Tallest coaster you've been on.

What is it?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Re: Tallest coaster you've been on.

Postby coloradocoasterguy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:30 pm

TheCoasterKid211 wrote:Kingda Ka, but with the opening of SkyScraper coming soon, that will soon change. ;)

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop. I went on the coaster on Stratosphere in Vegas. It's over 900 feet up but there are no drops. As fart as the coaster itself, it's essentially a kiddie coaster. Even being that high up wasn't any more scary than standing on an observation platform.

Now, Stratosphere should put an Intamin drop ride on their tower. It would be decades before anyone ever built a taller one.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:54 pm

coloradocoasterguy wrote:
TheCoasterKid211 wrote:Kingda Ka, but with the opening of SkyScraper coming soon, that will soon change. ;)

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop.

I'm with you 100%! I still feel like counting SkyScraper the same way one would count Millennium Force or Fury, is extremely sketchy! :?r Heck, I always clarify the difference between traditional lift hill coasters (like the aforementioned) and TTD, KK, because I feel like the height on those coasters is more of a gimmick, than something really notable. They're really all about the speed, and the high top hat is just a way to burn it off...

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby coloradocoasterguy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:18 pm

DILinator wrote:
coloradocoasterguy wrote:

Shouldn't count as there is no drop. What does it matter how high in the air you are if you don't experience that height with a drop.

I'm with you 100%! I still feel like counting SkyScraper the same way one would count Millennium Force or Fury, is extremely sketchy! :?r Heck, I always clarify the difference between traditional lift hill coasters (like the aforementioned) and TTD, KK, because I feel like the height on those coasters is more of a gimmick, than something really notable. They're really all about the speed, and the high top hat is just a way to burn it off...

You got me thinking. Some might say, well at least with KK and TTD you fall 400 feet. But do you really get that experience when it isn't a true drop? Would probably be more fun without the twist. The twist acts to slow you down.

I'm WAY cooler than Henry M.

Postby Lameformer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:42 pm

Superman: Escape From Krypton
Life is like a roller coaster- it has its ups, its downs, its heartline rolls, its batwings, its immelmanns, its corkscrews, is pretzel loops, its..... never mind.

Credits: 56
1.Twisted Colossus 2.X2 3.Tatsu 4.Xcelerator 5.GhostRider 6.YOLOcoaster 7.Superman: Escape From Krypton 8.Rock N Roller Coaster 9.Riddler's Revenge 10.Batman: The Ride

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby LiftThrill » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:53 pm

At the moment, Millennium Force. TTD comes tomorrow when we can use FL+
1. Fury 325 | 2. Millennium Force | 3. New Texas Giant | 4. Outlaw Run | 5. Maverick | 6. Twisted Cyclone | 7. Iron Rattler | 8. The Voyage | 9. Goliath (SFGAm) | 10. Time Traveler

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby mordecai-75 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:23 pm

Fury 325

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Physical » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:56 pm

Kingda Ka, but I consider that a thrill ride, so we're gonna go with Fury 325, with a runner up of Intimidator 305.
Former Dorney Park ride operator - 2015 season - Demon Drop | Card carrying member of Flyers Addicts Anonymous
Steel: 102, Wood: 33, Total: 135, Parks: 17, Favorite Park: Knoebels
Love List: (Steel) Intimidator 305, Fury 325, Maverick, Afterburn | (Wood) Steel Vengeance, Twisted Timbers, Lightning Rod, El Toro, Thunderhead | (Flats) Flyers, Power Surge, Top Spin

Postby Password121 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:52 am

I'm gonna be honest, you guys are really going way over my head saying Kingda Ka isn't a coaster or that you need a lift hill to count a drop. I'm not one to say that "anything that wants to be a coaster, is!" but seriously?

Side note--the twist on Dragster/Ka doesn't slow the train. Those would be the brakes. It's just a cool visual effect, basically.
2017 Millennium Force Ride Host
2018 Millennium Force Team Leader

Postby DILinator » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 am

I would never say Kingda Ka isn't a coaster (it is), and certainly a drop is a drop is a drop. However, my point is that the whole "top hat to reach record breaking heights", or "coaster winding down a tower gradually" don't hold a candle to an actual lift hill, followed by a drop of nearly the same height, when it comes to really experiencing what it's like to: a) be really high up on a coaster, and b) plummet straight down towards the ground, without distracting twists or curving around a tower. And again, this is how I feel, personally, and how I break things down. Every enthusiast or GP can have their own opinion on the matter, and every enthusiast or GP is right!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:58 am

Currently it is Top Thrill Dragster, however I will be riding Kingda Ka in the coming weeks.
Steel: 172 / Wood: 32 / Total: 204
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)
Favorite Coaster: Intimidator 305

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!