I won't be getting Fast Lane so what general order should I ride in?
Top 5: Boulder Dash, Magnum, Phantom's Revenge, Goliath (SFOG), El Toro

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:19 pm

Wow the evil intamin cable has been giving lessons to his S&S fellows! :lol:
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Intimidator305 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:25 pm

SkyHawk is the best flat ride at Cedar Point, it's a shame it has so many problems.

Portugal needs more old-school B&M's!!!

Postby rcjp » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:28 pm

^How often does it have problems? I went there for two days in August last year and it was always closed.
The Mr Freeze coasters should have speakers playing the sentence: "Let's kick some ice!" right before each launch

What does one say after riding a Batman clone?
The G force is strong with this one.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby GigaG » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 pm

rcjp wrote:^How often does it have problems? I went there for two days in August last year and it was always closed.

I believe that last year or maybe the year before (probably not) there was a cable accident during test runs (with the opposite swing that had a snap here) resulting in the ride being closed for much of the year and only running one swing for the rest.
"Official" Cedar Fair fanboy!
Favorite Steel: Maverick|Favorite Wood: El Toro, Goliath is close behind|Favorite non-prefab/RMC woodie: Hard to say. Probably Shivering Timbers or Georgia Cyclone
Favorite Flats (in no particular order) - MoA NU Brain Surge, Chance Chaos, Flying Scooters, drop towers
I take a stand against unnecessary neutering of rides. Restore Revolution, Blue Streak, Dorney Thunderhawk, Raging Bull, etc...

PreviousNext