TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Its insanely painful you go slamming into the front of the car if you don't brace yourself. When the ride opened It had plates instead of up-stop wheels which caused it to slow on the return but now its faster and can barely stop. Plus it isn't supposed to have to stop in the first place but sometimes dispatch is slower.

• Replies 49.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check out this amazing photo compliments of Dave Morgan!! 

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it ou

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

Posted Images

I will try and clear this up as I have a good friend who works at the ride. Magnum has two sets of brakes, the safety brakes and the ready brakes. The safety brakes are the brakes that slow you down directly after the final tunnel. The ready brakes are the ones you stop on right before the station.

Typically, the ride almost never stops on the safety brakes. However, if something is happening on the station (guest doesn't fit, scared child, throw up, etc) that slows dispatch, there will be a train in the station and the ready brakes. If this is the case, the ride will stop on the safety brakes. Since you have a lot of speed and not a lot of time to slow down, you slam into these brakes pretty hard. Its actually pretty painful. These brakes have to be manually released once the train on the ready brakes has moved into the station and the block becomes available. For whatever reason, this procedure (that only takes moments) needs to be logged as downtime with the park. This is why you see Magnum's crew rushing everybody and hustling non-stop.

TLDR:

Safety Brakes: brakes after tunnel. Train only stops there when stacking two trains. Hurts a lot.

Ready Brakes: brakes right before station. Supposed to stop there.

Great explanation.

On my last trip to the park I had my first stop on the safety brakes, and yes, it was very painful. Just like if you get stopped on Gemini's brakerun if there are trains still in the station.

^ Wow- I believe this is the first physical proof that SOMETHING may happen to Manyis in 2015. Even if its just paint freshening of the same colors, which is not what's happening. Still not sold on floorless trains though.

Hello King James! I like your new green color scheme!

And this was a while back, but remember that guy that posted on this forum a couple months ago saying that he claimed he knew what was coming to Cedar Point, and that it will involve a change in mantis for the better? He said something like that. But anyway, no one believed him really. It looks like he might end up being right after all.

Hello King James! I like your new green color scheme!

And this was a while back, but remember that guy that posted on this forum a couple months ago saying that he claimed he knew what was coming to Cedar Point, and that it will involve a change in mantis for the better? He said something like that. But anyway, no one believed him really. It looks like he might end up being right after all.

I remember that guy! "MARK... MY... WORDS!!!" He seemed like the kind of guy in a tinfoil hat preaching that the end is near at the time... but let's not forget he also mentioned something happening to Raptor. Soo maybe he's half right for now... but I do believe Raptor has begun to fade just a bit, so maybe a refresh is possible? But I wouldn't get my hopes up because that's just a rumor from MONTHS ago. MARK MY WORDS

I have to admit that sit-down seats might just make Mantis a better coaster, at least through the first part of the ride.

It would be better if they could reprofile the second half though to make the ride layout more enjoyable as I would imagine that those hard banks and corkscrews toward the end of the ride would still be pretty brutal - even with sit-down coaster trains.

I really hope they get floorless trains. Then it would be worth the drive up there

Wow! The only thing that would make the drive to CP worth it is if Mantis got floorless trains?!!!! wtf

Yes, tbh. I've been there before, and I prefer Kings Island. Unlike most people.

^^ I don't think the layout needs to be redone it's the dam trains with the shoulder harness right next to your head that make the second part feel like a boxing match.

^ ^But the OTSR's for the sit-down B&M trains on Bizarro, Scream, etc...aren't much different therefore you would still get the same TKO effect as you would with the stand-up trains.

^ Vest restraints could be nice, but would be something totally new for B&M.

Mantis isn't an airtime machine, so it wouldn't be taking away from anything. Ever since they've allowed some play in the Gatekeeper vests, I've been able to move around just fine. The extreme restrictive-ness is only when they're locked.

^Wearing those vests feels like you're holding a baby during the ride. I prefer lap bars Every other company is installing lap bars, even Intamin on it's 10 inversion coaster in Italy. It's the way to go. B&M are way behind here.