The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

P. 76 - Placement of Adirondack Outlaw will be moved
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Does Zamperla offer a shorter version? Even 25-30 feet shorter, it'd still be plenty thrilling if they like the placement.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- NASCAR SpeedPark & Carowinds- Fall

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby booink » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:17 pm

^It seems like there is a model available that is 40 meters high (roughly 130 feets), which would respect the height limit. Vomatron on the manufacturer's website. If it isn't too late for TGE to modify their order maybe this could be a good compromise.
Favorites :
Steel : Maverick, Wicked Cyclone, Superman: the ride (SFNE)
Wood : El Toro, Phoenix, Lightning Racers
Total coaster count : 137

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby MoreyMan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 pm

It seems like they may have expected some pushback and a longer approval process as they haven't gone to the board for approval before Jan 1st in some time. I'd be surprised if they end up moving the ride or changing plans, as the residents come out in full force to argue against anything the park adds.

Here's the link to the site plans for the ride (confirming it will go next to Desperado Plunge and the old Red Garter Saloon will be torn down), along with documents that actually show that even though the ride is 160 feet, if you combine the ride height with the ground elevation, it will still sit lower than Sasquatch. And I'm pretty sure Sasquatch is pretty much unseen from the Glen Lake area.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:32 am

Great Escape flew a height balloon and the ride would be very visible from Glen Lake. Six Flags was arguing that the 2001 height limit in Ghost Town was outdated since the trees had grown in the past 18 years. I'll be interested to see if Six Flags tries to move the ride's location, change the ride size, or continue to fight it.

AO.PNG
Photo from Post Star (article below)

For comparison, you can't see any of the park's other rides including the Sky Coaster or Sasquatch since they sit in the lower areas of the park.

Link to Post Star

QUEENSBURY — Great Escape floated a balloon Thursday morning to show town officials what a new ride would look like from Glen Lake.

Great Escape officials had described the 165-foot-tall ride as “minimal, not substantial, not material.” They also said trees have grown and the ride would likely not be noticeable.

But from Glen Lake, the balloon and much of the crane that held it could both be seen. The crane lifted the balloon to 165 feet.

Residents reacted with shock and anger after seeing it from their windows Thursday morning. They had expected to be able to see only “a red dot” for the balloon.

“It is much more egregious,” said Linda Clark, a lake resident and secretary of the Glen Lake Protective Association. “Even the crane is seen from the lake.”

Paul McPhillips, president of the Glen Lake Protective Association, was one of many who went to multiple locations to see how much of the ride would be visible.

“They’re not edging over the limit. They are busting over the limit,” he said. “It will be very visible.”

Others began passing photos of the balloon to those who were working during the event and asked everyone to come to the Nov. 26 meeting of the Queensbury Planning Board to object to the location of the ride.

They want it placed in another part of the park.

In 2001, as Great Escape sought approval to expand, the company floated balloons to determine how high new rides could be without disturbing the view for its neighbors.

In the area for the proposed ride — in Ghost Town — the company agreed to place rides no taller than 135 feet. That’s because balloons showed that taller rides could be seen from the lake and from residential roads around the lake. The rules that the town, residents and company agreed to are codified as the 2001 Environmental Impact Statement.

Great Escape officials acknowledged last month they could place the ride in other places, but said they want to draw more customers to Ghost Town and prefer a tall ride so it can be seen from Route 9. That might pull in more customers, they said.

Residents stressed they aren’t opposed to Great Escape or new rides.

“We just want them to follow the rules so we can all live in the same neighborhood,” Clark said.

She noted that when she recently put in a porch, she had to follow town rules.

“Granted, it’s just one ride. But when you open the door, the door becomes wide open. It sets a precedent,” she said.

She doesn’t want views from the lake to become views of an amusement park. Even one ride seen above the trees could hurt the view, she said.

“This is going to impact home values, desirability on this lake,” she said. “We are not saying Great Escape should not exist. But it’s not a good neighbor to not stay within the Environmental Impact Statement.”

The engineer who organized the balloon test did not return calls seeking comment.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 am

Wouldn't they still be able to see if it were 30 ft shorter?
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:22 am

I'm guessing it would be less obvious with trees in bloom, but it would be allowed per the agreement.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby rachelmadcow » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:30 am

booink wrote:^It seems like there is a model available that is 40 meters high (roughly 130 feets), which would respect the height limit. Vomatron on the manufacturer's website. If it isn't too late for TGE to modify their order maybe this could be a good compromise.

They should get the bell instead. Would go kinda with a ghost town theme. I also want to see one in person so.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:49 am

The Bell rides look cool, but their capacity is terrible and they already have Extreme Supernova which is a frisbee ride of similar height.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Sluggo77 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:36 pm

So TGE is now proposing a new Ghost Town location for Adirondack Outlaw which they are saying will meet the requirements. Will be interesting to see the full plans and if approval is given.

https://poststar.com/news/local/tall-great-escape-ride-to-be-placed-next-to-condor/article_081a337a-906c-5639-8fb9-274537ccf802.html

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CNYCoasterguy11 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:42 pm

At this point a new location elsewhere in the park seems like a better alternative and a new theme if they were to do that. It seems strange that they would try to put such a tall ride in the highest elevated section of the park in the first place. Not sure how they will shoe horn this into that space, it will also be sad if they have to remove some of the themed buildings just to fit it in.
COASTER COUNT:
TOTAL:142
STEEL:113
WOOD:29
PARKS:27

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!