TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Great Escape (TGE) Discussion Thread

p. 34 - Bobcat wooden coaster announced for 2024!

I was just there on July 1st and had a good time. Yeah, their coasters aren't the greatest, but their other rides and even the overall scenery of the park was great. I can honestly say too that their staff was the friendliest Six Flags staff I've ever seen. I'm happy to hear that they are getting something...they do need it.

Nothing worth a visit? The walk through kiddie attractions are really cool, plus, they have a decent assortment of other rides... the Mine Train is pretty good and they have a nice waterpark.

I would go back.

The park is definitely worth a visit. Whether it's worth repeated revisits for anything other than the waterpark is debatable.

I visited there last summer. Thought the park was ok. They do need a solid coaster besides Comet which I thought was great. Maybe next year will be a huge year for the park. Myabe getting the SLC and a Drop Tower. Nothing's impossible .

Great Escapes a nice park, bigger than I thought it would be though they definitley dont have stellar ride collection (kind of like Michigans Adventre, the market doesnt warrant it). The fact that the upstate New York crowd seemed amazed and in awe by the horrible Boomerang makes me think they probably will be pretty happy with the SLC.

^ Actually, I found their boomerang to be one of the more enjoyable, smoother coasters of the one's I have ridden in the past. It is clear that they maintain it better than some of the other parks. I didn't think that Hershey's boom was all that bad either...

As far as the park, it IS nice to see them investing money and attractions. I agree in that it was one of the cleanest, well staffed SF parks that I have ever visited. All they need to do is tear out 'Steamin' Demon' and perhaps replace it with a more iconic coaster being that it is at full view in the front of the park (Big Dipper would be a nice add). Yes, SD is a classic Arrow looper, but it has seen better days...and is really not all that fun.

I would definitely go back to this park, though. It has a lot of charm and a great water park! I would like to go back for the Mega-Wedgie alone!

I think Steamin' Demon has good placement in front of the park. It could use a nice paint job and some landscaping.

Cedar Point keeps Corkscrew well maintained & looking new, and it's still beautiful after all these years. GE should do likewise with Steamin' Demon.

The fact that the upstate New York crowd seemed amazed and in awe by the horrible Boomerang

I haven't noticed the upstate NY crowd being in awe over Boomerang. When we want to be amazed, we drive over to SFNE and ride Superman.

It's probably gonna be Serial Thriller. They sorely need SOMETHING though. One decent coaster and a collection of crap is just not enough. I'd prefer a hyper or at least a baby hyper, but whatcha gonna do.

One decent coaster? I'm pretty sure it is just a collection of crap. I absolutely loved the park itself though.

This is a very fun park, that is fun in spite of a very average ride line up. The look is great, but they should also get everything up and working in the very nice looking old west section. Both visits the condor ride has been down and some shps closed. That is a very nice section of the park, they should also do something with the crack axle building.

Overall I am just happy to hear shapiro really likes this park.

It's probably gonna be Serial Thriller. They sorely need SOMETHING though. One decent coaster and a collection of crap is just not enough. I'd prefer a hyper or at least a baby hyper, but whatcha gonna do.

One decent coaster? I'm pretty sure it is just a collection of crap. I absolutely loved the park itself though.

Nah, I think Comet's quite a fun ride.

It really is a great family ride. It's the kind of coaster a small kid who doesn't like the loops or isn't over 54 inches can ride over and over and never really get tired of it. At Opryland the final helix was built down into the ground with bushes and trees hanging out and it was awesome.

I am confused...isn't this park own by Parc Management? so why is six flags still building more rides for them?

I think you're thinking of Darien Lake. Six Flags still owns The Great Escape, and it sounds like they want to keep it & make improvements, which is good.

All this Great Escape talk made me head up there last night. Nice airtime towards the back on Comet!

Canyon Blaster's not bad, it'll be better when some of the trees get bigger and hide some of the course from view while riding.

Personally I though the operations were brutal at GE, and the locals at the park were annoying. My one experience there was just brutal.

The highlight of that day was a rideop on Comet backing her fat ass into the e-stop button, and then calling maintenance out because they had no idea how to restart the ride.

Don't forget, Great Escape also recieved AstroWorld's Tidal Wave (INTAMIN Superspalsh thingy). Could Six Flags market this as a "thrill ride"? I'd doubt it, but it's Six Flags.

-Tatum

I think, and I could be wrong, It was said Tidal Wave can't be rebuilt because there was some damage to it. I don't think it was ever confirmed, but thats what I read on some other site.

I think its going to be the SLC. Even if they put the new trains on it the ride will still be rough. I no this because I rode the Great Nor' Easter with its new trains. The seats are comfortable but the ride is still rough.

Except that most people agree that Serial Thriller was one of the smoothest SLCs out there. I know it was the smoothest of the 5 I've ridden.